LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
tmackery

Re: LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Post by tmackery »

Coopervid and dcoke22 , are there instructions on how to dump firmware somewhere or does the firmware dump automatically and I just need to upload it? Did a couple searches on the forum and google and didn't find anything concrete.

In my MakeMKV data directory, I have the following files:
_private_data.tar
dump_FW_8D764A026549A275718D.tgz

Is dump_FW_8D764A026549A275718D.tgz the dump file Mike needs?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Write a PM to mike admin with the request to upload your firmware 1.01 for support in Makemkv.
larry.schapker

Post by larry.schapker »

Coopervid wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:51 pm
Write a PM to mike admin with the request to upload your firmware 1.01 for support in Makemkv.
Due to my "just joining," The system will not allow me to send any Private Messages. I did find somewhere that I could use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the this page.

E-mail sent.

Thank you for your assistance!

Larry Schapker
cay_m2

Post by cay_m2 »

I'm curious about how people are getting pioneer FW to submit as well. I picked up a XD08U because it was mentioned in the list in the first post, and it has a different dated 1.00 FW, the same one Kurtz mentioned a couple pages ago in this thread:

Product: BD-RW BDR-XD08U
Revision: 1.00
Firmware date: 2022-04-03
Bus encryption flags: 1B
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: Pioneer RS9331
Firmware version: ID05

sdftool can't dump it, and obviously then when makemkv tries to automatically generate a FW dump to submit it's just the 'info' not an actual dump. Or is it possibly because I'm running linux instead of windows that I can't get a real dump?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

You are very welcome. Yes, that's a hassle if you are a new member. But I was told this is effective against scammers.
cay_m2

Post by cay_m2 »

I went back and read through the entire thread and a few others and the only thing I could find was some mention that sometimes the usb<->sata bridge might need an update before being able to read or update the FW on the micro itself. In this case the XD08U has a Fujitsu MB86C311B bridge w/ its own flash chip in between the USB and the big Renesas R8J micro. Not sure how I would/could check the version of the bridge firmware, though.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Naah.. mike needs to download your firnware to his server for support. Contact mike admin. He will send instructions.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Here is the process for adding LibreDrive support.
First time MakeMKV sees a new LibreDrive-capable drive, it would produce a firmware dump file (named something like dump_FW_8D764A026549A275718D.tgz ) and would say something like "Please send this file to support@makemkv.com". The dump will be saved in the MakeMKV data directory (can be looked up in preferences). This happens once per drive/firmware, and MakeMKV won't be nagging you anymore.

For some (really old) drives the dump will be a big (few megabytes) file, containing the entire firmware - in this case just this dump is enough.
For most drives the dump file will be very small, few hundred bytes. The process to get a full dump is different per drive and tends to become easier, but to begin with I do need a small dump first. Without a small dump I might have no clue that this drive or firmware even exist.

I still do not have small dumps for BD-RW BDR-XD08U RS9331/ID05 and BD-RW BDR-X13U RS9401/ID29 . Please send me these dumps first to support@makemkv.com . Thanks!
larry.schapker

Post by larry.schapker »

mike admin wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:32 am
I still do not have small dumps for BD-RW BDR-XD08U RS9331/ID05 and BD-RW BDR-X13U RS9401/ID29 . Please send me these dumps first to support@makemkv.com . Thanks!
I have uploaded the file for "BD-RW BDR-X13U RS9401/ID29" to support@makemkv.com via E-mail. Please advise if anything else is needed.
larry.schapker

Post by larry.schapker »

larry.schapker wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:42 pm

I have uploaded the file for "BD-RW BDR-X13U RS9401/ID29" to support@makemkv.com via E-mail. Please advise if anything else is needed.
Just as an FYI, My drive is now functioning!!!
bort420

Post by bort420 »

LibreDrive can't add UHD blu-ray reading to non-UHD (but BD-XL ok) pioneer drives, can it? They have to be cross-flashed to the UHD enabled model as far as I can tell -- and that tool is not public.

@blackened2687 is the tool going to be released anytime soon? And is it meaningfully different than DVRTool i.e. does it also use the same SCSI commands to update pioneer drives (obviously with BDR updates)? Amazing work to get it modernized.
ormandj

Post by ormandj »

Has anybody tried a BDR-X13U-S (or any of their more recent drives) with firmware 1.02? There's an update available here: https://pioneer.jp/device_e/product-e/i ... #firmware1 but I don't want to upgrade my 1.01 drive and find out it's a problem, since you apparently cannot downgrade afterwards.
bort420

Post by bort420 »

bort420 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:49 pm
LibreDrive can't add UHD blu-ray reading to non-UHD (but BD-XL ok) pioneer drives, can it? They have to be cross-flashed to the UHD enabled model as far as I can tell -- and that tool is not public.

@blackened2687 is the tool going to be released anytime soon? And is it meaningfully different than DVRTool i.e. does it also use the same SCSI commands to update pioneer drives (obviously with BDR updates)? Amazing work to get it modernized.
Thanks to a kind member (@Coopervid) who PM'd me -- I can't reply, but I'm happy to privately evaluate it on a BDR-XS07S. Hopefully Blackened recovers soon.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

bort420 wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:22 pm
bort420 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:49 pm

Thanks to a kind member (@Coopervid) who PM'd me -- I can't reply, but I'm happy to privately evaluate it on a BDR-XS07S. Hopefully Blackened recovers soon.
I can send you a BDR-XS07TS Cross-Flashed to BDR-XS07TUHD with MakeMKV forum member discount.

Kind Regards

Asmcom :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
timothyjward

Post by timothyjward »

Hi all,

I recently updated MakeMKV and found that my external Blu-ray drive was now LibreDrive enabled. Transfer speeds were much higher, and all was good.

Since removing and re-attaching the drive I am now back to "Possible, not yet enabled". What can I do to get back the LibreDrive enhancements?

Code: Select all

Drive Information
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: SBW-06D2X-U
Revision: 1.10
Serial number: RIDL094131WL
Firmware date: 2017-04-18
Bus encryption flags: 1B
Highest AACS version: 66

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: Pioneer RS8511