Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Coopervid

Re: LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Post by Coopervid »

TeddyRaspin wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:51 am
mike admin wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:16 am
Please elaborate, "not detected" means not detected in MakeMKV or windows doesn't see the drive at all? Is it an internal drive? What do you mean "motherboard sees the drive", do you see the SATA device but no SCSI? What happens if you go to device manager and right-click "scan for hardware changes"?
And how SDF_STOP helps, device is detected in MakeMKV or on a next reboot, etc?
I'm sorry and you're absolutely right.

Not detected I mean by Windows OS. If I click on "My Computer", Pioneer drive is not there and I have to reboot PC.
Even under "device manager", device is not listed and the "scan for hardware changes" doesn't help.

Pioneer unit is connected as an internal drive with modular power and sata cable to my motherboard, like any other optical unit.
Motherboard always properly detects the device.

Instead, with SDF_STOP followed by the specific drive ID, Pioneer is always detected by Windows OS and with the reg trick
I can enable/disable LibreDrive mode when I need it on MakeMKV and it's the best choice, so far.

At last, keeping MakeMKV with Libredrive enabled on BDR-S12UHT makes my unit sometimes not detected after rebooting or powering on Windows.
Disabling LibreDrive with SDF_STOP and enabling on the fly via reg trick makes my unit always working fine (detected) under Windows and I can still
use it on MakeMKV when I need it.
Teddy,
to me it sounds more like an interaction with the SATA controller. Can you please check to which this drive is connected. I had bad experiences with Marvell SATA controllers for additional ports. Is the drive connected to the main chipset? Which type?
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

Coopervid wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:47 pm
Teddy,
to me it sounds more like an interaction with the SATA controller. Can you please check to which this drive is connected. I had bad experiences with Marvell SATA controllers for additional ports. Is the drive connected to the main chipset? Which type?
I'm pretty sure there is something related to the SATA controller but it happens only with this device (Pioneer BDR-S12UHT).

My motherboard specs are: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, 2 SSD, 2 HDD, 2 Optical units, all of them connected to the 6 ports of my motherboard.

SATA controller is handled by X570 chipset. I've also changed SATA ports but I've not fixed this issue.

Furthermore, SATA controller is set as RAID, because I've SSD and HDD in Raid 0 mode but this has never created any issue with my LG drives
(BH16NS55 and BH16NS40 NS55 SVC Code), so I'm assuming there is a bug between my motherboard controller and the Pioneer device.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

I'm pretty sure it is somehow the combination of RAID and the AMD X570 chipset. Personally I stay away from AMD and prefer Intel. I had once many, many years ago an AMD Athlon system and that was a nightmare regarding hardware compatibility with TV cards, video cards, SCSI controllers etc. AMD is fine if you don't intend to add any special hardware but if you do....
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

Coopervid wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:36 pm
I'm pretty sure it is somehow the combination of RAID and the AMD X570 chipset. Personally I stay away from AMD and prefer Intel. I had once many, many years ago an AMD Athlon system and that was a nightmare regarding hardware compatibility with TV cards, video cards, SCSI controllers etc. AMD is fine if you don't intend to add any special hardware but if you do....
This issue has come out only with Pioneer device. With LG drives it's working like a charm.

And 5950x is a lot better than Intel. :D
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

TeddyRaspin wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:20 pm
Coopervid wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:36 pm
This issue has come out only with Pioneer device. With LG drives it's working like a charm.

And 5950x is a lot better than Intel. :D
Not anymore since the 12th gen Intel CPU is up-to-speed again. I waited for quite some time to build a new system but I will base it on that. Unless Mike finds an obvious reason to cure your issue you will probably have to deal with it in RAID 0 mode for the Pioneer drive.
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

Coopervid wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:56 pm
Unless Mike finds an obvious reason to cure your issue you will probably have to deal with it in RAID 0 mode for the Pioneer drive.
It's not an issue Mike can fix, it has nothing to do with MakeMKV according to our conclusions.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

TeddyRaspin wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:22 pm
Coopervid wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:56 pm
Unless Mike finds an obvious reason to cure your issue you will probably have to deal with it in RAID 0 mode for the Pioneer drive.
It's not an issue Mike can fix, it has nothing to do with MakeMKV according to our conclusions.
Don't be too sure. He fixed already some incompatiblities regarding communication with 3rd party chipsets.
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

Coopervid wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:40 pm
Don't be too sure. He fixed already some incompatiblities regarding communication with 3rd party chipsets.
Maybe he will, but in the meantime I've turned back to LG and, it's useless to say, they're working fine and
with higher ripping speed.

