Is there a way to use LG WH16NS40 externally? Or what's the best drive to use for a laptop?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
EmptyJuiceBox

Is there a way to use LG WH16NS40 externally? Or what's the best drive to use for a laptop?

Post by EmptyJuiceBox »

Hello,

I purchased an LG WH16NS40 about 4 years ago and flashed the needed firmware myself to allow it the reading/playback of 4K UHD discs and it works perfectly. However my Desktop is pretty big and I want to downsize. Either to a SFF PC build or a laptop. I don't do much PC gaming so a downgrade in specs doesn't bother me much but losing the disc drive does. Is there any adapter/converter that's verified to work with the LG drive that allows it to connect over USB and use externally? If not, what's the best external drive that can use LibreDrive and read/write BR and 4K UHDs?

Thank you
Billycar11

Re: Is there a way to use LG WH16NS40 externally? Or what's the best drive to use for a laptop?

Post by Billycar11 »

See adapters in guide for 5.25 drives
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
dcoke22

Re: Is there a way to use LG WH16NS40 externally? Or what's the best drive to use for a laptop?

Post by dcoke22 »

I have two different drives, including a LG WH16NS60 in the OWC Mercury Pro enclosure. It works well. It'll work with your LG WH16NS40.
TheCrazyCanuck

Post by TheCrazyCanuck »

I've had pretty good luck with the Vantec NST-536S3-BK NexStar DX external chassis. I bought eight of them off Amazon and connected them all to the same machine so I can rip eight discs at once connected to a NuC. I'm using Pioneer BDR-212UBK in these but my older Vantec chassis had a LG WH16NS40 in it at one time and I think that combo would actually turn off the drive when you shut the machine down which was a nice bonus I wasn't expecting (my new chassis and Pioneer drives require me to turn off the chassis from the back). Those Vantec chassis are stackable as well assuming you put the rubber feet on.