Asus Bw-16d1ht - drive doesn't open

Paid services by fellow forum members. Not affiliated with MakeMKV.
Frosafelix

Asus Bw-16d1ht - drive doesn't open

Post by Frosafelix »

Hi. I've bought a Bw-16d1ht off someone who said it was in new condition, and asked if they had an enclosure (there aren't any being sold here in Norway) and they told me that I could connect it with nothing but a SATA cable. I bought a SATA to e-SATA cable (I have an e-SATA connection on my Dell docking station) since the speed would be greater than using SATA to USB, the drive is detected by my PC and visible on MakeMKV, but when I press the eject button, nothing happens. When I right click the drive and press eject from the PC, nothing happens. I tried ejecting it with a pin, and putting a CD inside to see if I could get the drive started, the drive loads for a while to finally reveal that no CD is detected.

First thing I did when I received the drive was to check on the forum how to flash the drive. The firmware was version 3.00 and I read that the recommended for MakeMKV was 3.10, so I downloaded the firmware from here, as well as the flashing tool. I first created a dump file of the firmware it came with, and then proceeded to write the new firmware using the tool. It is now identified by MakeMKV as 3.10. I'm at a loss as what can be the issue. Could the drive be defective? Could I have botched flashing the drive in some way? Is it the cable that's the issue and should I get a SATA to USB cable or order an enclosure abroad and wait for it to come?
Ezatoka

Re: Asus Bw-16d1ht - drive doesn't open

Post by Ezatoka »

A SATA drive needs a data cable (the one you have) but also a power cable.

Just connecting it via data cable might tell the system, what is connected, but there would be no power at all for all other things like opening the tray or spinning the disc.