LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
simplepanda

Re: LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Post by simplepanda »

Billycar11 wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 7:45 pm
That new firmware won't be supported with the initial release makemkv developer first is planing a downgrade method then will later try to support new firmware without flashing
Do you mean a downgrade method as in providing the tools/firmware files for me to flash down this drive to a supported version? I'm 100% happy to do that; my WH16NS40 is running 1.02MK after-all.

I may just do as suggested: complain to Newegg that this was obviously an open-box and get them to send me a definitely-sealed replacement.
kahunalx

Post by kahunalx »

Hello everyone,
First post here.

I used to rip my own stuff back in the DVD era.
This is the first time I'm trying to do so, in this case with 4K Blurays as my only 4K Bluray capable player is upstairs.
I want to get MKVs of my content so I can play them wherever I want.
I was trying to rip a 4K bluray that was released just today and I couldn't due to the message "The volume key is unknown for this disc...". I sent the dumps to svq<at>makemkv.com, I hope I didn't do anything wrong.

Below these lines you can find my drive information. I was able to read a standard Region B Bluray without any issues (I'm originally from Europe, but I live in Canada now - Region A).
I saw there is an official 1.04 firmware available for my drive, dumb question, should I upgrade to that? Anyone has 1.04?

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-212U
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: SLDL00xxxxxx
Firmware date: 2022-03-07
Bus encryption flags: 1B
Highest AACS version: 77

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: RS8F01
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-212T
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.02/ID58
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Disc Information
Label: STRANGENEWWORLDS_SEASON1
Timestamp: 2023-03-07 11:02:14
Protection: AACS2.0/C v77
Data capacity: 90.56 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM UHD
Number of layers: 3
Bus encryption flags: 80
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

kahunalx wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 3:30 am
Hello everyone,
First post here.

This is the first time I'm trying to do so, in this case with 4K Blurays as my only 4K Bluray capable player is upstairs.
I was trying to rip a 4K bluray that was released just today and I couldn't due to the message "The volume key is unknown for this disc...". I sent the dumps to svq<at>makemkv.com, I hope I didn't do anything wrong.

Below these lines you can find my drive information. I was able to read a standard Region B Bluray without any issues (I'm originally from Europe, but I live in Canada now - Region A).
I saw there is an official 1.04 firmware available for my drive, dumb question, should I upgrade to that? Anyone has 1.04?

Drive Information

LibreDrive Information

Disc Information
Do not upgrade
You will lose the ability to rip UHD discs
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

kahunalx wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 3:30 am
Hello everyone,
First post here.

Drive Information

LibreDrive Information

Disc Information
NO!! Do not upgrade the firmware under any circumstances! You will no longer be able to rip UHD discs!!

Also make sure you have checked the box to allow MakeMKV internet access as it is required to download the UHD volume keys.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
kahunalx

Post by kahunalx »

haha, message received loud and clear! :D
Quicksilver

Post by Quicksilver »

Billycar11 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 9:33 am
Quicksilver wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 6:22 am
Thanks, dcoke22. With your reminder, I have now sent the dump file to support@makemkv.com. As for the platform, mine is identical to the one being used on this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/6JoJB3rt8kQ?list=TLPQM ... E-uw&t=508. They appear to have no problems with 4K discs. The only difference is that they have firmware 1.01 (which I have already obtained from a French archival site). So I was kind of hoping that an update to 1.01 (or even 1.02) would enable LibreDrive, especially as the SDF.bin seems to include my drive (as of 11 Feb 2022):
PIONEER-BD-RW__BDR-XS07U-1.00-D1E5568A-8E21ID05-20190107
PIONEER-BD-RW__BDR-XS07U-1.01-1534D764-8E21ID05-20200903
PIONEER-BD-RW__BDR-XS07U-1.01-32129473-8E21ID69-20200903
But no reference here to platform, I guess. So I will be patient. :)
im sure support will be added as its older.
but you could always update to 1.01 if you don't want to wait but waiting is alot less risky
My Pioneer BDR-XS07B-UHD drive with 1.00 firmware works well with DVDs and BDs, but as yet there is no LibreDrive support, so no chance of using my UHDs with it. Eventually I decided to at least upgrade the firmware to 1.01 using what I had assumed was the right package (BDR-XS07UHD_TUHD_FW101EU.exe). However, all I got was
/// ODD Firmware Update Utility Ver2.59B
oem ID05
No drive found that can be used with this program

I also tried BDR-XS07UHD_TUHD_FW102EU.exe to see what would happen, but it was the same result. So maybe I have the wrong updaters for the BDR-XS07B after all? Does anyone know where I can find 1.01?

