LibDriveIO API

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
cobol72

LibDriveIO API

Post by cobol72 »

Recently I've been messing around with console emulators and was wondering if it would be possible to use my PC to rip Wii games. I discovered this program called friidump which does this but it only works on certain drives. This is because the data on Wii discs is weirdly laid out so any ripping applications need to use vendor-specific commands to access the raw disc data. As such, these applications work with a very limited subset of drives. I know LibreDrive allows MakeMKV to access direct disc data without any policing by the drive, so I was wondering if LibreDrive would work for the situation where the data on the disc doesn't follow the ECMA-267 standard? If it would, I was trying to find the LibDriveIO library but apparently it hasn't been released yet. Is there any indication of when it would be released? Thanks in advance.
Ezatoka

Re: LibDriveIO API

Post by Ezatoka »

Do you have your Wii homebrewed? With the USB Loader GX for example you can just insert the Wii game and then make an ISO of it onto a USB stick attached to the Wii.
cobol72

Post by cobol72 »

I know you can accomplish the same thing with a Wii but I think it'd be nice to have a PC-based solution as well for reading Wii discs.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

If there would be a way to read the Wii discs, then there also should be a way to read GD-ROMs from the Dreamcast, if LibreDrive can achieve such (which would be great)
cobol72

Post by cobol72 »

I did some research into GD-ROMs and it does look like LIbreDrive could help there too. Would love to hear from the MakeMKV developers if there's any possibility for the LibDriveIO library to be released? I understand if they've got plenty of other things on their plate.
gary9872

Post by gary9872 »

Yes the WII can do it.. but it would be great to have a faster solution
Arch Linux (Rolling)

Drives:

DVDRAM GH24NSC0 Rev, LY00
BD-RE WH16NS4 Rev. 1
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

I second that. LibDriveIO API could be very helpful for many things. It should now be first priority after Mike succeeded with his work on Pioneer drives.
emrysblack

Post by emrysblack »

Taking preliminary look, the Linux download version of MakeMKV comes with the open source bits which appears to include the LibreDrive integration. So if you want to gander at LibreDrive, that's where I'd start.