Re: Seeking Recommendations for the Best Pioneer LibreDrive in 2024

Post by freezer »

Coopervid wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:56 am
freezer wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:14 am
Coopervid wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:19 pm
Send a PM. But most people don't read their PMs. I'm frustrated.
Newb here, and can't PM yet. But maybe you can send me one? I'm after the same advice the OP is looking for.
What is your country of residence?
Canada
merc_for_god

Post by merc_for_god »

Coopervid wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:27 pm
So. Next time I will only send the tutorial and ask if it's understood. And only send the flasher and firmware then. Pretty stupid but when people act so It's the only way.
Hello Coopervid,

I completely understand your frustration with people seemingly skipping over the tutorials you've provided. Your dedication to helping others is truly valuable, and I want to express my gratitude for the time and effort you put into it. I assure you that I did read through the instructions thoroughly. However, my issue was that the flashing process did not proceed as expected, and this particular scenario was not addressed in the available Questions and Answers section. As an engineer, I tend to be meticulous with technical procedures and rely on provided guides to troubleshoot.

I managed to resolve the issue after a system reboot, as I mentioned in my private message thanking you. This experience highlights a potential area for enhancement in the documentation, perhaps adding a section for troubleshooting more obscure issues like the one I encountered. It might help alleviate similar frustrations in the future for both the helpers and those seeking help.

Again, I appreciate your assistance and patience. I'm hopeful we can use this as an opportunity to further improve the resources and support for everyone involved.

Best regards,
merc_for_god
merc_for_god

Post by merc_for_god »

merc_for_god wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:16 pm
Hello Everyone,

I am on the lookout for the most reliable and versatile Pioneer LibreDrive available in 2024. I value a drive that demonstrates both performance and durability, adaptable to various media and software environments. While I have no specific preference between a slim or a 5.25" drive, I am open to suggestions that align with my needs for quality and reliability.

I am located in Canada and would appreciate recommendations that take into account availability and support in my region. My primary use case involves backing up my Blu-ray 4K collection, and I am looking for a drive that excels in these areas.

I understand that the right choice may depend on many factors, including compatibility with various media, software, and the overall longevity and robustness of the drive. Therefore, any detailed insights into the Pioneer models, as well as your personal experiences with them, would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you in advance for your advice and recommendations!
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to provide an update for everyone. I purchased two drives; one was recommended by Coopervid, which I had to flash. I also bought another drive https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0843N ... UTF8&psc=1 that appears to be much faster and works with MakeMKV Beta right out of the box. If you have any questions, please do let me know. I will be happy to help out.
Trek_Doctor

Post by Trek_Doctor »

Coopervid wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:40 pm
Trek_Doctor wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:22 pm
I’m afraid I’m in the same boat as the previous poster. I’m located in North Texas (US), and have now accumulated enough non-libre-compatible UHD drives to write my own do-not-buy blog.

I’d appreciate any suggestions as to a current source for a compatible drive; as I’m also Newb-certified, no PMs for me here…yet…

On behalf of me (and my wallet), thanks in advance for any leads!
Which drives do you have before I respond via PM?
Currently in possession of:

- Pioneer BDR XD08UMB (V1.02 FW)
- Pioneer BDR XD08B (V1.02 FW)
- Pioneer BDR TD05D (V1.00 FW)
- Matshita BD-MLT UJ240AF (V1.01 FW)
- TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633J (Non-UHD/Non_BD in factory config) (V1.0 FW)
- LG BP60NB10 (V1.02 - Flashed successfully after my original post - TY to all for this!)

Hope this is of some help as you make recommendations - and once again, many thanks.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

merc_for_god wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:04 am
Coopervid wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:27 pm
So. Next time I will only send the tutorial and ask if it's understood. And only send the flasher and firmware then. Pretty stupid but when people act so It's the only way.
Hello Coopervid,

I completely understand your frustration with people seemingly skipping over the tutorials you've provided. Your dedication to helping others is truly valuable, and I want to express my gratitude for the time and effort you put into it. I assure you that I did read through the instructions thoroughly. However, my issue was that the flashing process did not proceed as expected, and this particular scenario was not addressed in the available Questions and Answers section. As an engineer, I tend to be meticulous with technical procedures and rely on provided guides to troubleshoot.

I managed to resolve the issue after a system reboot, as I mentioned in my private message thanking you. This experience highlights a potential area for enhancement in the documentation, perhaps adding a section for troubleshooting more obscure issues like the one I encountered. It might help alleviate similar frustrations in the future for both the helpers and those seeking help.

Again, I appreciate your assistance and patience. I'm hopeful we can use this as an opportunity to further improve the resources and support for everyone involved.

Best regards,
merc_for_god
You were supposed to read the tutorial -not the manual. Between the last two pictures it clearly states that you have to reboot or disconnect power for USB-attached drives.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Trek_Doctor wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:31 am
Coopervid wrote:
Trek_Doctor wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:22 pm
I’m afraid I’m in the same boat as the previous poster. I’m located in North Texas (US), and have now accumulated enough non-libre-compatible UHD drives to write my own do-not-buy blog.

I’d appreciate any suggestions as to a current source for a compatible drive; as I’m also Newb-certified, no PMs for me here…yet…

On behalf of me (and my wallet), thanks in advance for any leads!

- LG BP60NB10 (V1.02 - Flashed successfully after my original post - TY to all for this!)