NB: despite the above listing for PIONEER-BD-RW__BDR-XS07U-1.00-D1E5568A-8E21ID05-20190107 in the SDF.bin, my drive (platform: RS8E21) is still just LibreDrive "Possible, not yet enabled".
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Quicksilver wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 6:27 am
Billycar11 wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 6:22 am
Thanks, dcoke22. With your reminder, I have now sent the dump file to support@makemkv.com. As for the platform, mine is identical to the one being used on this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/6JoJB3rt8kQ?list=TLPQM ... E-uw&t=508. They appear to have no problems with 4K discs. The only difference is that they have firmware 1.01 (which I have already obtained from a French archival site). So I was kind of hoping that an update to 1.01 (or even 1.02) would enable LibreDrive, especially as the SDF.bin seems to include my drive (as of 11 Feb 2022):
PIONEER-BD-RW__BDR-XS07U-1.00-D1E5568A-8E21ID05-20190107
PIONEER-BD-RW__BDR-XS07U-1.01-1534D764-8E21ID05-20200903
PIONEER-BD-RW__BDR-XS07U-1.01-32129473-8E21ID69-20200903
But no reference here to platform, I guess. So I will be patient. :)
but you could always update to 1.01 if you don't want to wait but waiting is alot less risky
My Pioneer BDR-XS07B-UHD drive with 1.00 firmware works well with DVDs and BDs, but as yet there is no LibreDrive support, so no chance of using my UHDs with it. Eventually I decided to at least upgrade the firmware to 1.01 using what I had assumed was the right package (BDR-XS07UHD_TUHD_FW101EU.exe). However, all I got was
oem ID05

I also tried BDR-XS07UHD_TUHD_FW102EU.exe to see what would happen, but it was the same result. So maybe I have the wrong updaters for the BDR-XS07B after all? Does anyone know where I can find 1.01?

NB: despite the above listing for PIONEER-BD-RW__BDR-XS07U-1.00-D1E5568A-8E21ID05-20190107 in the SDF.bin, my drive (platform: RS8E21) is still just LibreDrive "Possible, not yet enabled".
Try submitting the auto-generated firmware dump and see if support can be added.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Quicksilver

Post by Quicksilver »

I submitted it (dump_FW_7BF4818ACE8CA66F7A9E.tgz) on 2 May.
Konten

Post by Konten »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 6:50 am
Quicksilver wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 6:27 am
Billycar11 wrote:

oem ID05

Try submitting the auto-generated firmware dump and see if support can be added.
I believe the XS07B-UHD is the Japanese version of the BDR-XS07(T)-UHD. That's why the US/Europe Pioneer updater won't work, you would need to use the Japanese one. However, I really wouldn't experiment with this, if you update to the wrong firmware you might lock it down for good. The YouTube video you linked to also wasn't for the Japanese version that you have.

The 1.0 firmware should still be ok, however, and as you've submitted the dump, you just need to wait for the developer to enable it.
Quicksilver

Post by Quicksilver »

Ah, picky updates, eh? Thanks.That seems to make sense. The Japanese often add a B or a W to the end of a model number simply to indicate the color. Mine happens to be black so I was putting more weight on the internal model ID. (I was also wondering what the T could be? Taupe?)
RiiTiiMii

Post by RiiTiiMii »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 4:02 am
RiiTiiMii wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 2:31 am
I recently updated the firmware revision of a BDR-XS07UHD UHD Blu-ray player from 1.02 (when I got it recently) to 1.03. When it was updated to 1.03, the feature seems to have been deactivated, but not removed. Is there any way to re-enable the feature. It seems to have removed the ability to specifically get content from 4K Blu-rays, as I was able to do it beforehand.
Silly bugger!!! Should have left it alone. Not possible to downgrade it at the moment and support cannot currently be added for that firmware. You could be waiting for a while…

I don’t understand why people keep updating their drive firmware. There’s generally no benefit from updating firmware on optical drives anyway. If it works, leave the bloody thing alone!
I've done a foolproof way to downgrade the firmware: Simply return the initial unit (with all of the included materials), get a refund from the seller on Amazon, and order the exact same unit again. Last step is to not do anything else besides just reading discs with the unpatched 1.02 firmware. :mrgreen:
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

RiiTiiMii wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 11:48 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 4:02 am
RiiTiiMii wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 2:31 am
I recently updated the firmware revision of a BDR-XS07UHD UHD Blu-ray player from 1.02 (when I got it recently) to 1.03. When it was updated to 1.03, the feature seems to have been deactivated, but not removed. Is there any way to re-enable the feature. It seems to have removed the ability to specifically get content from 4K Blu-rays, as I was able to do it beforehand.
Silly bugger!!! Should have left it alone. Not possible to downgrade it at the moment and support cannot currently be added for that firmware. You could be waiting for a while…

I don’t understand why people keep updating their drive firmware. There’s generally no benefit from updating firmware on optical drives anyway. If it works, leave the bloody thing alone!
I've done a foolproof way to downgrade the firmware: Simply return the initial unit (with all of the included materials), get a refund from the seller on Amazon, and order the exact same unit again. Last step is to not do anything else besides just reading discs with the unpatched 1.02 firmware. :mrgreen:
That is only if the new unit you receive has the older firmware...
Bungle

Post by Bungle »

Make sure to contact the sellers ahead of time and get their guarantee that it's an older drive (as in they had it untouched in storage prior to December 2022 at the earliest, or that the date of manufacture listed on the drive is prior to December 2022 (and ask them if the drive has been used/has had updated firmware, you want that in writing in case you find the opposite like I have, makes returns a lot easier).

It's not just a UHD read issue either (in my case), the 1.04 firmware had read errors on non-UHD disks and communication issues, doesn't even work smoothly on an SGX enabled display out.
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

So, at this stage is there even a point in trying to buy a Pioneer drive, knowing that the firmware cannot be downgraded and Libre is not supported on post 12/22 drives?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Krawk wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:15 pm
So, at this stage is there even a point in trying to buy a Pioneer drive, knowing that the firmware cannot be downgraded and Libre is not supported on post 12/22 drives?
for now its only safe to buy a pioneer that has been flashed from sellers like me marty or asmcom
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com