Flash new Asus 16D1TH ?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Overkill

Flash new Asus 16D1TH ?

Post by Overkill »

What do I need to do to make a new BW-16D1TH/BLK/B/AS capable of reading UHD discs?

I have looked around this forum for a few hours but all I can find is seemingly outdated information in the order of about 2 to 3 years old, but nothing that seems relevant to a drive manufactured in September 2023, apart from the Ultimate Fashing Guide suggestion here:
Recommended Firmware to flash for MakeMKV:

Asus BW-16D1HT on any Firmware directly to > Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK
I have checked in the latest release of MakeMKV with Chronicle inserted and it reports that the platform is the correct platform IC.

Here's the information:
[Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom1
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.11
Serial number: [redacted]
Firmware date: 2120-12-01 17:59
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 25

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959

Disc Information
Label: CHRONICLE
Timestamp: 2012-04-24 20:23:12
Protection: AACS v25, BD+ v2012.4
Data capacity: 32.20 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM
Number of layers: 2
Channel bit length: 74,5 nm (25.0 GB max. per layer)
Asus BW-16D1TH/BLK/B/AS September 2023 KCC REM-LGEDMBH16NS40

Could someone please confirm that the Ultimate Flashing Guide is current and correct for my Asus drive, and also direct me to the tools and guides needed for flashing this drive. I am totally adept with following clear instructions but I'm being very cautious as a new user here and I don't want to make any mistakes that would render this drive useless. Thank you.
Overkill

Re: Flash new Asus 16D1TH ?

Post by Overkill »

Never mind. I found the SDtool Flasher 1.3.5 and the DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.10_MK.bin and successfully flashed the drive firmware back to 3.10 from 3.11 thanks to this great forum and it's community!

I'm now going to test it with a relatively recent UHD BluRay: Black Panther Wakanda Forever

Wish me luck!
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

The 1st post is maintained & current. Dates reflect when it was originally posted.

Guidance remains (w/ links to FW/tool):

SDFtool Flasher
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

d00zah wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:24 pm
The 1st post is maintained & current. Dates reflect when it was originally posted.

SDFtool Flasher
I'd already done it before your post but thanks for the clarification. As per my previous follow up post here I am now attempting a rip of UHD Black Panther Wakanda Forever as it's a relatively recent title that could possibly pose a problem, although I'm hoping not. It's currently 17 minutes into the rip and the read rate is slowly increasing and currently 31.2M/s [7.2X]. I'll report my findings here when it's done. Thanks again!
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Overkill wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:57 pm
d00zah wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:24 pm

SDFtool Flasher
I'd already done it before your post but thanks for the clarification. As per my previous follow up post here I am now attempting a rip of UHD Black Panther Wakanda Forever as it's a relatively recent title that could possibly pose a problem, although I'm hoping not. It's currently 17 minutes into the rip and the read rate is slowly increasing and currently 31.2M/s [7.2X]. I'll report my findings here when it's done. Thanks again!
Your previous post was in "limbo" (awaiting approval) when I answered. Glad you got it sorted.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

I successfully ripped the title, but I have a question that's probably easy to answer.

This is my first rip of any BluRay title. I'm unfamiliar with how the Dolby Atmos audio is ripped as I have only ever used high end Dolby Atmos multichannel processing receivers in combination with high end 4K UHD stand alone BluRay players, so I have never seen what gets copied and put in the MKV container.

MakeMKV shows "Dolby TrueHD Atmos" on the Black Panther Wakanda Forever disc as the top audio track before ripping, and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse Of Madness shows only "TrueHD Surround 7.1" as the top track. Both titles however show Dolby Atmos and Dolby TrueHD as being present on the UHD disc in both retail cases on the back cover.

Are these the same?
Do they contain both TrueHD and Dolby Atmos as a kind of hybrid interleave/multiplex in one track?

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thank you.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

If anyone is interested I initially connected the drive to some random USB 3.0 5GBPS to SATA 3.5" hard disc drive enclosure supplied by a company called Dynamode. I think it may have originally been sold by PC World about 15 years ago. I flashed the drive through the caddy's SATA to USB 3.0 adaptor without any problems and I'm still using it whilst now on my third UHD title rip so far. It's a bit of an improvised connection, and the caddy is open with the SATA data and SATA power sticking out and plugged into the back of the ASUS 16D1TH on my coffee table, and the 5v/12v multi pin round connector plugged into it from it's 240v AC adaptor. It's not elegant but it works as intended.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Overkill wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2024 2:30 am
I successfully ripped the title, but I have a question that's probably easy to answer.

This is my first rip of any BluRay title. I'm unfamiliar with how the Dolby Atmos audio is ripped as I have only ever used high end Dolby Atmos multichannel processing receivers in combination with high end 4K UHD stand alone BluRay players, so I have never seen what gets copied and put in the MKV container.

MakeMKV shows "Dolby TrueHD Atmos" on the Black Panther Wakanda Forever disc as the top audio track before ripping, and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse Of Madness shows only "TrueHD Surround 7.1" as the top track. Both titles however show Dolby Atmos and Dolby TrueHD as being present on the UHD disc in both retail cases on the back cover.

Are these the same?
Do they contain both TrueHD and Dolby Atmos as a kind of hybrid interleave/multiplex in one track?

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thank you.
Atmos is usually delivered as a sub-stream of a Dolby TrueHD audio track. But TrueHD does not necessarily always have Atmos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Atmos#Implementation_and_differences_from_commercial_implementations

MediaInfo is a handy utility for seeing what's in a .mkv file.