Hope this is of some help as you make recommendations - and once again, many thanks.
Please post the Makemkv info for your TD05D. The XD08 have scrambled firmwares and can't be flashed.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

freezer wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:58 pm
Coopervid wrote:
freezer wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:14 am

Newb here, and can't PM yet. But maybe you can send me one? I'm after the same advice the OP is looking for.
Canada
Do you want a full size or a slim drive?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

merc_for_god wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:30 am
merc_for_god wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:16 pm
Hello Everyone,

I am on the lookout for the most reliable and versatile Pioneer LibreDrive available in 2024. I value a drive that demonstrates both performance and durability, adaptable to various media and software environments. While I have no specific preference between a slim or a 5.25" drive, I am open to suggestions that align with my needs for quality and reliability.

I am located in Canada and would appreciate recommendations that take into account availability and support in my region. My primary use case involves backing up my Blu-ray 4K collection, and I am looking for a drive that excels in these areas.

I understand that the right choice may depend on many factors, including compatibility with various media, software, and the overall longevity and robustness of the drive. Therefore, any detailed insights into the Pioneer models, as well as your personal experiences with them, would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you in advance for your advice and recommendations!
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to provide an update for everyone. I purchased two drives; one was recommended by Coopervid, which I had to flash. I also bought another drive https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0843N ... UTF8&psc=1 that appears to be much faster and works with MakeMKV Beta right out of the box. If you have any questions, please do let me know. I will be happy to help out.
You need to be very lucky that the drive you linked still has old firmware. People can try but need to return it if it has newer firmware.
Trek_Doctor

Post by Trek_Doctor »

Coopervid wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:19 am
Trek_Doctor wrote:
Coopervid wrote:

Please post the Makemkv info for your TD05D. The XD08 have scrambled firmwares and can't be flashed.
I suspected as much, based on the experiences of others here and elsewhere online.

Here is the MakeMKV info, as requested:

Drive Information

Manufacturer: PIONEER

Product: BD-RW BDR-TD05D

Revision: 1.00

Serial number: LKDL114373WL

Firmware date: 2012-07-13

Bus encryption flags: 1B

Highest AACS version: 77

LibreDrive Information

Drive platform: Pioneer RS8211

Firmware version: ID84

No disc inserted
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Trek_Doctor wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:11 pm
Coopervid wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:19 am
Trek_Doctor wrote:

I suspected as much, based on the experiences of others here and elsewhere online.

Here is the MakeMKV info, as requested:

Drive Information

Manufacturer: PIONEER

Product: BD-RW BDR-TD05D

Revision: 1.00

Serial number: LKDL114373WL

Firmware date: 2012-07-13

Bus encryption flags: 1B

Highest AACS version: 77

LibreDrive Information

Drive platform: Pioneer RS8211

Firmware version: ID84

No disc inserted
No. Can't be made UHD capable.
freezer

Post by freezer »

Coopervid wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:20 am
freezer wrote:
Coopervid wrote:

Canada
Prefer slim (external).
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

freezer wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:57 pm
Coopervid wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:20 am
freezer wrote:

Canada
Prefer slim (external).
Check PM.
wayneng99

Post by wayneng99 »

Hi all, I am new to this forum. My previous Verbatim DVD writer just died and it is a good reason to get a BD writer. I am looking for a Libre Drive. After reading some posts, people said Pioneer is the best. My residence country is Hong Kong and I prefer external slim too. May I have a guideline/materials for drive selection or flashing the drive? Thank you.
shali

Post by shali »

Hi!
In the next few years I like to transfer my disc-collection (3000+ CDs and 500+ DVDs and BDs and 3D-BDs and 4k-BDs) to HDD and I am looking for the best drive in the Pioneer range to do it.

No need of officialy supported UHD because I don't have an Intel SGX capable Computer. Will use MakeMKV for transfer to HDD and maybe VLC for playback

Europe-based

I have read some comments about slim drives to be shacking and ratteling on the table because of the low weight and I am curious about errors may occur because of that.

An 5.25 external drive, 5.25 internal drive with case or a very robust slim drive are possible.

Don't like Slot-In, will prefer Tray or Top-loader.

Will use it on different PCs and Laptops, most of them offline on Windows 7.

I have read about the noise and vibration reducing coating of the BDR-S13E-X and I am concerned about the longelivity of this coating because EVERY rubberized surface on my devices (IBM and Lenovo Thinkpads, USB-Sticks, Blackberry Smartphone) became sticky after a couple of years and such a coating on the internal tray is a No-Go for me.

I am confused about the nomenclature of Pioneer because the picture of the external BDR-X13E-S is similar to the internal BDR-S13EBK and the same for BDR-X13EBK and BDR-213EBK, so there seems to be no official external choice of BDR-S13E-X.

Because I don't like to use the drive only for ripping it needs to have M-Disc and BDXL support.

For audio transfer with EAC has a Pioneer drive any kind of advantages (audio check function of BDR-S13E-X, PureRead 3 or4, ???) or can I use every other (older) drive and only need to calibrate the offsets with the reference CDs.

So far:
BDR-S13E-X with Vantec NexStar DX2 questionnable because of coating
BDR-X13E-S =?= BDR-S13EBK with Vantec NexStar DX2 possible, better quality
BDR-X13EBK =?= BDR-213EBK with Vantec NexStar DX2 possible, lower quality
BDR-XS07TUHD/TS No-Go because of Slot-in
BDR-XD08EMB-S No-Go because of coating
BDR-XD08TB/TS/TG questionnable because of no official Windows 7 support and maybe stability problems
BDR-XD07TUHD/TB/TS possible but maybe stabibilty problems

Any additional ideas or recommendations?

Feel free to answer her or send me a PM. But because I am new I am not able to send or answer to PMs and I am not able to send Mails to any gmail-account.

Best Regards
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Which country in Europe?