Pioneer firmware update February 2023

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
mike admin

Pioneer firmware update February 2023

Post by mike admin »

As many of you have noticed, Pioneer released a mass firmware update for almost all drives. The firmware date is around December 2022 and release date is around February 2023. The sole purpose of this update is to disable LibreDrive and unofficial firmware flashing tools such as DVRtool.
This will eventually be dealt with. The ETA, whether drive flashing would be required, and the flashing process are yet unknown. We are working as fast as we can.
Please do not update the the drive firmware, unless you really need to.
SamuriHL

Re: Pioneer firmware update February 2023

Post by SamuriHL »

Good times. Thanks for the heads up! Just goes to show why once you have a drive working with LibreDrive you LEAVE IT ALONE. LOL
InfinityX

Post by InfinityX »

thank you very much for your attention and for the official announcement, excellent work mike :D
domvar

Post by domvar »

Thank you
pendell

Post by pendell »

Haha, unwittingly updated my brand new S13U-X to 1.04 before seeing this announcement, had to send it back in and get a replacement that was luckily still on 1.03. Will NOT be touching the firmware from now on lmao.
gerard143

Post by gerard143 »

lovely.

just pushed two brand new drives to 1.04 because of this post.... viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28272&p=133236#p133236
mmmtt

Post by mmmtt »

I'm new to all of this so this may seem like a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyways.

Updating firmware is something that has to be done intentionally correct? Windows cannot just decide to update it on it's own can it?

The drive I bought seems to work great out of the box and I'd like to keep it that way.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

mmmtt wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:58 pm
I'm new to all of this so this may seem like a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyways.

Updating firmware is something that has to be done intentionally correct? Windows cannot just decide to update it on it's own can it?

The drive I bought seems to work great out of the box and I'd like to keep it that way.
Yeah firmware is updated manually you go to pioneers site and download it windows update won't do it.

But yeah don't update your firmware
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
D3F3ND3R16

Post by D3F3ND3R16 »

Where to get older versions of the firmware? Like 1.01? I’m intrested in crossflashing an BDR-XD07TS to an BDR-XD07TUHD because these are not possible to buy here or they are extremely overpriced.
gerard143

Post by gerard143 »

I have just taken most recent firmware download hyperlink from pioneer site and replaced the 1.04 with 1.01 and google searched that and found older firmware.
outlier

Post by outlier »

The BDR-X13U-S from Amazon seems to already be shipping with the latest 1.03 firmware (though I'm not entirely certain it was a virgin unit--the cables weren't bound with a wire and the plastic cover for the electric plug wasn't actually on the plug).

I was about to say that there's not yet a danger with the BDR-XD08UMB-S but I see a new set of firmware versions were posted today.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Some status update. Unfortunately, this is taking much longer than expected. One think to note is that downgrade is possible on any version of firmware, and at the very least you would be able to downgrade, even a new drive that came with locked firmware.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

mike admin wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:06 pm
Some status update. Unfortunately, this is taking much longer than expected. One think to note is that downgrade is possible on any version of firmware, and at the very least you would be able to downgrade, even a new drive that came with locked firmware.
Good to hear Mike. Will the downgrade functionality be part of Makemkv or is the separate utility needed?
Konten

Post by Konten »

The successor to the BDR-XS07B-UHD has been out in Japan since last November or so. It's the BDR-XS08MB-S and I imagine it will be released in the US before too long... Its firmware was also updated today and it went from version 1.0 to 1.1 (Libre to not so Libre anymore I presume...)

I had tried to download 1.0 from the Japanese Pioneer website so we would have it in the future should the need arise... Unfortunately, it seems it was never posted which makes sense as it originally came with the unit...

I don't have this drive at the moment as I wanted to wait for it to be released over here but now I'm thinking of buying one in Japan. If it is possible to get the firmware off the drive itself then once this model becomes available in the US (which for sure would be with 1.01 or later), everyone could flash it back to 1.0 as long as downgrading becomes a possibility as per Mike's post.

What do you guys think? Is it possible to get the firmware off a drive? Could this be worthwhile?

EDIT: I know that the below process exists to help enable LibreDrive on new drives:

viewtopic.php?p=129189#p129189

However, can a firmware dump obtained in this way also be used to then flash another drive as well?

And has the BDR-XS08 maybe already been enabled for Libre in MakeMKV?

Thanks, guys!!
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Wait for Mike's response.