Asus BW-16D1HT works in MakeMKV but Windows can't read it

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
kazrak

Asus BW-16D1HT works in MakeMKV but Windows can't read it

Post by kazrak »

I purchased an Asus BW-16D1HT a while back and flashed it to LibreDrive firmware version ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014, and everything worked fine. I ripped my current DVD, Blu-Ray, and UHD Blu-Ray collection with it.

Last year, I upgraded my Windows desktop to a new motherboard, CPU, and SSD, and decided to do a clean Windows install. Since then, MakeMKV has worked perfectly fine on the drive, but Windows and all other programs can't detect discs in it. This limits my ability to rip DVDs, as I can't get a raw VIDEO_TS rip from MakeMKV, just MKV files. (I like to have both, in case the DVD rots as some of mine have.) I've ended up using a USB BD drive to rip DVDs; it works fine, but it's an awkward and annoying solution.

I've tried reverting the firmware, to no avail, and tried various fixes found online for optical drives not detecting properly. Nothing has seemed to work.

Has anyone seen this, and does anyone know of a solution short of reverting the firmware and reinstalling Windows?
MartyMcNuts

Re: Asus BW-16D1HT works in MakeMKV but Windows can't read it

Post by MartyMcNuts »

kazrak wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:59 pm
I purchased an Asus BW-16D1HT a while back and flashed it to LibreDrive firmware version ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014, and everything worked fine. I ripped my current DVD, Blu-Ray, and UHD Blu-Ray collection with it.

Last year, I upgraded my Windows desktop to a new motherboard, CPU, and SSD, and decided to do a clean Windows install. Since then, MakeMKV has worked perfectly fine on the drive, but Windows and all other programs can't detect discs in it. This limits my ability to rip DVDs, as I can't get a raw VIDEO_TS rip from MakeMKV, just MKV files. (I like to have both, in case the DVD rots as some of mine have.) I've ended up using a USB BD drive to rip DVDs; it works fine, but it's an awkward and annoying solution.

I've tried reverting the firmware, to no avail, and tried various fixes found online for optical drives not detecting properly. Nothing has seemed to work.

Has anyone seen this, and does anyone know of a solution short of reverting the firmware and reinstalling Windows?
I've heard of thing like this happening before and I think it may have something to do with windows security options. There are a couple of threads here about this issue. Use the search function and you should find them.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
kazrak

Re: Asus BW-16D1HT works in MakeMKV but Windows can't read it

Post by kazrak »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:08 am

I've heard of thing like this happening before and I think it may have something to do with windows security options. There are a couple of threads here about this issue. Use the search function and you should find them.
Nothing came up in Windows Security, but going into System Configuration (mentioned in another thread), it appeared that I was set to "Selective Startup" somehow. Switching that to "Normal Startup" and rebooting appears to have cleared up the issue - thank you!