LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
mastercko

Re: LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Post by mastercko »

Hi,

I have the BDR-212V on Firmware 1.02. It is coming up as possibly supported, so I would appreciate it if you updated the list. Info below:

Drive Information
OS device name: H:
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-212V
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: UADL004799WL
Firmware date: 2022-05-31
Bus encryption flags: 13
Highest AACS version: 18

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: Pioneer RS8F00
Firmware version: ID06
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

mastercko wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:13 pm
Hi,

I have the BDR-212V on Firmware 1.02. It is coming up as possibly supported, so I would appreciate it if you updated the list. Info below:

Drive Information
OS device name: H:
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-212V
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: UADL004799WL
Firmware date: 2022-05-31
Bus encryption flags: 13
Highest AACS version: 18

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: Pioneer RS8F00
Firmware version: ID06
I just posted this on the previous page:

In the first place you don't need Libredrive support if you stick to DVDs or BDs. If you want it and it says something like "possible" you need to send the information for your drive to Mike. It has been posted in this thread what you have to send.

See the post of mike_admin:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27378&p=129189&hil ... er#p129189
mastercko

Post by mastercko »

Coopervid wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:40 pm

In the first place you don't need Libredrive support if you stick to DVDs or BDs. If you want it and it says something like "possible" you need to send the information for your drive to Mike. It has been posted in this thread what you have to send.

Hi,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I must have skimmed over and missed your earlier post, apologies. I sent the dump file mentioned in the linked post from mike_admin to support@makemkv.com. Please let me know if there is anything else that is needed from my end.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

mastercko wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:09 pm
Coopervid wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:40 pm

Hi,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I must have skimmed over and missed your earlier post, apologies. I sent the dump file mentioned in the linked post from mike_admin to support@makemkv.com. Please let me know if there is anything else that is needed from my end.
Usually not. You need to have internet access enabled in Makemkv for the updates to happen in the background.
TomatoFrito

Post by TomatoFrito »

Hi Guys,

I'm new in this forum. I've got my new computer case who comes without 5,25" slot, so I've changed my Blu-ray drive following some recomandations to a Verbatim... well a Pioneer BD-RW BDR-UD04 more exactly.

It reads both BluRay and UHD Bluray BUT the quality is inconsistent. On recent UHDs the image is just fine but I've got some lag issues every minute with VLC and others readers like MPHC. With an old Bluray the image is fine too but if I try to move up further in the movie I've got a lot of glitches.

Here are the informations about my actual reader from MakeMKV.

Code: Select all

Informations lecteur
Nom du lecteur SE : G:
Fabricant : PIONEER
Produit : BD-RW BDR-UD04
Révision : 1.14
Numéro de série : nope
Date micrologiciel : 2020-06-15
Marqueurs d'encryptage bus : 1B
Version AACS la plus haute : 68

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: RS8A10
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-US04
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.14
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
As I've read all topics about LibreDrive I didn't need to flash my actual drive. But Is it a common problem ? Reading Blurays was perfectly fine with my old LG 5,25" SATA drive, but can it be the same with a recent Drive ?

Thanks in advance for you're help.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

TomatoFrito wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:48 pm
Hi Guys,

I'm new in this forum. I've got my new computer case who comes without 5,25" slot, so I've changed my Blu-ray drive following some recomandations to a Verbatim... well a Pioneer BD-RW BDR-UD04 more exactly.

It reads both BluRay and UHD Bluray BUT the quality is inconsistent. On recent UHDs the image is just fine but I've got some lag issues every minute with VLC and others readers like MPHC. With an old Bluray the image is fine too but if I try to move up further in the movie I've got a lot of glitches.

Informations lecteur

LibreDrive Information
As I've read all topics about LibreDrive I didn't need to flash my actual drive. But Is it a common problem ? Reading Blurays was perfectly fine with my old LG 5,25" SATA drive, but can it be the same with a recent Drive ?

