LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
dcoke22

Re: LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Post by dcoke22 »

TalkTalk1701 wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:48 pm
Yes it still rips blu-ray and DVD's no problem, it was ripping newer blu-rays with newer protection i was worried about?? yes tried rebooting my computer unplugging the drive and re plugging it in and even trying it on my other Mac as well it said the same thing, not sure what else i can try?

Ha yes i keep it so i can still run older programs i still use that are no longer supported on newer OS's :) i have a newer Mac also :)
LibreDrive would help you deal with blu-ray discs with newer AACS. Season 4 of Star Trek: Discovery is one I ran into recently with a newer AACS.

There's a command line tool that comes along with MakeMKV called sdftool. On my system, it is here:

/Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/MacOS/sdftool

This will print a helpful usage message

Code: Select all

/Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/MacOS/sdftool --help
This will print out a list of optical drives that MakeMKV sees

/Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/MacOS/sdftool --list
On macOS, the drive ID will look something like: /IOBDServices/AB0BB21B

This will print out a bunch of info about a specific drive

/Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/MacOS/sdftool -d <drive ID> --info
I have a Pioneer BDR-212U. When I do the info command above, in the output I see:
SDF.bin version: 0x0096

which tells me what version of sdf.bin I'm using. I also see that LibreDrive is enabled and a bunch of other stuff.

There is a way to have the tool use a different version of sdf.bin, but it is dependent on whatever versions of sdf.bin your machine has downloaded in the past.

/Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/MacOS/sdftool -d <drive ID> --sdf-version=<version> --info
The sdf version will look something like: 0x0096

I think version 0x0090 was the default version to ship in 1.17.2, and when I specify that version on the command, the output looks almost identical, except for SDF.bin version: 0x0090. I interpret this to mean my drive was also supported in that version of sdf.bin.

Skipping around to different versions, for my drive, it seems that version 82 didn't know anything about my drive, but version 83 shows LibreDrive enabled for my drive.
b@ner#les

Post by b@ner#les »

I have a recently purchased ASUS BW-16D1X-U. When it works, great. But I often have to try again, or just rip a few chapters at a time, otherwise it inevitably errors out and then i have to restart makemkv, and/or reboot my machine (windows 10). My 4k "Empire Strikes Back" simply refuses to rip on this drive (and I've tried a 2nd copy of Empire--same issue). SO... looking at trying another drive while I can still return this one. I'm considering a new Pioneer. Suggestions on which model? I have an M1 mac pro as well as hi-end Gaming PC (windows 10), so external drive is ideal. Suggestions on which pioneer?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

b@ner#les wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:18 am
I have a recently purchased ASUS BW-16D1X-U. When it works, great. But I often have to try again, or just rip a few chapters at a time, otherwise it inevitably errors out and then i have to restart makemkv, and/or reboot my machine (windows 10). My 4k "Empire Strikes Back" simply refuses to rip on this drive (and I've tried a 2nd copy of Empire--same issue). SO... looking at trying another drive while I can still return this one. I'm considering a new Pioneer. Suggestions on which model? I have an M1 mac pro as well as hi-end Gaming PC (windows 10), so external drive is ideal. Suggestions on which pioneer?
Check the list in this post.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634

Any of the Pioneer slim drives that connect via USB should be appropriate for your needs.
Edworld

Post by Edworld »

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a BDR-XS07UHD in the US, but I can not find it sold by Amazon or any other reputable dealer.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

There seem to be a bunch on Amazon (including direct from the Pioneer store).

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=BDR-XS07UHD

Or you might query one of the 'local' vendors.

Drives for sale, Flashing Services, where to buy...
liamtoh1

Post by liamtoh1 »

Edworld wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:00 am
I am looking to purchase a BDR-XS07UHD in the US, but I can not find it sold by Amazon or any other reputable dealer. Any recommendations?
Any particular reason for not going with BDR-XD08UMB-S? It is available for $140 + taxes directly from Pioneer https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA ... -XD08UMB-S or (fulfilled by) Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/PIONEER-BDR-XD ... B0BN65PZS9
Edworld

Post by Edworld »

Thanks,

I can't believe Amazon does not sell it directly
stinkynate

Post by stinkynate »

Today my old BDR-XD05B decided to break off one of its spindle clips, so I'm in the market for a new drive. I see a lot of talk of the BDR-XD08UMB ad gather it is supported now, but I don't have any foreseen need for UHD support so was hoping to save a bit with the BDR-XD08.

I only see firmware for XD08 with "U" in the list of LibreDrive support though, so wasn't sure if these non-U versions are currently supported or if I should just pay the extra $30 for the UMB and be done with it, or fall back to the XD07?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

In the first place you don't need Libredrive support if you stick to DVDs or BDs. If you want it and it says something like "possible" you need to send the information for your drive to Mike. It has been posted in this thread what you have to send.

See the post of mike_admin:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27378&p=129189&hil ... er#p129189
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

stinkynate wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:09 pm
Today my old BDR-XD05B decided to break off one of its spindle clips, so I'm in the market for a new drive. I see a lot of talk of the BDR-XD08UMB ad gather it is supported now, but I don't have any foreseen need for UHD support so was hoping to save a bit with the BDR-XD08.

I only see firmware for XD08 with "U" in the list of LibreDrive support though, so wasn't sure if these non-U versions are currently supported or if I should just pay the extra $30 for the UMB and be done with it, or fall back to the XD07?
Yes, better off paying the extra $30 now and be ready for UHD if/when the need arises.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
nightwolf00

Post by nightwolf00 »

Hi!

I just purchased and installed a new Pioneer BDR-S13UBK and it came with firmware 1.03 (and it is not on the list of supported drives at the moment). Can Libredrive support be added to this firmware revision of this drive?

Let me know if there is any information I can provide on the drive.

Thanks!
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Just click the link I provided two posts above yours and read how to do it.
nightwolf00

Post by nightwolf00 »

Hi!

Thanks for the info. I did not see that post. According to makemkv it is supported and works, but I tried ripping a spiderman homecoming UHD and I received an error part way through. Also, Anydvd states this drive is not supported via Libredrive.

Maybe there is something I am missing. I apologize I am new at some of this stuff. Any help is appreciated.

Here is the drive info from makemkv:

Drive Information

OS device name: F:
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-S13U
Revision: 1.03
Serial number:
Firmware date: 2022-07-26
Bus encryption flags: 1B
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: RS9201
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-213T
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.03/ID43
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

nightwolf00 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:22 am
Hi!

Thanks for the info. I did not see that post. According to makemkv it is supported and works, but I tried ripping a spiderman homecoming UHD and I received an error part way through. Also, Anydvd states this drive is not supported via Libredrive.

Maybe there is something I am missing. I apologize I am new at some of this stuff. Any help is appreciated.

Here is the drive info from makemkv:

Drive Information

OS device name: F:
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-S13U
Revision: 1.03
Serial number:
Firmware date: 2022-07-26
Bus encryption flags: 1B
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: RS9201
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-213T
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.03/ID43
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
What's the error likely a read error and not an error with UHD support if it half way through.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
nightwolf00

Post by nightwolf00 »

Thanks for the help! It must have been a random read error. My PC was acting up yesterday, but I just tried it again and it worked fine. I guess the 1.03 firmware is fully supported on this drive.

Thanks again!