Flashing My Drive to a Firmware for Makes and Models Other Than Factory Loaded

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Chris Kelly

Flashing My Drive to a Firmware for Makes and Models Other Than Factory Loaded

Post by Chris Kelly »

For those of you who are following this post, I forgot to mention a few things. I use use Redfox's ANYDVDHD instead of MakeMKV. I don't want to change the format nor file structure nor add compression. I just want to copy my disks to the SSD in their respective folders and use VLC to play them. I come here because the developers of MakeMKV also seem to know the firmware for the ASUS/ and LG drives. Back in February, my BE16NU50 died after three years. I purchased an LG WH-16NS40 SVC NS50 with firmware version 1.03. I then flashed it to version 1.00. It has inconsistant read issues with UHD Blu-rays. Some rip successfully. Some get stuck in the middle of rips. I am thinking about trying the various compatible firmwares. What are the differences including whether there's a limit on ripping speed, disk/format compatibility, UHD friendly, and official UHD between the ASUS BW-16D1HT, ASUS BW-16D1HU, ASUS BW16-D1X-U, LG BE16NS50, LG BH16NS40, LG BH16NS50, LG BH16NS55, LG BH16NS58, LG BH16NS60, LG WH16NS40, LG WH16NS50, LG WH16NS55, LG WH16NS58, and LG WH16NS60?
Last edited by Chris Kelly on Tue May 05, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Billycar11

Re: Flashing My Drive to a Firmware for Makes and Models Other Than Factory Loaded

Post by Billycar11 »

Chris Kelly wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:37 pm
Back in February, I purchased an LG WH-16NS40 SVC NS50 with firmware version 1.03. I then flashed it to version 1.00. It has inconsistant read issues with UHD Blu-rays. Some rip successfully. Some get stuck in the middle of rips. I am thinking about trying the various compatible firmwares. What are the differences including whether there's a limit on ripping speed, disk/format compatibility, UHD friendly, and official UHD between the ASUS BW-16D1HT, ASUS BW-16D1HU, ASUS BW16-D1X-U, LG BE16NS50, LG BH16NS40, LG BH16NS50, LG BH16NS55, LG BH16NS58, LG BH16NS60, LG WH16NS40, LG WH16NS50, LG WH16NS55, LG WH16NS58, and LG WH16NS60?
Don't waste your time the drive is defective those desktop drives are trash BU40N is far more reliable
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Chris Kelly

Re: Flashing My Drive to a Firmware for Makes and Models Other Than Factory Loaded

Post by Chris Kelly »

Those laptop/portable drives are slower and less powerful. Considering their frailty, I don't think they'd be as durable.
Billycar11 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:07 pm
Chris Kelly wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:37 pm
Back in February, I purchased an LG WH-16NS40 SVC NS50 with firmware version 1.03. I then flashed it to version 1.00. It has inconsistant read issues with UHD Blu-rays. Some rip successfully. Some get stuck in the middle of rips. I am thinking about trying the various compatible firmwares. What are the differences including whether there's a limit on ripping speed, disk/format compatibility, UHD friendly, and official UHD between the ASUS BW-16D1HT, ASUS BW-16D1HU, ASUS BW16-D1X-U, LG BE16NS50, LG BH16NS40, LG BH16NS50, LG BH16NS55, LG BH16NS58, LG BH16NS60, LG WH16NS40, LG WH16NS50, LG WH16NS55, LG WH16NS58, and LG WH16NS60?
Don't waste your time the drive is defective those desktop drives are trash BU40N is far more reliable
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Hello Chris,

I have had no problems with Desktop drives. Please see my drive comparison page. I would be happy to be at your assistance.

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=21907

Please PM me, if you have any questions are queries.

Regards

Asmcom :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Chris Kelly wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:49 am
Those laptop/portable drives are slower and less powerful. Considering their frailty, I don't think they'd be as durable
they are slightly slower
but they are far more reliable over 50 bad of lg and asus 5.25 desktop drives only 1 bad BU40N
that is a common symptom of a defective drive stalling out on a bd 66 right in the middle on the layer switch.
i recommend you exchange your drive as no firmware is going to fix it ns60 1.00-1.02 is flaser and has no sleep bug but you will still have problems
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

I apologise to Billy Carr for accidentally deleting his post Once again sorry Billy, done by accident.

