Asus BW-16D1HT stoped reading disks suddenly

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
aaroniscrazy

Asus BW-16D1HT stoped reading disks suddenly

Post by aaroniscrazy »

I have a Asus BW-16D1HT and have never had any issues with it. About a month ago I took a break from ripping bluerays and dvds and when I tried to start back up again I ran into some issues. MakeMKV takes FOREVER to recognize a disk assuming that it even does. During that time I have gotten then following debug codes:
DEBUG: Code 3221225861 at SnjLlET?7*kAC=V3:121267431
DEBUG: Code 3221225861 at 266L9_:?HCenQ;[b:213134952
If it successfully recognizes the disk then there is about a 25% change that I can get all the way through ripping (I haven't gotten it to read a disk recently in order to get an error code/message). The only change that has occurred in that month that I think could affect it would be updating from MakeMKV 1.15.1 to 1.15.2 however even downgrading doesn't seem to resolve the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time
Attachments
Debug.PNG
Debug.PNG (82.32 KiB) Viewed 30480 times
jonghotti

Re: Asus BW-16D1HT stoped reading disks suddenly

Post by jonghotti »

Anyone have an idea?
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Maybe reflash the firmware onto the drive? I'm just guessing; I have no idea what's wrong.
duss909

Post by duss909 »

I also have Asus BW-16D1HT and are experiencing major problems with dual-layer bluray discs. I recognize the similar debug messages you are receiving.

She has become a real fastidious prima donna who only consort with überclean discs. And I do mean clean discs. So clean like you have never seen before. Like when you believe disc is clean, you clean it again. After such cleanse, she reads also the dual-layer bluray discs Ok. I find that latest version of MakeMKV with adapting speeds seem to have helped as well.

Under the assumption that something was the matter with the lens, I took her apart for cleaning but could not see anything wrong with it. At least not visible to the eye.

I was thinking that burning a couple of bluray discs may "clean" or correct the lens "from the other side" that didn't get the isopropyl soaked cotton swab treatment. Have not tried this burning yet, and I have no idea if this might be a thing but at least it sounds proper logical. Some kind of oxidation that settled on the lens while she was on some months break. Perhaps she is just simply rapid decaying as of late and shall soon pass on to the recycle bin.

For some reason, anyway, dual-layer bluray discs must be super clean to be read.

Anyhow, my Asus BW-16D1HT:
- DVD reads all fine
- Bluray single-layer discs to my memory all fine
- Bluray dual-layer discs needs cleaning, nay, purgation(!) and then fine
- Unit used for both read/burn bluray discs
- Long periods of idle standby
- Latest mk firmware, makemkv version, windows update
- She is less than 3 years
awdspyder

Post by awdspyder »

A little late to the party, but maybe this helps someone. I had the exact same issue last night. Finally got around to upgrading from v1.15.1 to v1.15.3 to attempt some DV rips.

Win 10 1903
Asus BW-16D1HT v3.01

To date I've successfully ripped 140+ UHDs following the same procedure, with very few actual failures, all due to visibly scratched media. Otherwise, 100% success across several versions of MakeMKV.

My process is like this:
1. Open retail packaging
2. Wash hands to remove oil
3. Remove UHD disc from packaging
4. Place 3 drops of Dawn dish detergent and clean, center to outside, with warm water and rinse
5. Wipe clean, center to outside, with a clean microfiber cloth (always washed with Chemical Guys microfiber cleaner)
6. Insert disc into drive
7. Wait for OS to acknowledge disc (discs are often unreadable if I do not)
8. Run MakeMKV as admin
9. Rip disc

I'm quite fastidious about this, and have very few issues.

So I recently purchased a few new titles and set to ripping with MakeMKV. The first titles were fine, no issues as usual. Part way through, I was perusing the forum and noticed the latest Dolby Vision capabilities, which I've been pretty excited for, so I upgraded. Also, for the first time, I installed the CD-ROM arbiter service. I totally get why it's there, so why not.

After cleaning, the first disc I pop in is one of two new titles I've yet to rip with DV. The first thing I notice is that the drive is making some pretty unhappy seeking noises upon loading the disc. Then, it takes several tries for the OS to recognize there's a disc in the drive. The OS eventually recognizes the disc it and I start MakeMKV. MakeMKV seems to take longer than usual to decrypt the disk and again makes some unhealthy seek noise, but ultimately opens. Upon attempting to load the titles, which again takes longer than usual, I see a pile of these below, and more noise from the drive:

DEBUG: Code 2399219969 at 514U4Qpim*J{}UjC?:29397219
DEBUG: Code 2399219969 at 514U4Qpim*J{}UjC?:213132399
DEBUG: Code 1 at 514U4Qpim*J{}UjC?:29396920
DEBUG: Code 2399211777 at 514U4Qpim*J{}UjC?:213132399
DEBUG: Code 2 at 514U4Qpim*J{}UjC?:29396920
DEBUG: Code 3 at 514U4Qpim*J{}UjC?:29396920
DEBUG: Code 4 at 514U4Qpim*J{}UjC?:29396920
DEBUG: Code 0 at yv"y}$N<9>6(HCzT:29396920

After a number of minutes, the disc finally fails to open citing hash issues. Ok, unusual, but maybe it's a bad disc. I'm prepared to send it back to Amazon and then load the next disc, still excited to try to get a DV rip.

