Pioneer firmware update February 2023

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Billycar11

Re: Pioneer firmware update February 2023

Post by Billycar11 »

jcfrosty wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:51 am

I have no problem keeping it if we can get it working eventually. In the meantime, it benefits me to have 2 drives for separate machines. One stays connected to the server, so I just ordered a pioneer from you as well to keep me running since my LG desktop drive died after a year and 4 months.

Pioneer seems more reliable as my first pioneer BD (non UHD) drive lasted well over 5 years. Really dissatisfied with LG.
was talking to the developer it will be at least 1 more month
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
i3lue

Post by i3lue »

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-XS07U
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: CEDL011829UC
Firmware date: 2023-01-06
Bus encryption flags: 13
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: Pioneer RS8E21
Firmware version: ID05
Hi. I just purchased this drive and I don't understand what the status means. I thought that FW ver: ID05 was usable but it seems like it is not working. I can't return the drive easily.

Please let me know if there is a way to use this drive as is or if I should try selling it to someone that doesn't care about this use case
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

i3lue wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:23 am

Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: CEDL011829UC
Firmware date: 2023-01-06
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Hi. I just purchased this drive and I don't understand what the status means. I thought that FW ver: ID05 was usable but it seems like it is not working. I can't return the drive easily.

Please let me know if there is a way to use this drive as is or if I should try selling it to someone that doesn't care about this use case
sorry man your out of luck at least another month
libredrive currently only works on 1.01 and 1.02 on that drive.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
i3lue

Post by i3lue »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:29 am
i3lue wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:23 am
sorry man your out of luck at least another month
libredrive currently only works on 1.01 and 1.02 on that drive.
okay. thx
anwudgf

Post by anwudgf »

Greetings everyone,

Wow, have I had an interesting experience with buying Pioneer Blu-ray Optical Disc Drives lately! Over the past two weeks, I've been on a hunt for the perfect drives. For the past four years, I've been using the LG BE16NU50, which has been incredibly reliable. Previously, I had the BE14NU40, which I used to scan my extensive Blu-ray collection. Unfortunately, it stopped working a few years ago, so I sent it to LG for repair. They were fantastic and replaced it with the BE16NU50, which is the newer model designed for up to 4K Blu-ray. While waiting for the updated MakeMKV software to support 4K, I made it a priority to purchase any 4K Blu-ray releases that also included the regular Blu-ray disc.

Since I recently bought a powerful ThinkPad with impressive 4K support and specs (XEON, 64GB RAM, 4K OLED Touch, Nvidia 3080, LTE, 3 TB SSD), weighing over 6 pounds, the only feature it lacked was an internal Blu-ray optical drive, which used to be standard in most laptops a decade ago. After some research, I narrowed down my choices to two drives: 1) BDR-XD08UMB-S and 2) BDR-XS07UHD. The first drive, BDR-XD08UMB-S, is a clamshell 4K Blu-ray drive that worked flawlessly for standard 1080p Blu-rays. However, the latest firmware (1.03) seemed to disable 4K support, as indicated by MakeMKV's message "Possible, but not enabled" when running the drive. Disappointed, I then ordered the Pioneer BDR-XS07UHD, a slot-loading drive. Unfortunately, it produced the same result when attempting to use it with a 4K Blu-ray, again displaying "Possible, but not enabled."

My intention was to have one of these drives with me along with my ThinkPad, so that I could work with physical media while traveling. However, both drives fell short of providing the mobile functionality I desired. At present, my old LG drive remains the only optical drive that meets my requirements, but it requires a proprietary power brick instead of a simple USB-C cable that draws power from the computer itself. I'm currently unsure about what to do. It seems like it will require some effort to make either of these Pioneer drives 4K-compatible once a future firmware release is available from MakeMKV, but there's no announced date for when this might happen. Fortunately, I don't urgently need these drives since I'm not currently traveling for work, and my needs are being met by my LG drive. Nevertheless, I appreciate the design of these Pioneer drives, as they complement my ThinkPad's magnesium case perfectly.

