Libredrive version v6

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
jonghotti

Re: Libredrive version v6

Post by jonghotti »

Woodstock wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:01 pm
You know, it's a bit strange that we have one group desiring the removal of the speed restrictions, and another needing to limit speeds for reasons like available USB power or fragile media.

My BD copy of Last Starfighter has a section of the hub missing, but it survived 3 rips.
It’s called a democracy my man!
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
Navvie

Post by Navvie »

midnighwatcher wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:22 am
Is it possible that the increased speeds could potentially destroy discs? I had a Bluray disc just literally explode in my LG drive into a million pieces. It had trouble reading the disc and was constantly adjusting the spin speed and then eventually heard a loud POP inside the drive like a gun after about an hour.
Between Christmas and new year in 2010 I destroyed a Pioneer DVD-RW drive (a DVR-116 or DVR-216, I think) after I removed the read speed limit with a program called Media Code Speed Edit.

At the time, the read speed limit was to keep the drive quiet, with it removed it sure read discs a lot faster but sounded like a hair dryer. No, scrap that, it sounded like a lawn mower. After a couple of discs the drive literally went bang and wouldn't read any more discs. I replaced that drive with a Pioneer BDR-205 which I'm still using to this day.
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

with the BluRay White Snake I only could achieve a max speed of around 30.0 M/s [7.0x] at the biggest m2ts file with 30 GB
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

With what drive and firmware?
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Running an ASUS BW-16D1HT with MK firmware

Code: Select all

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Thanks. Always good to know what drive and firmware when results are posted. Hopefully it'll help Mike.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Ezatoka wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:28 pm
I only could achieve a max speed of around 30.0 M/s [7.0x] at the biggest m2ts file with 30 GB
The max speed has nothing to do with the size of a file. The place of the file on disc is important, on the inner place (near the hub) the max speed is approx 2x, on the outer place the max can be approx. 10x-12x. With one revolution (the RPM did not change) the inner place (very short) only less data can be read within the same time (one revolution) as on the outer place (much longer) a lot of more data can be read. So the 7x are normal, on some discs with read trouble, the drive can slow down the rate to 2x or less for the complete rip.
Good Luck :)

Post by Ezatoka »

Certainly I noticed on several disks already that the speed is going down again when the rip comes near the end of the current file. Like it's max speed between 75 and 85%, then it gets slower again.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:16 am
Thanks. Always good to know what drive and firmware when results are posted. Hopefully it'll help Mike.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
hmm how about an opt-in possibility in the options to automatically submit the Metadata of the Drive model, current firmware and the max speed which could be achieved on a disk? Of course wouldn't need any serial number or anything, nor the name of the disk.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Honestly I think Mike only really needs to know when things aren't working quite right. Or perceived to not be working right. In those cases where people are replying to this thread that "hey, I see X" adding the model drive and firmware should be sufficient and useful.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Then maybe just a "Max speed" at the display/in the log after ripping.
Nobody59

Post by Nobody59 »

Some personal experiences with LibreDrive Microcodes and MakeMKV 1.15.1 since the last 3 months:

Using ASUS BW-16D1HT bought in December 2019 with MK Patched Firmware 3.10. I use for testing always the same old (but clean)
Blu-ray Disc in order to obtain comparable results. Operating System is windows 7 32 Bit. SATA II is switched to native IDE mode.

With sdf_06d.bin: Blu-ray Copy (38,72 GB) = 28:19 Minutes (Peak Read 7.5x)
With sdf_070.bin: Blu-ray Copy (38,72 GB) = 19:11 Minutes (Peak Read 11.1x = ~48,2 M/s)
with sdf_071.bin: Blu-ray Copy (38,72 GB) = 28:48 Minutes (Peak Read 7.5x)
with sdf_072.bin: Blu-ray Copy (38,72 GB) = 28:42 Minutes (Peak Read 7.6x)

It seems that the Microcodes after sdf_70.bin currently no longer work properly for me in terms of speed.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Nobody59 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:48 pm
It seems that the Microcodes after sdf_70.bin currently no longer work properly for me in terms of speed.
Yes. They (SDF v70+) have a very fine speed control, but you would need MakeMKV 1.15.2 to use it. By default the drive speed is not touched. Starting with 1.15.2, MakeMKV controls speed settings per drive and media type. You would be able to set something like unlimited speed for single-layer BD, medium speed for double-layer BD and "do not touch" for UHD media. Or set a global maximum speed for your power-hungry USB drive. Different policies for different drives and media.

Just wait for 1.15.2 . :)

The default "set max speed" policy is gone from LibreDrive microcode.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

mike admin wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:13 pm
Nobody59 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:48 pm
Yes. They (SDF v70+) have a very fine speed control, but you would need MakeMKV 1.15.2 to use it. By default the drive speed is not touched. Starting with 1.15.2, MakeMKV controls speed settings per drive and media type. You would be able to set something like unlimited speed for single-layer BD, medium speed for double-layer BD and "do not touch" for UHD media. Or set a global maximum speed for your power-hungry USB drive. Different policies for different drives and media.

Just wait for 1.15.2 . :)

The default "set max speed" policy is gone from LibreDrive microcode.
Sounds good!!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
diverderf

Post by diverderf »

MrVanx wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:27 pm
rerunsorted wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:29 am

Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BDDVDRW UH12NS30
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: K9LE9OD4329
Firmware date: 2114-03-26 11:41
Bus encryption flags: 16
Highest AACS version: 68
Using v6 causes my OS to drop the drive when attempting to decrypt the disc causing MakeMKV to also crash.

I get the 'OS error - This device does not exist' error until MakeMKV crashes. I then have to power off the PC before the drive is recognized again.

My drive was originally Revision 1.03. I tried flashing down to 1.02 to see if that would resolve the issue but it didn't.

I've tried 3 discs, all Blu-ray. They were Onward, Frozen 2 and Jumanji 2. All had the same behavior after tried to decrypt and all discs were able to be ripped when not using LibreDrive v6.
Yep I get a similar result with my UH12NS30 also:

OS device name: /dev/sr0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: K9MEA8F2118
Firmware date: 2114-04-24 19:00
Highest AACS version: 71
I left makemkv whirring away for a bit (attempting to open a BD disc) and it eventually gave me an error (fatal error?).
anyways I have reverted back so I can rip a disc but please see attached my log file which might be of some help?

FYI the disc I was attempting to open in the log worked just fine after reverting back to 1.15.1 (linux), libredrive status returned to "Status: Possible, not yet enabled".

Cheers.
I am having the same issues with the Win10 OS not recognizing my BD drive after starting MakeMKV. I noticed the change happened after it updated the SDF file on 6/19. I ended up having to uninstall and then reinstall MakeMKV, and set the auto-update setting to not update.

OS device name: E:
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: K9LEA8E3013
Firmware date: 2114-04-24 19:00
Highest AACS version: 65