USB-C work okay? enough speed / throughput?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
drathbun

USB-C work okay? enough speed / throughput?

Post by drathbun »

My positively ancient desktop appears to be giving up. I haven't bought new hardware in a while, and as I am shopping I am seeing that none of the replacement desktops (much less laptops) seem to come with optical drives. Or even cases that are able to support adding in my own optical drives. Or if they come with optical drives they're DVD only.

I have two perfectly functional blu-ray optical drives in my current system. Both work fine with Make MKV. Been using them for years. I believe that I have read previous topics where folks suggested that external drives were more prone to read issues due to the speed that Make MKV tries to read, or that there were timing issues, or whatever. Basically in my head I have a message that says, "Don't use external USB connected drives for ripping."

That conception (correct or otherwise on my part) was before USB C became a thing. If I bought a new desktop, could I buy a USB C external drive bay and hook it up and be successful? Definitely appreciate any advice or suggestions that folks may have. Thanks!
MartyMcNuts

Re: USB-C work okay? enough speed / throughput?

Post by MartyMcNuts »

drathbun wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:26 am
My positively ancient desktop appears to be giving up. I haven't bought new hardware in a while, and as I am shopping I am seeing that none of the replacement desktops (much less laptops) seem to come with optical drives. Or even cases that are able to support adding in my own optical drives. Or if they come with optical drives they're DVD only.

I have two perfectly functional blu-ray optical drives in my current system. Both work fine with Make MKV. Been using them for years. I believe that I have read previous topics where folks suggested that external drives were more prone to read issues due to the speed that Make MKV tries to read, or that there were timing issues, or whatever. Basically in my head I have a message that says, "Don't use external USB connected drives for ripping."

That conception (correct or otherwise on my part) was before USB C became a thing. If I bought a new desktop, could I buy a USB C external drive bay and hook it up and be successful? Definitely appreciate any advice or suggestions that folks may have. Thanks!
Nothing wrong with external USB drives. My own PC case doesn't have optical drive bays so all 4 of my drives are connected externally. 3 of those are 5.25" desktop drives in external cases connected via USB 3.0 and the other is a slim external drive connected via USB-C. They all work just fine.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
drathbun

Re: USB-C work okay? enough speed / throughput?

Post by drathbun »

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it.