I've ordered a SATA to USB3 adapter in order to use also Pioneer BDR-S12UHT. I'm pretty sure it will work fine too. :wink:
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

That's a good idea with the SATA -> USB adapter. Did you check Billy's list? I personally find this the best one:

https://www.reichelt.de/de/de/konverter ... dsQAvD_BwE

Works also for flashing and scanning discs with a Liteon drive with OptiDrive control (which is picky).
asmcom

Drive Comparison by Asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Hi Everyone,

I had a bit time on my hands and decided I would run some comparisons on the new Hitachi drive models I have recently purchased. The 1st drive I tested was my new Verbatim USB 3.2 Ultra HD 4K Ultra Slim Drive vs the old faithful Hitachi LG-BU40N on firmware 1-03mk.

Conclusion: I am happy with my purchase of the Verbatim 43888 USB 3.2, Ultra HD Slim Drive. I will be using this new drive to burn all my disc media. I will be selling this model shortly on the MakeMKV website. Would I recommend the Pioneer BDR-UD04 to backup my 4K discs as my primary drive? I would have say no, however this drive could be a backup for difficult discs?
Great achievement and Congratulations to Mike Chen on this new achievement with the Pioneer Drives now being LibreDrive compatible. Another great milestone for Mike, which is one of many.
Last edited by asmcom on Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
Coopervid

Re: Drive Comparison by Asmcom

Post by Coopervid »

asmcom wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:30 pm
Hi Everyone,

I had a bit time on my hands and decided I would run some comparisons on the new Hitachi drive models I have recently purchased. The 1st drive I tested was my new Verbatim USB 3.2 Ultra HD 4K Ultra Slim Drive vs the old faithful Hitachi LG-BU40N on firmware 1-03mk.

Conclusion: I am happy with my purchase of the Verbatim 43888 USB 3.2, Ultra HD Slim Drive. I will be using this new drive to burn all my disc media. I will be selling this model shortly on the MakeMKV website. Would I recommend the Pioneer BDR-UD04 to backup my 4K discs as my primary drive? I would have say no, however this drive could be a backup for difficult discs?
Great achievement and Congratulations to Mike Chen on this new achievement with the Pioneer Drives now being LibreDrive compatible. Another great milestone for Mike, which is one of many.
asmcom,

I agree with all of your read results. But all LGs are bad burners for 50GB discs. They all screw up at the layer break. The Pioneers don't but even with those you have to reduce it to 2x speed burning. The LGs are fine burners with 25GB discs that are not dealing with any layer break by design.
asmcom

Re: Drive Comparison by Asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Coopervid wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:55 pm
asmcom wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:30 pm
Hi Everyone,

asmcom,

I agree with all of your read results. But all LGs are bad burners for 50GB discs. They all screw up at the layer break. The Pioneers don't but even with those you have to reduce it to 2x speed burning. The LGs are fine burners with 25GB discs that are not dealing with any layer break by design.
Yes, this is why I am keeping my BDR-212UBK and BDR-UD04 for burning.

The. BH16NS55 Cross-Flashed to WH16NS60 1-02mk and the Hitachi BU40N wins hands down in my opinion when it comes to reading and backing up 4K discs.

Thank for your response.

I will be stocking Pioneer Drives for customers who want good quality burners. I still have 2 old style plextor drives which are brilliant.

Verbatim Ultra HD 4K External Slimline Blu-Ray Drive (LibreDrive Compatible), Model Number 43888. Pioneer BDR-UD04 fiited to enclosure. This offer is with 1st Class post.
The price is £109.99 minus 5% = £104.49 plus postage for all MakeMKV forum members

Now Available !!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265583461731

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387

Asmcom :mrgreen:

Giving away my age lol

Asmcom :mrgreen:
Last edited by asmcom on Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

Pioneer BDR-S12UHT (or 212UBK) can read even "stones". It is silent and able to perfectly
read/write any UHD 4K Blu-Ray, expecially triple or quad layer, while LG sometimes fails.

For example my TENET UHD disc (94 Gb approximately) is not always read by both LG I have
(crossflashed to WH16NS60 1.03MK firmware). Pioneer reads it in 2 seconds and is able, with
the combination of IMGBURN, to create a perfect ISO.

I can never thank Mike enough for having extended LibreDrive support also for Pioneer drives. :D
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Exactly. That's why I grabbed the 212ubk myself. It's slow, sure, but it reads anything. Since you're only backing up once who cares how long it takes...

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Blackened2687

Post by Blackened2687 »

Does anyone here already have a portable BDR-XD08MB-S, BDR-XD08BK/SV/GL, BDR-AD08BK/SV/GL or BDR-XD08LE drive? They are sold only in Japan and I'm unable to get my hands on them personally. I need memory dumps from them very badly. Also, the BDR-S13JBK (not the J-X version), BDR-213JBK and BDR-X13J-S are also very wanted.

If anybody can help me get the dumps, please write me a PM. Thanks in advance!

Update 2022.05.10: Thanks to everybody who helped me, now I have dumps from BDR-213JBK/S13JBK/S13J-X (thx jadburner), BDR-XD08MB-S (thx redwine) and BDR-AD08BK (thx jadburner). Now only BDR-XD08BK/SV/GL, BDR-XD08LE, BDR-X13J-S and BDR-X13JBK are remaining. :)