Intermittent Read Issues

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
hescominsoon

Intermittent Read Issues

Post by hescominsoon »

I have a LG BP60NB10 that i flashed with a libredrive firmware i found on these forums. It unlocked the read speed to the limit the interface can provide..which is great. The issue I am having..and it was existing before the flash is some discs simply wll not read. I have a Steven Segal 6 disc set the drive will not initialize with the discs inserted. I also have a polar express blue-ray that the drive refuses to accept. it this something that happens with some drives just not liking some discs no matter what? All of the discs in question play fine on my Xbox one S. Also this drive refuses to mount UHD discs as well. Should i replace the drive with something else once I am done with the majority of my collection?
Billycar11

Re: Intermittent Read Issues

Post by Billycar11 »

hescominsoon wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:11 am
I have a LG BP60NB10 that i flashed with a libredrive firmware i found on these forums. It unlocked the read speed to the limit the interface can provide..which is great. The issue I am having..and it was existing before the flash is some discs simply wll not read. I have a Steven Segal 6 disc set the drive will not initialize with the discs inserted. I also have a polar express blue-ray that the drive refuses to accept. it this something that happens with some drives just not liking some discs no matter what? All of the discs in question play fine on my Xbox one S. Also this drive refuses to mount UHD discs as well. Should i replace the drive with something else once I am done with the majority of my collection?
do you have both usb connecters connected?
have you tried cleaning the discs?
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
hescominsoon

Post by hescominsoon »

this discs are spotless...the only drive not reading is the one above. the xbox reads them all fine. no i do t have both usb connected..i do not know how that would affect the drive refusing to initialize the discs at all? i'll try connecting the second usb..although i've never had that make any difference in drive intilizations....
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

hescominsoon wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:12 am
this discs are spotless...
this has been said may times it does not matter if you are having trouble ripping you clean it if you dont have another drive.
playback and ripping are different.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I have two different drives I use (and access to a third). Often (but not always) when a disc gives me trouble in the drive I normally use, I put it in my other drive and it works without error. When that doesn't work, I clean the disc, usually twice, even if it looks clean. One of my drives can often read the disc then. When all that fails, I ask a friend with a third drive to give it a try, and that works sometimes too. It is rarely the case where I can't eventually read a disc.

As for the second USB plug… USB powered drives often need more power than can be provided by a single USB port. Use a powered USB hub or plug both plugs directly into your computer. Both of my drives are in external enclosures with their own power supplies; the USB is only used for data. This avoids all of the USB power related shenanigans.
hescominsoon

Post by hescominsoon »

so in essence...yes it's going to happen. a drive will sometimes just hate a disc. In my case the discs in question are simply not readable(much less rippable) with this drive. I'll set them aside and once i finish with my collection I'll buy another drive from a different manufacturer or model that's also ripping friendly and try it on the leftover discs.