Do any of you have suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Wait or get a Pioneer from the sellers here:
viewforum.php?f=20
stiligFox

Post by stiligFox »

I just got in a Pioneer BDR-XD08 from B&H. This is the information it shows:

Drive Information

OS device name: /dev/rdisk9

Product: BD-RW BDR-XD08

Revision: 1.00

Serial number: BFDL000044UC

Firmware date: 2022-04-03

Bus encryption flags: 1B

Highest AACS version: 75

LibreDrive Information

Drive platform: Pioneer RS9330

Firmware version: GENE
Does this mean it's still running the older (good) firmware? Can I flash it to support LibreDrive yet?

Also - I don't really need UHD support, but I'd like the drive to be able to rip BD at a faster speed. It rips DVD at 8x speed, but BD peaks out at 1.9x. It's supposed to support up to 6x speed for BD single and dual layer disks. Is faster speed possible, and do I need LibreDrive for that?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

stiligFox wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:51 pm

Drive Information

LibreDrive Information

Does this mean it's still running the older (good) firmware? Can I flash it to support LibreDrive yet?

Also - I don't really need UHD support, but I'd like the drive to be able to rip BD at a faster speed. It rips DVD at 8x speed, but BD peaks out at 1.9x. It's supposed to support up to 6x speed for BD single and dual layer disks. Is faster speed possible, and do I need LibreDrive for that?
It will likely be supported in libredrive v2 for pioneer that's still a few weeks to months away.
You should be able to rip 4 x stock with that drive just download the pioneer utility and set max performance
stiligFox

Post by stiligFox »

Oh perfect! I downloaded the utility and sure enough, it's been running between 4x and just shy of 6x now! Much appreciated!
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:34 pm
stiligFox wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:51 pm

Drive Information

LibreDrive Information

It will likely be supported in libredrive v2 for pioneer that's still a few weeks to months away.
You should be able to rip 4 x stock with that drive just download the pioneer utility and set max performance
Read your PM. On 1/16/2023 we received an update. Let me know if you missed it.
drewsg3

Post by drewsg3 »

Drive Information
OS device name: G:
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: --------
Firmware date: 2022-10-24
Highest AACS version: 61

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: RS8E21
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-BDS7
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.02/ID05
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
--

Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive

Saved AACS dump file as

LibreDrive compatible drive is required to open this disc - video can't be decrypted.

Failed to open disc

I just bought an BDR-XS07U, I thought I read it was supposed to work out the box if the firmware was dated before 12/1/2022.. Do I have to flash an older firmware?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

drewsg3 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:38 am
Drive Information

LibreDrive Information
--

Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive

Saved AACS dump file as

LibreDrive compatible drive is required to open this disc - video can't be decrypted.

Failed to open disc

I just bought an BDR-XS07U, I thought I read it was supposed to work out the box if the firmware was dated before 12/1/2022.. Do I have to flash an older firmware?
Your likely not getting hk downloads
Change your DNS
Ungeoblock Russia in your firewall as that's where the server is.
drewsg3

Post by drewsg3 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:48 am
drewsg3 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:38 am
Drive Information

LibreDrive Information
--

Saved AACS dump file as

Failed to open disc

Your likely not getting hk downloads
Change your DNS
Ungeoblock Russia in your firewall as that's where the server is.
Got it. Works now. Thanks
asianwolf

Post by asianwolf »

Hi all,

I see that as of July there was still messages stating that a downgrade and/or workaround for the Pioneer BDR-XS07TUHD would be available soon, as I have the message below which stops me from backing up my UHD discs.

LibreDrive Information

Any progress on this?

I'm running makeMKV v1.17.4 and have been a licensed user since 2013. Has been a great programme to back-up my DVDs, HD-DVDs and Blu-Rays over the years...managing the data on old drives is another matter with many back-ups lost or corrupted over the years. As I still have the discs I've decided to start again and invest in NAS drives etc. However, my 4K movie backups is a non-starter at the moment, because of the above. Should have joined the 4K back-up band last year at least.

Cheers,
arremelle

Post by arremelle »

Hi,

I have the same drive and situation as Asian wolf. I just got my drive from Amazon yesterday and I can read blu-rays just fine but not UHD.

MakeMKV is connected to the internet and I have been using it also for many years with DVD/Blu-rays no problem.

Replying so I can see any updates. Thanks in advanced for the support.