Can Stop Flashing Drives for 4k UHD

Paid services by fellow forum members. Not affiliated with MakeMKV.
jdcollie

Can Stop Flashing Drives for 4k UHD

Post by jdcollie »

So if you're like me you've been following these and other forums looking for a drive that will open and copy 4K UHD disks without the heavy lifting and aftermarket modifications for those of us not quite tech savvy enough to feel comfortable with flashing. Below is a link to a video that I made showing the drive open and copy a recent release UHD disk without issue.

https://youtu.be/vLLNUUTUnSk
Video about how to use MakeMKV with the new pioneer drives to open UHD 4K disks without errors, flashing, or having to find and assemble libraries of files in order to make the program function. Below is the link to the Amazon page that sells the exact disk that was purchased and used in the video.

No modifications were made to the drive after purchase. This drive has been tested on both MAC and PC platforms with similar results. This was done in the US, so can't comment on other countries if they are shipping these drives out with the same firmware version. Link to the drive below

https://amzn.to/37B6B0N
Link is an Affiliate Link

I have tested on over a dozen 4K disks from various studios and have yet to find one that doesn't work. On other threads there is discussion that three layered UHDs can have issues on some drives. Unfortunately I do not currently have one available for testing, so can't advise on this without one to test.
Johnqmalapert

Re: Can Stop Flashing Drives for 4k UHD

Post by Johnqmalapert »

IS this still true? If so, why does all that other info re flashing exist if people can just buy these and call it a day? :?
-----I just read the other thread. Apparently drives manufactured after dec 2022 do not work. Makes sense since this post was made prior. Perhaps OP should revise?
dcoke22

Re: Can Stop Flashing Drives for 4k UHD

Post by dcoke22 »

Probably just need to mention here that the current firmware on new Pioneer drives doesn't work with MakeMKV. This will hopefully change in the future.

Pioneer firmware update February 2023