Hello TomatoFrito,

You must have a faulty drive. This is very unusual. We have sold over 250 of these drives and all positive reviews. Sent it back to the supplier as this should not be happening. Very unusual for a Pioneer Drive. The seller must not have tested this drive. We test each drive with 4 discs including playback test.

Kind Regards

Sean

UHD Friendly Drives
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

TomatoFrito wrote:
Hi Guys,

Informations lecteur

LibreDrive Information

What's you PC specs maybe it can't decode h.265
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
TomatoFrito

Post by TomatoFrito »

asmcom wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:45 am
TomatoFrito wrote:
Hi Guys,

Informations lecteur

LibreDrive Information

Hello TomatoFrito,

You must have a faulty drive. This is very unusual. We have sold over 250 of these drives and all positive reviews. Sent it back to the supplier as this should not be happening. Very unusual for a Pioneer Drive. The seller must not have tested this drive. We test each drive with 4 discs including playback test.

Kind Regards

Sean

UHD Friendly Drives
Hi asmcom,

Thanks for you're answer,

Well, it's a original model bought from Amazon, in this case should I get one from one of the eBay sellers ? I Thought it will work without flash or any other modification.

Best regards.
TomatoFrito

Post by TomatoFrito »

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:49 am
TomatoFrito wrote:
Hi Guys,

Informations lecteur

LibreDrive Information

What's you PC specs maybe it can't decode h.265
Hi Billycar11,

Thanks for you're answer

My PC is brand new and export video with h.265 hardware encoding. (Ryzen 7 7700x, B650E chipset MB, Nvidia RTX 3090, Windows 11).

Best regards.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

TomatoFrito wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:49 am
asmcom wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:45 am
TomatoFrito wrote:
Hi Guys,

Informations lecteur

LibreDrive Information

Hello TomatoFrito,

Kind Regards

Sean

UHD Friendly Drives
Hi asmcom,

Thanks for you're answer,

Well, it's a original model bought from Amazon, in this case should I get one from one of the eBay sellers ? I Thought it will work without flash or any other modification.

Best regards.
Send the drive back to Amazon and ask for a replacement.

Kind Regards

Asmcim :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
b@ner#les

Post by b@ner#les »

Coopervid wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:47 am
b@ner#les wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:18 am
I have a recently purchased ASUS BW-16D1X-U. When it works, great. But I often have to try again, or just rip a few chapters at a time, otherwise it inevitably errors out and then i have to restart makemkv, and/or reboot my machine (windows 10). My 4k "Empire Strikes Back" simply refuses to rip on this drive (and I've tried a 2nd copy of Empire--same issue). SO... looking at trying another drive while I can still return this one. I'm considering a new Pioneer. Suggestions on which model? I have an M1 mac pro as well as hi-end Gaming PC (windows 10), so external drive is ideal. Suggestions on which pioneer?
Check the list in this post.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634

Any of the Pioneer slim drives that connect via USB should be appropriate for your needs.
I ordered and just received the Pioneer BDR-XD08UMB-S, and... holy... this thing is SO small. Amazing. It's practically the size of a single CD case. And in theory this should be more reliable than the giant ASUS BW-16D1X-U I've been using for the last 3 weeks? Amazing. Have not tested it yet... later tonight. Been very impressive, hardware-wise, so far...
b@ner#les

Post by b@ner#les »

b@ner#les wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:22 pm
Coopervid wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:47 am
b@ner#les wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:18 am
I have a recently purchased ASUS BW-16D1X-U. When it works, great. But I often have to try again, or just rip a few chapters at a time, otherwise it inevitably errors out and then i have to restart makemkv, and/or reboot my machine (windows 10). My 4k "Empire Strikes Back" simply refuses to rip on this drive (and I've tried a 2nd copy of Empire--same issue). SO... looking at trying another drive while I can still return this one. I'm considering a new Pioneer. Suggestions on which model? I have an M1 mac pro as well as hi-end Gaming PC (windows 10), so external drive is ideal. Suggestions on which pioneer?
Check the list in this post.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634

