Can MakeMKV properly rip 3D Blu-rays?

Everything related to Blu-ray 3D and 3D MKV files
Mojo1940

Re: Can MakeMKV properly rip 3D Blu-rays?

Post by Mojo1940 »

segfaulted wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:50 pm
mkvtoolnix-gui
I installed this and I can see how to change the 13 to a 14 for right eye, so I will try doing that. But I don't even see the MVC inside the MKV file... even though I know it is there. So that is why my playback doesn't happen in 3d... if I can't see the MVC file, then the player must not be able to see it either???

Also, I just realized that swapping the 13 for a 14 isn't going to solve anything since I must still turn it into a m2ts... and then that 13/14 is completely gone, right?
segfaulted

Post by segfaulted »

Mojo1940 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:34 am
I installed this and I can see how to change the 13 to a 14 for right eye, so I will try doing that. But I don't even see the MVC inside the MKV file... even though I know it is there. So that is why my playback doesn't happen in 3d... if I can't see the MVC file, then the player must not be able to see it either???
Importing a m2ts with AVC+MVC processed with tsMuxeR into mkvtoolnix doesn't seem to work for me. On the other hand, MakeMKV is able to mux a 3D mkv file which can then go into mkvtoolnix.

mkvtoolnix treats the AVC and MVC together as one video track. If mkvtoolnix-gui recognizes the MVC data, you should see that the Destination filename has a file extension of .mk3d instead of the usual .mkv extension. You can rename it to .mkv at any time.

Mojo1940 wrote: Also, I just realized that swapping the 13 for a 14 isn't going to solve anything since I must still turn it into a m2ts... and then that 13/14 is completely gone, right?
That's right. If you convert from mkv to a different container format like m2ts, that specific piece of info won't carry over. Also, your TV or video player needs to support mkv along with MVC and the stereoscopy option, otherwise this whole exercise won't solve the problem with the swapped MVC eye. I know that PC video players like mpc-hc+madVR will handle it correctly.
Mojo1940

Post by Mojo1940 »

segfaulted wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 3:18 am
mkvtoolnix treats the AVC and MVC together as one video track. If mkvtoolnix-gui recognizes the MVC data, you should see that the Destination filename has a file extension of .mk3d instead of the usual .mkv extension. You can rename it to .mkv at any time.
Thank you! Yes, I saw it was .mk3d so I never thought of renaming that. However, neither my Sony TV nor my Sony X700 player "seems" to support the 3d MKV files via their USB ports... so that is my primary limiting factor at switching the 13 to 14 for "right eye" movies. They only play MKV files in 2D for some reason. And my thought was that the MKV stored the MVC file in the "first position" but I have no way of knowing if that is an issue with the MKV file or if that is just how the tsMuxeR program opens the MKV file... but clearly every single time the MVC is first when I open it in tsMuxeR.