Asmcom
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Chris try the following. Flash the drive back to factory firmware and then use the MK version that Marty or Mike release for your drive.

Test the discs that did not work with 1.00 firmware and see if the work with the 1.03mk firmware if it is available.

Okay flash your drive with this version and see how it behaves with the discs that 1.00 could not do.

WH16NS40 SVC. NS50

MK PACK 20191206

HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS40-NS50-1.03-NM00600-211711211653.bin

Asmcom
Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly »

Is the one in MK pack 2020 the same? If so, I tried it, and still the same problem. Last year, my BE16NU50 was able to read "Terminator Genesis." This year, it broke and I couldn't find a new one. So as you know, I decided on the WH16NS40 and used the SATA/USB component from my BE16NU50. my WH16NS40 isn't reading it no matter what firmware I try. But I'll also check out that link you replied with. Thank you,.. Thanks to Billy as well.
asmcom wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:35 am
Chris try the following. Flash the drive back to factory firmware and then use the MK version that Marty or Mike release for your drive.

Test the discs that did not work with 1.00 firmware and see if the work with the 1.03mk firmware if it is available.

Okay flash your drive with this version and see how it behaves with the discs that 1.00 could not do.

WH16NS40 SVC. NS50

MK PACK 20191206

HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS40-NS50-1.03-NM00600-211711211653.bin

Asmcom
Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly »

Before my LG BE16NU50 broke a few months ago, the only problem I had ripping UHD Blu-rays was when the online database for my software didn't have the decryption keys for a new title. That was only temperary. When my BE16NU50 died on me, I had trouble finding a new one. Also I wanted something without the riplock. My movies have become such a big part of my routine that if a major component dies I'm happy with when I least expect it to, I get impatient, screw up, order different components online, and return them until it appears as though I found the right one. In my desperation, I thought MakeMKV compressed the video. It keeps the quality and can either put my disk into an MKV container or rip it directly. Also, my WH16NS40 is now beyond the thirty day return period. I thought it was a few disks because most of the disks I ripped with my BE16NU50 worked on my WH16NS40. But a few days ago, I had trouble ripping one with my WH16NS40 that I was able to rip with my BE16NU50. On one hand, I already spent $130 on the Pioneer BDR-212UBK, whichh is a great ripper for my 1080p Blu-rays and SD DVDs and $90 on the LG WH16NS40 which I thought was my 4K/UHD Blu-ray ripping solution. On the other hand, I spent hundreds on UHD Blu-ray titles. So I'd be throwing money away if I just give up and go back to 1080p Blu-rays of those titles.
Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly »

I have decided that as long as my WH16NS40 is under warranty, I am going to ship it to LG for service in case it's an internal hardware issue, such as the laser/pickup, mechanism, etc.. I remembered to install the newest firmware directly from LG so they wouldn't suspect I installed firmware not provided by the manufacturer and refuse free warranty service.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Chris Kelly wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:20 pm
I remembered to install the newest firmware directly from LG so they wouldn't suspect I installed firmware not provided by the manufacturer and refuse free warranty service.
Thank you for remembering to do that!
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

asmcom wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:15 am
I apologise to Billy Carr for accidentally deleting his post Once again sorry Billy, done by accident.

Asmcom
How did you delete his post?
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

In now transpires that I might not have deleted post. It might have been a glitch Billy reckons. Anyway no harm done. Have a nice day :mrgreen:
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Billycar11 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:07 pm
Billy's had a run of bad luck with the full sized drives. He's not trying to suggest that ALL full sized are trash. It's like saying that ALL Italian Americans are part of the Mafia.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

asmcom wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:15 am

Asmcom
Next time he tries to say all full sized drives are shit I'll race you to delete his post :)