WH16NS40 & HLDS BU40N Experience

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Danno

WH16NS40 & HLDS BU40N Experience

Post by Danno »

Let me start by saying thanks to all the effort put into getting the Libredrive firmware working in the various optical drives we use. The work you've done is so far beyond my ability to do myself, it is greatly appreciated. Here's my experience with two drives that have come into my possession recently.

LG WH16NS40 with ROM v1.05 - I was able to flash Libredrive using the GUI, and the drive seemed willing to try and decrypt UHD videos, could do some of a disc, but would ultimately fail, unable to read sectors. AFAIK, these aren't marketed as being UHD-capable, so I'm not too put out by it. Perhaps LG has started using lower quality components in their drives, or maybe mine is a one-off incapable of sustained UHD reads. Flashed on a 64-bit Win10 machine.

Hitachi LG HLDS BU40N with v.102 firmware - This took a little more effort to flash, as I hadn't researched it enough, or my research hadn't revealed that v1.02, although a lower version number, is actually a recent firmware release that is encrypted. As such, it shows up on the GUI flasher as unencrypted, I had to manually select encryption to flash the "slim drive" Libredrive firmware properly. Without encryption, it would apparently flash, state success, but would still remain the old firmware. Flashed on a 64-bit Win10 machine.

Thanks again, my foray into 4k ripping begins...

MangoReader

Re: WH16NS40 & HLDS BU40N Experience

Post by MangoReader »

Hello there!

I have the same drive (BU40N), with the same firmware and the same problem.
It's also not encrypted, but how so you 'manually select encryption'? I see no option like that in the GUI of SDFtool Flasher.
Or are you using a different GUI?

Best regards,

Mango Reader.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

MangoReader wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:00 am
Hello there!

I have the same drive (BU40N), with the same firmware and the same problem.
It's also not encrypted, but how so you 'manually select encryption'? I see no option like that in the GUI of SDFtool Flasher.
Or are you using a different GUI?

Best regards,

Mango Reader.
click the enc box on the newest version
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MangoReader

Post by MangoReader »

Ah I see, I wasn't on the newest version. Flashed it to 1.04 and I can finally rip 4K blurays. Thank you so much!