External Housings

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
jammer

External Housings

Post by jammer »

Hey All,

Just thought I'd drop a line in. I've been lurking and reading for a while. Just finally took the plunge!

I have a BU40N and a Vantec NST-510S3-BK enclosure on the way (shout out to Billycar11 for the guide, much appreciated). Managed to find them at decent prices so thought what the heck, lets have a punt!

It's genuinely shocking to see the prices some people are charging for this stuff. I managed to get the drive and an enclosure for <£90 delivered. I've seen prices as high as £110 just for the BU40N. And £195 for a WH16NS60 is just la-la-land silly prices.

I tried running MMKV using my old Plextor PX-LB950SA but whilst it's still a great drive and works flawlessly all these years later, it's just too old, the poor dear.

I went for an enclosure that allows for flashing as I'm lazy ... so going check the BU40N firmware version and for the requirements in the guide before I do anything. I also went for an official UHD drive to avoid the sleep bug so I'm hoping for a relatively painless process. I build lots of PCs so flashing stuff is second nature but any tips or gotchas would be appreciated.

Looking forward to having a play with this lot.