My poor ancient HD-DVD/BD Combo!

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
mike admin

Re: My poor ancient HD-DVD/BD Combo!

Post by mike admin »

icourt wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:18 pm
So we’re talking cross-flashing a BDR-205 with GGW-20L firmware. If it’s far from trivial, then it’s still possible... right? ;)
Yes. Hardware is identical.
Blackened2687

Post by Blackened2687 »

These drives have different PCB layout and optical pickups (LG uses Hitachi-made pickup, while Pioneer uses its own pickup). Even if both drives theoretically could be "crossflashed", the amount of work necessary in order to make the drive firmware work properly with different optical head and other electronics is probably out of this world.

In my humble opinion, it should be simplier to, say, make BDR-208 drives support UHD media or to add HD DVD writing capabilities to GGW-H20L (AFAIK, the drive has everything necessary for it).

BTW, I personally have Toshiba SD-H903A HD DVD-R drive pulled from Japanese standalone HD DVD-R recorder, but its command system appears to be incompatible with generic PC burning/reading software, the drive refuses to write anything except lead-in to HD DVD and, thus, corrupts the expensive and hard-to-find today HD DVD-R media. I wonder, if it's possible to do something about it?

Maybe it's possible to extract and patch its firmware to make it work on PC? I don't know, if the firmware dump from laptop HD DVD burner from Toshiba could help in this task. I have it myself, too (SD-L912A).
nekno

Post by nekno »

I'm hoping this might also help my lesser-known LG GGC-H20L model variant, which reads but doesn't write HD-DVDs.

Code: Select all

Drive Information
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BDDVDRW GGC-H20L
Revision: 1.03
Firmware date: 2008-05-15 12:34:56

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: RS1013
Firmware version: 1.03-
LG GGC-H20L-edit.png
LG GGC-H20L-edit.png (22.86 KiB) Viewed 30672 times
mercennarius

Post by mercennarius »

So how hard will it be to turn these into a libredrive?
nekno

Post by nekno »

Now if I can only find that Xbox 360 external HD-DVD drive laying around here somewhere...

IIRC, it was also a Toshiba model of some sort, since they were the principal proponent of the standard.

I was so convinced HD DVD was going to win out, given its benefits and Sony's previous efforts to strong-arm the industry with Betamax vs VHS, but here we are today with the lone BD/UHD BD standards.
icourt

Post by icourt »

mercennarius wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:34 pm
So how hard will it be to turn these into a libredrive?
I'm sure Mike will take a look, when he has the time.

nekno wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:13 pm
Now if I can only find that Xbox 360 external HD-DVD drive laying around here somewhere...
I've got a box full of those somewhere, all still sealed, never seen the light of day. Not sure they will ever be of much use. :lol:
AffSeda

Post by AffSeda »

My original question about drive platforms seemed so innocuous at the time...

If it will help, I can provide ssh access or remote desktop access to a rig with one of these drives in it. It's not in use otherwise, but it runs Debian. There's no Windows here. No personal information is kept on that system.
ImCoKeMaN

Post by ImCoKeMaN »

I have a laptop with an RS1013 drive, it doesn't say it is hddvd, but would it still be helpful at all to send in the firmware?
Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Product: BDDVDRW CT10L
Revision: YC07
Firmware date: 2008-09-12 12:34:56
Highest AACS version: 65

LibreDrive Information
Firmware version: YC07-03a091208

Not sure I'd gain too much from libredrive on this one, other than it being awesome, but figured I'd share if there is any need and add a vote that there is another RS1013 out there still spinning
AffSeda

Post by AffSeda »

LibreDrive Information
Status: Possible, might be supported in future, but not likely soon
Firmware version: XL07-00
Yay, there's hope yet :p
mercennarius

Post by mercennarius »

Any updates on this?
mercennarius

Post by mercennarius »

mike admin wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:31 pm
icourt wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:18 pm
So we’re talking cross-flashing a BDR-205 with GGW-20L firmware. If it’s far from trivial, then it’s still possible... right? ;)
Yes. Hardware is identical.
Hey Mike, Just checking to see if there's been any more thought put into these drives? Curious if they can be made into a libre drive as well. Thanks!
MetalDave

Post by MetalDave »

I just wanted to add a +1 to this request to add the RS1013 platform to LibreDrive. I have the LG GGC-H20L HD DVD and Blu-ray Combo drive. It would make life easier if we could avoid the VUK method with the HD DVD (which are, literally, rotting away as we speak).

Here's what I'm rocking as well:

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/sr0
Product: BDDVDRW GGC-H20L
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: K5989AB1734
Firmware date: 2008-05-15 12:34:56
Highest AACS version: 72

LibreDrive Information
Status: Possible, might be supported in future, but not likely soon
Firmware version: 1.03-
If there's anything I can do to contribute to this effort, please advise!
Support MakeMKV - Buy a license!
(Seriously, you use this thing enough; A lifetime license is well worth it.)

Thank you to all of my fellow supporters!
mmkav

Post by mmkav »

I have a BD-RE BH10LS30 with 1.00 firmware on the same RS1013 drive platform. Which firmware should I flash it to for now (until LibreDrive)? Is cross flashing to support HD DVD possible?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

At present, there is no LibreDrive support for ANY Pioneer drive, so the RSxxxx platforms do not have any firmware packages.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mmkav

Post by mmkav »

Woodstock wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:40 pm
At present, there is no LibreDrive support for ANY Pioneer drive, so the RSxxxx platforms do not have any firmware packages.
I know, but this platform RS1013, LibreDrive on it maybe in the future is discussed here in conjunction with HD DVD.

I posted my question here because I hope someone familiar with it has a recommendation for a newer firmware version and/or Cross Flash and can answer my question if HD DVD can be archieved by Cross Flash, I found info that it works for other models but no one confirmed or denied for this model.