Weird WH16NS40 issues while ripping UHD disc.

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
DarthXeladier

Weird WH16NS40 issues while ripping UHD disc.

Post by DarthXeladier »

I just received my LG drive today in the mail and it's direct from Amazon, brand new, manufactured August 2022, MT1959, etc. I flashed the drive to 1.02 with no issues and immediately started ripping content. I ripped 4K copies of Batman Begins, The Batman (2022), and Knives Out plus all their special features with no issues. The read rates were always between 20-35 MB/s and would only slow down when getting closer to the end of the rip.

I figured I would do one more film before going to bed, so I popped in my 4K copy of 1917 and started. No issues to begin with. It started at around 18-20 MB/s and started picking up speed like normal. But at about halfway through the rip, I noticed it had dropped down to 8.9MB/s or [2.0X] speed, and then it went lower before stopping completely displaying a "timeout on logical unit" error. I canceled, ejected the disc, cleaned it a little, and then started again. About halfway through the next attempt, it slowed again and then immediately said there was an "illegal request" error. I ejected the disc again, powered off my PC, and then rebooted and started a 3rd attempt.

And it proceeded the same as the 1st attempt. Started normal, good read rate, and then slowed to 8.9 MB/s after about 1/3 of the way through the rip. It kept going at that rate until about 2/3 of the way through and then slowed to 7.1 MB/s and I could hear the disc just spinning and stopping in the drive. It just kept spinning erratically and barely read anymore data. I decided to cancel and try one last time.

It started to slow again about 1/3 of the way through and it kept displaying [SAFE] next to the read rate while spinning erratically and slowing down. Then it display "Hash checked failed for file 00294.m2ts at offset 26386753536, file is corrupt". I thought that it would stop after that, but to my shock, it immediately ramped right back up to over 30 MB/s after showing that log and completed the rest of the rip with no problem. I tested the mkv file in Plex and everything seemed fine with the A/V. I also ripped the special features for 1917 off the exact same disc and no further issues happened.

Can this just be chalked up to weirdness with this particular disc. Or do you think there is any potential issues with the drive itself?

UPDATE: I popped in my 4K copy of Everything Everywhere All At Once today and ripped it with no issues. The read rate started at around 15 MB/s and steadily rose to around 34 MB/s. It only started to dip in speed near the end and never went below 14-15 MB/s. I also ripped its special features from the same disc with no problems. So who knows at this point what was going on with the 1917 disc.
cgpartlow

Re: Weird WH16NS40 issues while ripping UHD disc.

Post by cgpartlow »

Hey Question,

Have you had any more weird issues with your drive? I have had my WH16NS40 for a while now and I have never had any issues. I haven't needed to rip any blu-rays for a while, but I pulled my drive out of storage and I have had all sorts of issues with UHDs. 1917 particularly kept giving me read errors. It seems to rip blu-rays just fine. I have had no issues with any blu-ray disk I want to rip but stick in an UHD and I have been getting nothing but read errors. I can't tell if it is a software or hardware issue. I have seen some other people posting about issues with their 4K disks being really finnicky.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

The 4K UHD of 1917 (2019) is a BD-100, which means it is a triple layer disc. These are the hardest for any optical drive to read.

When you step back for a moment and think about it, a UHD is the same physical size as an audio CD. CDs hold about 700MB of data. BD-100 discs hold 100GB of data, about 142x more data. A typical blu-ray only holds about 50GB of data, about half as much as a UHD. All this is to say that UHDs are more finicky. The same size smudge or scratch on a UHD potentially destroys a lot more data than on a blu-ray or some lesser optical disc.

It is a wonder that UHDs work as well as they do.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Clean the disc with warm water and liquid soap. Flash to WH16NS60 1.03. If that doenst't help you need a Pioneer drive.