Asus BW-16D1HT - Might need flashing - Manchester, UK

Paid services by fellow forum members. Not affiliated with MakeMKV.
michaelsft

Asus BW-16D1HT - Might need flashing - Manchester, UK

Post by michaelsft »

Hi all, I just bought this drive which I plan on using via USB in my Mac when it arrives later today. I figured I could flash it myself without worry but having noticed this sub-forum I'm starting to wonder if it's actually more involved and that in actual fact I won't be able to do it and instead have to send it to someone to do it instead. Is that right?

Anyone near Manchester, UK who does this?
dcoke22

Re: Asus BW-16D1HT - Might need flashing - Manchester, UK

Post by dcoke22 »

If you can type commands into Terminal, you can flash a drive on your Mac.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23129
michaelsft

Re: Asus BW-16D1HT - Might need flashing - Manchester, UK

Post by michaelsft »

Thanks very much for the link, after some trial and error I was able to flash my drive. I kept getting 'file not found' errors even though the bin file was right there so instead of copying in the complete command I had to drag the files in one by one. I made a copy of the contents folder on my desktop and dropped in the sdf and firmware bin files and ended up with this command. Finally it asked and I could type yes and after 20 seconds I saw 'Done successfully'

./makemkvcon f -d '/IOBDServices/53FD3922' -f /Users/username/Desktop/Contents/MacOS/sdf.bin rawflash main -i /Users/mdcoates/Desktop/Contents/MacOS/ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014.bin

In MakeMKV I now see:

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Success! For reference I have ASUS-BW-16D1HT on 3.10 and I've connected it to my Mac using the Unitek Y-1039. If anyone ever reads this maybe what I've written will help someone else persevere.