ASUS SBW-06D5H-U - which drive to replace it?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Swazirs

ASUS SBW-06D5H-U - which drive to replace it?

Post by Swazirs »

I have the external BD drive ASUS SBW-06D5H-U, which I bought knowing it didn't support UHD, for example, or some types of discs.

I always used an old LG drive, for my previous case, which was internal.

However, I had to ditch this because a bad PC case was compromising my hardware. So I had to go for external. But there's one thing bothering me enough so I'll get rid of this ASUS, too.

It's the insertion and removal of the disc, which reminds me of the old PlayStation (1), that worked the same. We need to make some effort doing it, because the disc never enters or exit the drive easily. It's always stuck either way, and I hate the idea of putting my hands over the disc surface to keep trying.

While with an INTERNAL drive, all I had to do was to insert the disc, and hit a button for the tray to close it. Same ease with removing, just pull it off.

I was wondering if any internal drive with the Vantec enclosure would be what I actually needed in the first place. If that's so, I'll sell this ASUS and get any internal drive, put in this USB enclosure, and solve that for good.

For the ASUS I also had to buy a 2m USB-C to 3.2 Micro-B cable. The one that accompanied the box was too short, 0.5m.
Coopervid

Re: ASUS SBW-06D5H-U - which drive to replace it?

Post by Coopervid »

Swazirs wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 7:08 pm
I have the external BD drive ASUS SBW-06D5H-U, which I bought knowing it didn't support UHD, for example, or some types of discs.

I always used an old LG drive, for my previous case, which was internal.

However, I had to ditch this because a bad PC case was compromising my hardware. So I had to go for external. But there's one thing bothering me enough so I'll get rid of this ASUS, too.

It's the insertion and removal of the disc, which reminds me of the old PlayStation (1), that worked the same. We need to make some effort doing it, because the disc never enters or exit the drive easily. It's always stuck either way, and I hate the idea of putting my hands over the disc surface to keep trying.

While with an INTERNAL drive, all I had to do was to insert the disc, and hit a button for the tray to close it. Same ease with removing, just pull it off.

I was wondering if any internal drive with the Vantec enclosure would be what I actually needed in the first place. If that's so, I'll sell this ASUS and get any internal drive, put in this USB enclosure, and solve that for good.

For the ASUS I also had to buy a 2m USB-C to 3.2 Micro-B cable. The one that accompanied the box was too short, 0.5m.
Please post your Makemkv info. To be honest, there is a very little chance that this can be upgraded.
Swazirs

Post by Swazirs »

I am not upgrading anything, I am getting rid of this model...

I was wondering if any internal drive even with the Vantec enclosure looks like this:

https://i.postimg.cc/HkmZGgkR/TRAY.jpg

If the answer is yes, I am getting any model, ASAP.

Because a drive with a tray like this is perhaps the worst hardware ever invented:

https://i.postimg.cc/26gG0ptH/TRAY2.jpg

I wouldn't want any other like that, even for free.

Also forgot to add that I am not looking into any of the slot-load ones.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Swazirs wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:52 pm
I am not upgrading anything, I am getting rid of this model...

I was wondering if any internal drive even with the Vantec enclosure looks like this:

https://i.postimg.cc/HkmZGgkR/TRAY.jpg

If the answer is yes, I am getting any model, ASAP.

Because a drive with a tray like this is perhaps the worst hardware ever invented:

https://i.postimg.cc/26gG0ptH/TRAY2.jpg

I wouldn't want any other like that, even for free.

Also forgot to add that I am not looking into any of the slot-load ones.
Maybe It's just me. But I don't like your attitude. You should first check your chance of upgrading and then take the next steps. But that's me.
Swazirs

Post by Swazirs »

What do you mean by upgrading? I wasn't talking about flashing this drive for UHD use and this isn't even possible. And even if it was, I am ditching the thing, it's baffling how manufacturers think these and slot-load models are a good idea.

Anyway, I already confirmed internal drives work as I was used to, it's best to mount them with a Vantec NexStar DX2 enclosure.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Generally speaking, Pioneer drives are held in the highest regard for use with MakeMKV these days. Unfortunately, you can't generally just a buy a Pioneer drive from your favorite retailer since Pioneer updated the firmware on all their new drives specifically to disable support for MakeMKV.

Pioneer firmware update February 2023

Your best bet is to buy one with old firmware from a seller in your region. https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20

The larger 'internal' Pioneer drives will work fine in a Vantec enclosure.

If your existing ASUS drive is useful for some kinds of discs with MakeMKV, there's no reason to get rid of it. MakeMKV can work with more than one optical drive. In MakeMKV's preferences, turn on 'Ask for single drive mode'. This allows you to launch more than one instance of MakeMKV and 'lock' an instance to a specific drive.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Swazirs wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 11:15 pm
What do you mean by upgrading? I wasn't talking about flashing this drive for UHD use and this isn't even possible. And even if it was, I am ditching the thing, it's baffling how manufacturers think these and slot-load models are a good idea.

Anyway, I already confirmed internal drives work as I was used to, it's best to mount them with a Vantec NexStar DX2 enclosure.
Sell it on ebay and tell the buyer to contact me here.