New to ripping/burning, need help

Paid services by fellow forum members. Not affiliated with MakeMKV.
ShikaLGZ

New to ripping/burning, need help

Post by ShikaLGZ » Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:19 am

Hi,

I am embarking on a journey to burn some 4K movies to BD50 discs, and after coming across this forum I’m unsure whether I need to have a “flashed” drive or if any UHD drive will be enough to burn to BD50? I have basically no interest in ripping any movies onto my pc, so if I can get away with just buying a drive that will burn well then I will do that. Any advice or education around all of this would be much appreciated. I’m kinda fumbling around in the dark at the moment.

I live in Australia so any drive recommendations would also be super helpful from people who have experience burning 2160p ISO’s onto BD50 discs.
Thanks!

MartyMcNuts

Re: New to ripping/burning, need help

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:37 pm

ShikaLGZ wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:19 am
Hi,

I am embarking on a journey to burn some 4K movies to BD50 discs, and after coming across this forum I’m unsure whether I need to have a “flashed” drive or if any UHD drive will be enough to burn to BD50? I have basically no interest in ripping any movies onto my pc, so if I can get away with just buying a drive that will burn well then I will do that. Any advice or education around all of this would be much appreciated. I’m kinda fumbling around in the dark at the moment.

I live in Australia so any drive recommendations would also be super helpful from people who have experience burning 2160p ISO’s onto BD50 discs.
Thanks!
You will need software to reencode/shrink them as UHD discs are larger than BD50.

Any BD drive that can write BD50 will work as you are creating a BD disc, not a UHD disc.

To read the UHD discs, you will need a compatible drive . Check out my site as I'm in Australia. Link is in my signature.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com

dcoke22

Re: New to ripping/burning, need help

Post by dcoke22 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:36 am

Pioneer drives are considered the best for actually burning discs, especially if you're going to burn two layer BD50 discs.

As Marty said, most of my 4K UHDs are larger than 50GB. Even just the movie with no extras is bigger than 50GB. You'll need to figure out how to transcode them down to a smaller size to burn them onto a BD50.