Next, I load another new disc with DV. Again, unhealthy noise from the drive, seems to hang for several moments during decrypting phase. The application then hangs during processing titles. I give it time, as the application is not responding, though the disc audibly spinning. Elapsed/remaining time is frozen, though the application never errors out. Finally, it fails to load the disc, again with hash errors.

Encountered 15212 errors of type 'HashCheck Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/hashcheck/...
Failed to open disc

OK, fine, I've been in IT for 20 years, and I know there's a couple of truths: 2) There are no coincidences, and 2) A new problem is nearly always a result of the thing that changed most recently. So I uninstall v1.15.3, reboot, and roll back to MakeMKV 1.15.1, this time opting to not install the arbiter service, to return things to the way they were. Unfortunately, there was no change in behavior, it was still a steaming mess.

So I now try one of the new discs without DV (not that it matters) that I just ripped with v1.15.1 before upgrading and rolling back. No dice - it's behaving just like the others. That's when I noticed something odd - the arbiter service is still running. So I kill it. When I do, no discs are recognized. As in, at all. The drive doesn't even indicate there is a disc present in the OS and the light on the drive continuously flashes after a disc is inserted. Clearly there's some dependency here I'm not aware of.

So, I did the only other reasonable thing - I rolled back via System Restore. Drive is now working as before, clean UHD rips, no debug errors, no hash errors. After testing in v1.15.1, I upgraded to v1.15.3 and the drive continues to work fine. Clearly not the drive, clearly not the disc. Others have reported rare, but similar mishaps after upgrades and found a reinstall of Windows solved it for them, though a System Restore if enabled is certainly quicker. I'm really not sure what about this process could cause such an issue, but we are talking about software and a service that issues SCSI commands to hardware, so who knows.

A couple of questions for Mike:
1. Why isn't the arbiter service/process stopped/removed when the application is uninstalled?
2. Why the strange behavior when I kill the arbiter process?
3. Clearly a Windows service is calling the arbiter process, but I do not see a proper Windows service in the MMC, though it's listed in services in the Task Manager. sc query shows the following, so again, why am I not seeing it in the MMC?

SERVICE_NAME: CdRomArbiterService
DISPLAY_NAME: CdRom Device Arbiter service
TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
STATE : 4 RUNNING
(STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, ACCEPTS_SHUTDOWN)
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0

Thanks!
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

duss909 wrote:I also have Asus BW-16D1HT and are experiencing major problems with dual-layer bluray discs. I recognize the similar debug messages you are receiving.

She has become a real fastidious prima donna who only consort with überclean discs. And I do mean clean discs. So clean like you have never seen before. Like when you believe disc is clean, you clean it again. After such cleanse, she reads also the dual-layer bluray discs Ok. I find that latest version of MakeMKV with adapting speeds seem to have helped as well.

Under the assumption that something was the matter with the lens, I took her apart for cleaning but could not see anything wrong with it. At least not visible to the eye.

I was thinking that burning a couple of bluray discs may "clean" or correct the lens "from the other side" that didn't get the isopropyl soaked cotton swab treatment. Have not tried this burning yet, and I have no idea if this might be a thing but at least it sounds proper logical. Some kind of oxidation that settled on the lens while she was on some months break. Perhaps she is just simply rapid decaying as of late and shall soon pass on to the recycle bin.

For some reason, anyway, dual-layer bluray discs must be super clean to be read.

Anyhow, my Asus BW-16D1HT:
- DVD reads all fine
- Bluray single-layer discs to my memory all fine
- Bluray dual-layer discs needs cleaning, nay, purgation(!) and then fine
- Unit used for both read/burn bluray discs
- Long periods of idle standby
- Latest mk firmware, makemkv version, windows update
- She is less than 3 years

She’s lived a long time by today’s standards.
What is her name?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

jonghotti wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:23 am
She’s lived a long time by today’s standards.
is it? I bought my BW-16D1HT in August 2017 and it feels just fine.
razvicostea

Post by razvicostea »