Any of the Pioneer slim drives that connect via USB should be appropriate for your needs.
I ordered and just received the Pioneer BDR-XD08UMB-S, and... holy... this thing is SO small. Amazing. It's practically the size of a single CD case. And in theory this should be more reliable than the giant ASUS BW-16D1X-U I've been using for the last 3 weeks? Amazing. Have not tested it yet... later tonight. Been very impressive, hardware-wise, so far...
PLugged it in, and did not even require a power cable (powered via the USB-C cable). MakeMKV recognized it instamagically, and it successfully ripped my 4K Empire Strike Back on the first try! Nice. Returning the ASUS drive--this pioneer is a keeper. And it is so freakin' small!
Pace17881

Post by Pace17881 »

Hi guys,

at the moment I'm using a Verbatim 4K BD RW (Pioneer BDR-UD04). I tried to backup with the latest MakeMKv version the UHD "last action hero". But I got SCSI errors :(

The sdftool tells me:

sdftool -d /dev/sr1 --info

SDF.bin version: 0x0090

Drive Tool SDF present

Drive Specific SDF present

[Drive Specific SDF] Embedded Info Strings:
8000:LibreDrive Information

8013:Status
8105:Enabled

8001:Drive platform
:RS8A10

8015:Firmware name
:PIONEER BDR-US04

8002:Firmware type
8106:Original (unpatched)

8003:Firmware version
:1.14

8005:DVD all regions
8100:Yes

8006:BD raw data read

8007:BD raw metadata read

8009:Unrestricted read speed

[Drive Specific SDF] Embedded Status Message:
8099:Using LibreDrive mode (v%1 id=%2)
:01.0
:489CDFD6D392

Identification SDF present

[Identification SDF] Embedded Info Strings:

8102:Possible, not yet enabled

:Pioneer RS8A10

:GENE

[Identification SDF] Drive autodetect string:
pioneer:SAT :8A10:GENE:RAL :PIONEER :BD-RW   BDR-UD041.14: 20/06/15  :-

Status: not enabled. But the first post of this thread says it is enabled.

What is the problem here?

Thanks a lot :)

Sebastian
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Pace17881 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:04 pm
Hi guys,

at the moment I'm using a Verbatim 4K BD RW (Pioneer BDR-UD04). I tried to backup with the latest MakeMKv version the UHD "last action hero". But I got SCSI errors :(

The sdftool tells me:

sdftool -d /dev/sr1 --info

SDF.bin version: 0x0090

Drive Tool SDF present

Drive Specific SDF present

[Drive Specific SDF] Embedded Info Strings:

8105:Enabled

:RS8A10

8015:Firmware name
:PIONEER BDR-US04

8002:Firmware type
8106:Original (unpatched)

:1.14

8005:DVD all regions

8006:BD raw data read

8007:BD raw metadata read

8009:Unrestricted read speed

[Drive Specific SDF] Embedded Status Message:
8099:Using LibreDrive mode (v%1 id=%2)
:01.0
:489CDFD6D392

Identification SDF present

[Identification SDF] Embedded Info Strings:

8102:Possible, not yet enabled

:Pioneer RS8A10

:GENE

[Identification SDF] Drive autodetect string:
pioneer:SAT :8A10:GENE:RAL :PIONEER :BD-RW   BDR-UD041.14: 20/06/15  :-

Status: not enabled. But the first post of this thread says it is enabled.

What is the problem here?

Thanks a lot :)

Sebastian
Clean your disc!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Pace17881

Post by Pace17881 »

hi,

After cleaning the disc the scsi errors are gone. But the disc could not be read. After a reboot and some retries it works now. :)

Then i tried the next uhd disc (Eternals) and I got the following error:

MakeMKV v1.17.2 linux(x64-release) started
Using LibreDrive mode (v01.0 id=489CDFD6D392)
Using direct disc access mode
Evaluation version, 19 day(s) out of 30 remaining
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Saved AACS dump file as /home/sebastian/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v76_MARVEL_STUDIOS'_ETERNALS_-_ULTRA_HD_FE31.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc
After some retries it worked also for this disc. Is my new pioneer drive broken? I bought it yesterday....