LibreDrive compatible drive is required to open this disc

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
agent4797

LibreDrive compatible drive is required to open this disc

Post by agent4797 »

I'm trying to RIP one of my discs but I keep getting "LibreDrive compatible drive is required to open this disc - video can't be decrypted." error.
As far as I know, I already have a LibreDrive compatible driver with the right firmware. Anyone else has experienced this?

I have ripped 50 different UHD discs and this is the first time I'm getting an error.

I'll attach a screenshot of MakeMKV for reference.

Things I've tried:
Restarted the app and whole computer
Disabling and reenabling "Enable Internet Access"
Disconnecting and reconnecting the drive
Changing the SATA cable connected to the drive

Any help would be appreciated
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-05-20 at 15.09.07.png
Screenshot 2021-05-20 at 15.09.07.png (615.97 KiB) Viewed 8594 times
Billycar11

Re: LibreDrive compatible drive is required to open this disc

Post by Billycar11 »

Something is preventing makemkv from having full access to the drive things that can cause this are vms docker containers or sandboxes
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
agent4797

Post by agent4797 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 7:53 pm
Something is preventing makemkv from having full access to the drive things that can cause this are vms docker containers or sandboxes
Thanks for your reply!

I don't have any sandboxes or docker containers running.
The thing is that I have tested with other discs and all of them work beside this one.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

It looks like you're using a Mac. Are you on Intel or Apple Silicon? Which OS are you on? I use a Mac. I even have an ASUS BW-16D1HT on firmware 3.10 like you. I've ripped a few dozen UHDs and never seen the error you posted. I do not have Schindler's List to try, however.

Have you updated the OS recently? Can you successfully rip a different UHD? I know you've said you have ripped them in the past… but if something changed in an OS update, can you rip now? I'm asking these questions to attempt to figure out if it is something specific to your setup or specific to that disc. On this forum, I haven't seen other posts with this error on this disc which makes me suspect it is something in your specific setup. A little testing might help narrow it down.
agent4797

Post by agent4797 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 1:50 pm
It looks like you're using a Mac. Are you on Intel or Apple Silicon? Which OS are you on? I use a Mac. I even have an ASUS BW-16D1HT on firmware 3.10 like you. I've ripped a few dozen UHDs and never seen the error you posted. I do not have Schindler's List to try, however.

Have you updated the OS recently? Can you successfully rip a different UHD? I know you've said you have ripped them in the past… but if something changed in an OS update, can you rip now? I'm asking these questions to attempt to figure out if it is something specific to your setup or specific to that disc. On this forum, I haven't seen other posts with this error on this disc which makes me suspect it is something in your specific setup. A little testing might help narrow it down.
Hey, thanks for you reply!

I’ve tested on both Intel and M1 machines, same problem. I’m on latest 11.3 OS update on both.

I just tested with my old UHD discs, about 10 of them, and they all worked.

After some googling, I suspect that they keys haven’t been generated perhaps? And maybe the error message is just broken?

I’ve sent the file to svq@makemkv.com, I’ll try to rip the disc again in a few days and see if that solves the problem.

Other than that I don’t know what could be the issue, I’ve tested on multiple computers, multiple different SATA cables and nothing has solved the issue.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Usually when the key is unknown, the message is different.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24711
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc
I've never seen your particular error message before.

If other UHDs rip correctly on the same drive + computer that would imply that something is weird with that particular disc.

Let me speculate a little bit. It could be something weird with the key your copy of MakeMKV has downloaded for that disc. The keys your copy of MakeMKV has downloaded are kept in a file named _private_data.tar which is located in your MakeMKV data directory (look in Preferences, but probably ~/Library/MakeMKV). If, when MakeMKV isn't running, you delete that file (or just store it on the desktop or in trash) and startup MakeMKV again and rip a UHD disc, it should download the necessary key for that disc.

I would suggest removing _private_data.tar and then trying to rip a known working UHD. That should work & prove that ripping + key downloading is working. Then I'd try ripping Schindler's List again.