Hello everyone! I too have this problem with the ASUS-BW-16D1HT, since I bought it I burnt about 172 BluRay 25GB discs, 20 50GB discs and 10 Audio CDs, everything was fine, the disks all read perfect. Then I haven't used the drive for about 6 months, and now when I tried to read a previously burnt BluRay disc it didn't read it, and now I discovered it doesn't read ANY BluRay disc I burnt before, not even genuine BluRay discs with movies that I bought...
I opened it up, but the lenses were clean... I updated the firmware from Asus website, still not reading disks, then I found on this website Mike's firmware (ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014), still didn't read BluRays but I managed to burn a Audio CD that read after... :D Is this a faulty Asus model that stops working if you are not using it for 6 months? How can I make it back to it's senses and start reading the disks that it burned? Please any suggestion would be precious! Thank you in advance! Razvan.
AntiGuide

Post by AntiGuide »

Hi you all!
I have the same issue. I am on Linux and didn't backup BluRay's for a few months so last time was on an older version.
Today I digitalized a UHD BluRay sucessfully and wanted to continue with the second one which failed to be recognized. After that I put in the first disk which failed to recognize now. I am on firmware 3.10 since I got the drive a year ago.
However the DVD I tried gets recognized.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

AntiGuide wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:04 pm
Hi you all!
I have the same issue. I am on Linux and didn't backup BluRay's for a few months so last time was on an older version.
Today I digitalized a UHD BluRay sucessfully and wanted to continue with the second one which failed to be recognized. After that I put in the first disk which failed to recognize now. I am on firmware 3.10 since I got the drive a year ago.
However the DVD I tried gets recognized.
full shutdown the pc flip psu switch hold power button for 10 seconds see if it works then
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
AntiGuide

Post by AntiGuide »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:13 pm
full shutdown the pc flip psu switch hold power button for 10 seconds see if it works then
WOW! Thank you! It works now. I didn't know this was a thing for BluRay drives. Now back to Back To The Future :wink:
iBypass

Post by iBypass »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:13 pm
I ran into the exact same issue with my ASUS BW-16D1HT drive with firmware 3.10 (MK) and LibreDrive Enabled.

I've been ripping so many CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays and UHD 4k Blu-rays without any issue ... then ... one day I put "Jaws" (4K UHD 40th Anniversary Edition imported from the UK) and my drive suddenly went through some various errors ... after that, no matter which disc I did put in, MakeMKV was unable to read the media and was reporting "No Disc" ... I also tried to reboot my computer several times, but no effect ...

Then, after about an hour of troubleshooting I found this thread ... I tried your advice (full PC shutdown) and BOOM, the drive was back to normal operation !

Thanks, Thanks & THANKS !

iBypass ;-)
ThatOneGuy

Post by ThatOneGuy »

Needless to say, I have the same optical drive. But my issue is isolated - only 1 standard BluRay disc cannot be read/recognized.

I've been trying to read/rip it for the past few years. I've gone from the original firmware that shipped with the drive, to the latest 3.10. If memory serves, I was using MakeMKV 1.14.x but am now on the latest 1.16.5 - and I've been pretty consistent about upgrading my version every 2 or 3 minor release versions.

I am incredibly frustrated as this is one of my favorite movies (Repo! The Genetic Opera) and I am certainly not thrilled that I cannot rip it.

I've gone through the rest of my BluRay collection and all (except 4K) discs will read & rip. I did all my ripping alphabetically, so I had ripped 30+ BluRays after trying to rip Repo, all without issue.

I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar (only specific discs cannot be read) issue or not.

I'm going to try doing this task in Linux, to see if the result is any different, and I'll report back.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

ThatOneGuy wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:25 pm
Needless to say, I have the same optical drive. But my issue is isolated - only 1 standard BluRay disc cannot be read/recognized.

I've been trying to read/rip it for the past few years. I've gone from the original firmware that shipped with the drive, to the latest 3.10. If memory serves, I was using MakeMKV 1.14.x but am now on the latest 1.16.5 - and I've been pretty consistent about upgrading my version every 2 or 3 minor release versions.

I am incredibly frustrated as this is one of my favorite movies (Repo! The Genetic Opera) and I am certainly not thrilled that I cannot rip it.

I've gone through the rest of my BluRay collection and all (except 4K) discs will read & rip. I did all my ripping alphabetically, so I had ripped 30+ BluRays after trying to rip Repo, all without issue.

I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar (only specific discs cannot be read) issue or not.

I'm going to try doing this task in Linux, to see if the result is any different, and I'll report back.
Clean the disc
Replace the disc
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
crossflux

Post by crossflux »

ThatOneGuy wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:25 pm
I've experienced this with some 4K blu rays too. I'd suggest;
- Remove the disc
- Restart the computer
- Open MakeMKV, insert the disk
- As soon as the disc is recognised, rip the entire disc to a folder using the 'Make Backup' option
- You can then create an MKV from the backup folder, not the disc

I'm not exactly sure why this works but I suspect there is some kind of timeout issue or the decryption process glitches during the creation of the MKV directly from the disc. I'd be interested to hear if this helps. Sometimes you might need to repeat the whole process a couple of times to get success.