BD Drive won't rip DVD or Blu-rays all of a sudden

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
ictbydesign

Re: BD Drive won't rip DVD or Blu-rays all of a sudden

Post by ictbydesign »

My Asus has stopped again today, it did work after your patch a week ago as per my last post.
Disabled download and applied the last bin file as before and it has started working again.
jtiger102

Post by jtiger102 »

jtiger102 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:03 pm
I think I may have the same bug.
Using SDF v76.

I have the Asus drive in the Vantec external enclosure via USB with patched firmware for Libredrive.

If I power on the drive without MakeMKV open, the drive acts normally. That is, it powers on, reads a disc, and I get the Win10 notification.

I have to have the drive powered on prior to opening MakeMKV, otherwise it doesn't detect any drives and I have to restart MakeMKV. I think this is normal anyway.

After opening MakeMKV, it seems to read the disc to get the structure, etc just fine.
However, after starting the read process, it hangs and doesn't go any further. I have to manually stop the process, which does take a few seconds. MakeMKV eventually responds with a fatal error message and then closes. I am unable to eject the drive.

If I go to power off the drive, it takes a few seconds for the Windows USB disconnect sound. If I repower the drive after waiting for 10 seconds, it responds normally and I'm able to eject the drive. However, it won't read the disc.

Just to be safe, I uninstalled and reinstalled MakeMKV as well. No dice.
I am running Windows 10 v2004 if that makes any difference.
As a follow up, I also have an original LG UH12NS40 with 1.01 firmware and is unpatched.
I replaced the Asus drive (BW-16D1HT with patched 3.10) with the LG drive and the program works fine. It of course doesn't support Libredrive operation, but otherwise it seems to work. I was successfully able to read and pull files from a standard Blu-ray with no issues.

EDIT: I'll be curious to see if you have an update, Mike! I would like to use the Asus drive again, but it's not working.
Last edited by jtiger102 on Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

ictbydesign wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:17 pm
My Asus has stopped again today, it did work after your patch a week ago as per my last post.
Disabled download and applied the last bin file as before and it has started working again.
Please send the log from v76. This could be a one-time glitch...
RoamingBison

Post by RoamingBison »

I started having issues a few days ago as well. My drive doesn't see bluray discs at all. It will just spin and chug away for a while and then spit out a "no disc" message. It plays DVD and CD audio discs just fine.
I tried adding the "SDF_STOP" to my environment variables and added the registry key. That kept the SDF from loading in MakeMKV but blu-ray discs are still not recognized.
The log is pretty useless:

Code: Select all

Debug log started at Thu Jun 25 22:16:23 2020 , written by MakeMKV v1.15.1 win(x64-release)
Using 262272KB for read cache.
001005:0000 MakeMKV v1.15.1 win(x64-release) started
001004:0000 Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\myname/MakeMKV_log.txt
003338:0000 Downloading latest SDF to C:\Users\myname/.MakeMKV ...
SDF  v076: HL-DT-ST_BD-RE__WH16NS40_1.02_211703101650_SIK9HG8JJ574
Application exited at Thu Jun 25 22:19:42 2020
Maybe it's just coincidence and my drive died? It's strange that DVD will play fine though.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Disc detection is done by the Operating System. So it looks like, that the drive has a problem.
Good Luck :)

Post by ictbydesign »

Hi Mike,
I re enabled the auto update and tried a 4K disc, it ripped that one ok this time (previously would not see BD or UHD disk).

Tried 2001_ A Space Odyssey (Collectors edition) this morning and received the message in the logfile.
Not had chance to try another disk, so this maybe disc specific.
Edit:
Tried two more today and those have worked.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(128.19 KiB) Downloaded 617 times
MrVanx

Post by MrVanx »

mike admin wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:40 pm
Penfold82 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:12 pm
As I said in previous post changing my sata controller from IDE to AHCI sorted the issue for me and every SDF update after worked ok.
There were two separate bugs in that code. Hang in IDE mode was just one of them (not rally a bug of my microcode, rather a missing workaround for buggy IDE controller).

Other bug is fixed (hopefully) as of now too, sdf v76 should work.
Hi Mike,
It comes as no surprise that its working now :)

many thanks again!
jtiger102

Post by jtiger102 »

jtiger102 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:46 pm
jtiger102 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:03 pm
I think I may have the same bug.
Using SDF v76.

I have the Asus drive in the Vantec external enclosure via USB with patched firmware for Libredrive.

