Buffalo BRXL-PUS6U3B

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
nameless

Buffalo BRXL-PUS6U3B

Post by nameless »

Hey folks,

I have a newer Buffalo drive that MakeMKV is saying "Possible, not yet enabled" for - but at this time in reading the full guide it is unclear which firmware I should be looking to flash on the device (if one is ready at all).

How do I go about identifying which firmware is correct here? Am I looking to crossflash a different manufacturers firmware? I can do that - but looking for some confirmation before I risk bricking the drive at all. Thought I'd ask first if anyone has any experience with these drives as I'd love to enable LibreDrive for the associated benefits.
Billycar11

Re: Buffalo BRXL-PUS6U3B

Post by Billycar11 »

whats your makemkv drive info section look like i saw buffalo has a new drive out dont know what in it yet
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
nameless

Post by nameless »

Here's what I see at the moment. If there's more detailed info that can help, happy to grab that as well.

Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

nameless wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 3:53 am
Here's what I see at the moment. If there's more detailed info that can help, happy to grab that as well.

seems to be a BU40N as its using the same name they were using for the other firmware on the other case that was a bu40n.
so i would just follow the BU40N downgrade instructions or get an automated flasher from me or marty.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
nameless

Post by nameless »

Got it - thank you! I assume that means I should go with the 1.04 firmware (HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.04-N000500-212005061142.bin) then? The guide says 1.03 but it looks like the guide was last updated before the MK firmware post with 1.04 in it?

Thanks for your help!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

nameless wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 7:06 am
Got it - thank you! I assume that means I should go with the 1.04 firmware (HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.04-N000500-212005061142.bin) then? The guide says 1.03 but it looks like the guide was last updated before the MK firmware post with 1.04 in it?

Thanks for your help!
NO!! 1.03 is the one you want. 1.04 is garbage.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
nameless

Post by nameless »

Got it - went forward and successfully flashed 1.03 on it :).

Thanks for the guidance folks - this was pretty slick and easy once I knew the right firmware. Time to test out some discs in the next couple days.
tuzow

Post by tuzow »

Confirm this works! Flashed with BU40N 1.03 firmware and was able to rip UHD discs.

The Buffalo BRXL-PUS6U3B seems like a good affordable and portable USB option.
MickTheLinuxGeek

Post by MickTheLinuxGeek »

Hello and good day.

I just recently purchased this exact drive and applied the same firmware mentioned above, I am still getting libredrive possible, not yet enabled. I am running MakeMKV under Debian 12 Linux. When I flashed the firmware, I got a flash successful message. Did I do something wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

/Mike - mick2.a.biel@hotmail.com
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

MickTheLinuxGeek wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:42 pm
Hello and good day.

I just recently purchased this exact drive and applied the same firmware mentioned above, I am still getting libredrive possible, not yet enabled. I am running MakeMKV under Debian 12 Linux. When I flashed the firmware, I got a flash successful message. Did I do something wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

/Mike - mick2.a.biel@hotmail.com
Likely forgot enc
MickTheLinuxGeek

Thank you very much. That did the trick. :D

/Mike
radar3

Post by radar3 »

I just wanted to put a vote of confidence in for this drive. Got it flashed using Marty's GUI SDF tool, with the same firmware versions listed above, and it has been working flawlessly for over four months now, dozens of discs archived for safe keeping.
MickTheLinuxGeek

Yes. I have been using it for a short time know and it works great ripping blu-ray discs, but it is slow ripping regular DVD discs for some reason. I just use another drive I have to rip DVD discs and it is much faster. Do I have something setup wrong with the Buffalo drive? Anyone have any insights? Thanks.

/Mike
radar3

Post by radar3 »

Do you have it plugged in to an additional power adapter as suggested in the setup guide? Keep in mind its DVD read specs are listed at 8x as well, which is common for most external drives and laptop drives. If you're comparing to an internal drive in a desktop computer, those can be much faster.
MickTheLinuxGeek

Hey! Thanks for your reply. I have tried plugging it into an external power adapter and and I got a red indicator light on the drive. It is possible the adapter I tried to use was not providing enough power, but I thought it had the proper rating. I'll have to see if I can track down a better one and see. So, currently I have it plugged in to an additional USB port to supply the power. It works, but it has taken 10 minutes to just get to 4.2x speed. Remember this is while ripping DVDs. When I rip Blu-ray discs, I get the speeds I would expect from the drive. So, I don't know. Thanks again for your reply.

/Michael Biel