drive reports errors after flashing [SOLVED]

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
jpsollie

drive reports errors after flashing [SOLVED]

Post by jpsollie »

Out of curiosity, I changed the drive firmware from default 1.01 to 1.04 with MK patches enabled.
However, when doing a DVD rip with MKV, I saw the following:
MakeMKV v1.15.4 linux (x64 release) started
error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST: READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE16NU50 1.04' at offset '1048576'
error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST: READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE16NU50 1.04' at offset '1048576'
Using LibreDrive mode (v06.2 id = CB2F30C1985B)
Use direct disc access mode
Title # 1 was added (51 cell (s), 2:17:18)
Title # 2 was added (1 cell (s), 0:02:26)
Title # 4 was added (1 cell (s), 0:02:26)
The source file 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE16NU50 1.04' is corrupt or invalid at offset 24576, trying to work around it
The source file 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE16NU50 1.04' is corrupt or invalid at offset 24576, trying to work around it
Things still look pretty normal, so I'm curious about what this error means:
- Is it related to the firmware upgrade (1.01 to 1.04?)
- Is it related to the patch not working correctly?
- Is it related to extra info Libredrive is able to provide to makeMKV while the original firmware is not?

Thank you for your help
Last edited by jpsollie on Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonghotti

Re: drive reports errors after flashing

Post by jonghotti »

OK, no I'm doing an impersonation of a moderator, which one I am honoring with this impersonation?

"Generally speaking, the error you're getting is caused by an error in reading the directory portion of the disk. MakeMKV can't get the information it needs to create an access key for the disk, and the read attempt gives the "illegal request".

The vast majority of the time, it is because there is a previous read error before the illegal request error, and that error is caused by a dirty or scratched disk.

There are a small percentage of times when the cause is not running MakeMKV with administrator privileges, and the operating system prevents it from talking directly to the drive, but that's not that often."
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
jpsollie

Re: drive reports errors after flashing [SOLVED]

Post by jpsollie »

Well, as makeMKV worked before, I guess there's no problem here.
In meantime, after trying a few other DVDs, I saw the problem disappeared, so it must indeed have been a disc with bad sectors ... guess I shouldn't have waited much longer before taking a backup of the original disc :D
jonghotti

Re: drive reports errors after flashing [SOLVED]

Post by jonghotti »

Woodstock that was for you buddy!
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829