My experience with the Pioneer BDR-XS07S drive

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
cappy2112

My experience with the Pioneer BDR-XS07S drive

Post by cappy2112 »

Hi,

I've only been using Plex for just under 2 years, and don't have as much experience ripping DVDs for use in Plex as most of you.

Before I found this forum, I had arbitrarily bought an Archgon USB drive from Amazon, which has been pretty successful ripping 98% of
all of the DVDs / BRs I own and/or borrowed from local libraries.

When I found this forum and that other drives were available, I ended up buying a
https://www.amazon.com/PIONEER-BDR-XS07 ... omSmile=1 from Billy Carlson.

I am very happy with this drive. It has been able to rip all of the discs which the Archgon could not (with only 1 exception).
I didn't know if the discs were damaged (even though they visibly looked good/clean) or the MakeMKV decryption failed.

When I tried ripping the Picard Season 2 DVD, I had tried DVDs from 2 different libraries, as well as 1 BluRay Disc.
Disc 3 always failed, so I gave up. After getting the Pioneer drive I tried again, it ripped with NO problem at all.

Additionally, the Pioneer drive rips slightly faster than the Archgon and is a bit more quiet.
The only thing missing from the Pioneer drive is an LED that would let me know when the ripping has completed, but
I can live without it.

As of now, I have only 1 disc that always fails no matter how I try to rip it. I assume this is due to the decryption.
McCartney's Wings Over America Bluray fails on the Mac with MakeMKV (both drives mentioned above), as well as on Windows using RedFox AnyDVD HD.
If anyone has successfully ripped this please post the details.

All in All, I'm very happy with this purchase as well as the transaction with Billy Carlson.
I recommend him to others and would do future transactions with him as well.