If I power on the drive without MakeMKV open, the drive acts normally. That is, it powers on, reads a disc, and I get the Win10 notification.

I have to have the drive powered on prior to opening MakeMKV, otherwise it doesn't detect any drives and I have to restart MakeMKV. I think this is normal anyway.

After opening MakeMKV, it seems to read the disc to get the structure, etc just fine.
However, after starting the read process, it hangs and doesn't go any further. I have to manually stop the process, which does take a few seconds. MakeMKV eventually responds with a fatal error message and then closes. I am unable to eject the drive.

If I go to power off the drive, it takes a few seconds for the Windows USB disconnect sound. If I repower the drive after waiting for 10 seconds, it responds normally and I'm able to eject the drive. However, it won't read the disc.

Just to be safe, I uninstalled and reinstalled MakeMKV as well. No dice.
I am running Windows 10 v2004 if that makes any difference.
As a follow up, I also have an original LG UH12NS40 with 1.01 firmware and is unpatched.
I replaced the Asus drive (BW-16D1HT with patched 3.10) with the LG drive and the program works fine. It of course doesn't support Libredrive operation, but otherwise it seems to work. I was successfully able to read and pull files from a standard Blu-ray with no issues.

EDIT: I'll be curious to see if you have an update, Mike! I would like to use the Asus drive again, but it's not working.
Hi Mike,
Curious if you've been able to identify anything.
ictbydesign

Post by ictbydesign »

I re flashed the ASUS to - HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BH16NS60-1.00-NM00500-211804030945
This morning and so far disks I had problems with yesterday are ripping ok.
I have installed an LG WH16NS40 in another device and will test it in the next few days.
RoamingBison

Post by RoamingBison »

Grauhaar wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:57 am
Disc detection is done by the Operating System. So it looks like, that the drive has a problem.
I was afraid of that and it turned out to be just a coincidence that my drive died at the same time. I got a new replacement for my 4 year old WH16NS40 (same model). I patched it up with Mike's custom firmware and it's now working great with LibreDrive.
pkscout

Post by pkscout »

I think I'm having this same problem, and I'm at my wits end as to how to fix it.

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.02
Serial number: KL8K76G4644
Firmware date: 2117-11-24 14:13
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 72

This is in a NexStar external case and has worked fine in the past. I thought it was a bad drive, so I bought another ASUS. Same problem with that. I've tried on OSX and Windows. No dice. I swapped the USB cable. Nothing. Tried four different disks. Still nothing. I disabled Libre Drive in Windows. No help. I've flashed both drives with 3.01, 3.02, 3.10, and one of the LG images. Nada. Tried both 1.15.3 and 1.15.1. Both drives just sit there and try and read a little and then make a small noise every 5 seconds or so. The log is nothing but 'DEBUG: Code 3221225664 at' and then a bunch of characters.
garretn

Post by garretn »

This is completely anecdotal based on my observations; I use Linux Mint, latest version of the XFCE edition. I already disabled it via Sdf_Stop, but perhaps I'll re-enable it later on w/ a debug log to reproduce the issue. Before disabling it I had noticed that...

The short and sweet of it is it works absolutely fine (and great!) until something else accesses the drive while ripping; at which point only a power-off resolves the issue.

Accessing it via thunar, letting it be open in VLC, et cetra will cause it. At least without debug on, makemkv simply stops progressing without any error and will keep accessing the drive forever.
devalot

Post by devalot »

I was ripping my hair out trying to get my drive to work on Linux. I tried the sdf_stop trick but that didn't seem to work. I finally realized that I had turned off automatic updates ages ago. Turning them back on resolved the issue for me.

I really don't understand why this all happened. One day my drive worked, the next day it didn't. Same version of makemkv on both days. I had auto updates off so I wouldn't have expect makemkv to change anything behind my back.

I almost bought a new driving thinking mine had finally bit the dust. But I did a bit of searching and all of a sudden I was thrown into a world of LibreDrive and SDF. What a terrible user experience this has been.

In every other regard makemkv has been wonderful and I would be happy to pay for it again just to support development. Thank you.
Ripman

Post by Ripman »

Had a similar problem that I ran into today.

I put the thread under the BD section.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27803&p=120713#p120713
Ripman

Post by Ripman »

Ripman wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:15 pm
Had a similar problem that I ran into today.

I put the thread under the BD section.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27803&p=120713#p120713
I got it to work by unplugging the USB BD drive and rebooting.

My drive info is in the other thread, which I linked in the previous post.