Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
TheFatWookie

Re: Samsung SE 506 info

Post by TheFatWookie »

mike admin wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:09 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:32 am
B is correct. Mike added host certificate for v70 so without libredrive you can rip all discs up to and including v70.
MKBv72 is currently supported on 1.14.5 with latest key updates.
Sorry for the Noob question, but is MKB mean AACS? I mean, are you saying version 1.14.5, and up have host certificate to handle AACS v72 for drives without libredrve?
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

TheFatWookie wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:29 pm
Sorry for the Noob question, but is MKB mean AACS?
Yes
I mean, are you saying version 1.14.5, and up have host certificate to handle AACS v72 for drives without libredrve?
Yes, but the inhibitor to access any disc is the revocation table which blocks programs like MakeMKV from accessing the drive, even if this AACS version xy is supported. Looks like that te new GoT Season 8 discs have a updated revocation table and uses AACS 72. With libredrive, no problem because the revocation table is irrelevant, but without libredrive MakeMKV access to the drive fails.
Good Luck :)

Post by TheFatWookie »

Grauhaar wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:54 pm
TheFatWookie wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:29 pm
Sorry for the Noob question, but is MKB mean AACS?
Yes
I mean, are you saying version 1.14.5, and up have host certificate to handle AACS v72 for drives without libredrve?
Yes, but the inhibitor to access any disc is the revocation table which blocks programs like MakeMKV from accessing the drive, even if this AACS version xy is supported. Looks like that te new GoT Season 8 discs have a updated revocation table and uses AACS 72. With libredrive, no problem because the revocation table is irrelevant, but without libredrive MakeMKV access to the drive fails.
OMG now I am really confused. If MakeMKV 1.14.7 has AACS v72 and GoT S8 discs uses AACS v72 revocation table then I thought drives without libredrive would be fine since the key in MakeMKV has been updated to match the latest on the discs. The problem would be if newer discs had a newer table (like v73 or something) until MakeMKV is updated to match.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

In the changlog, I see:

MakeMKV v1.14.4 (6.6.2019 )

Added support for AACS v70 (for those poor souls without LibreDrive)

but for the latest versions, I see no such notation, so it's possible that AACS v72 remains unsupported for "those poor souls without LibreDrive"?:

MakeMKV v1.14.7 (4.12.2019 )

Bug fixes:
Better compatibility for decrypted AACS 2.1 FMTS files
Fixed variable expansion bug for default file name template

MakeMKV v1.14.6 (2.12.2019 )

Added support for AACS 2.1
Many small bugfixes and improvements

Although, I suppose it could be a documentation oversight?
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

TheFatWookie wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:07 pm
then I thought drives without libredrive would be fine since the key in MakeMKV has been updated to match the latest on the discs.
Three things must work for ripping

1. The program (f.e. MakeMKV) is not revoked by the revocation table (this is a drive block) in case a drive without libredrive is used. A drive with libredrive support ignores the revocation table.
2. The program (f.e. makeMKV) must support the AACS version xy of the disc
3. The program (f.e. MakeMKV) must construct the key to decrypted the disc content

As you see, the drive (revocation) and the disc (AACS support) and of cource the key for the disc itself are involved.
Good Luck :)

Post by TheFatWookie »

Grauhaar wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:34 pm
TheFatWookie wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:07 pm
then I thought drives without libredrive would be fine since the key in MakeMKV has been updated to match the latest on the discs.
Three things must work for ripping

1. The program (f.e. MakeMKV) is not revoked by the revocation table (this is a drive block) in case a drive without libredrive is used. A drive with libredrive support ignores the revocation table.
2. The program (f.e. makeMKV) must support the AACS version xy of the disc
3. The program (f.e. MakeMKV) must construct the key to decrypted the disc content

As you see, the drive (revocation) and the disc (AACS support) and of cource the key for the disc itself are involved.
Looking at this exchange:
mike admin wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:09 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:32 am
B is. Mike added host certificate for v70 so without libredrive you can rip all discs up to and including v70.
MKBv72 is currently supported on 1.14.5 with latest key updates.
It sounds like I can put a disc with with AACS v70 into my non libredrive drive without fear of MakeMKV 1.14.4 being revoked. It also sounda like I can put AACS v72 discs into my drive without fear of MakeMKV being revoked as long as I am using MakeMKV 1.14.5 or 1.14.7. All I want is confirmation on this.
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

It also sounda like I can put AACS v72 discs into my drive without fear of MakeMKV being revoked as long as I am using MakeMKV 1.14.5 or 1.14.7. All I want is confirmation on this.
Negative Confirmation!

If you put an AACS v72 disc in your drive it will update the revocation table. If you do not have LibreDrive, MakeMKV will no longer work with that drive. Even old discs you may have ripped before will no longer work.

If you have LibreDrive, it ignores the revocation table and the latest MakeMKV with latest server downloads can rip up to AACS v72.
TheFatWookie

Post by TheFatWookie »

jinx100 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:33 pm
It also sounda like I can put AACS v72 discs into my drive without fear of MakeMKV being revoked as long as I am using MakeMKV 1.14.5 or 1.14.7. All I want is confirmation on this.
Negative Confirmation!

If you put an AACS v72 disc in your drive it will update the revocation table. If you do not have LibreDrive, MakeMKV will no longer work with that drive. Even old discs you may have ripped before will no longer work.

If you have LibreDrive, it ignores the revocation table and the latest MakeMKV with latest server downloads can rip up to AACS v72.
So I can use up to AACS v70 discs per the MakeMKV 1.14.4 release notes. What about this statement from MikeAdmin: "MKBv72 is currently supported on 1.14.5 with latest key updates." or is that referring to something different?
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

So I can use up to AACS v70 discs per the MakeMKV 1.14.4 release notes. What about this statement from MikeAdmin: "MKBv72 is currently supported on 1.14.5 with latest key updates." or is that referring to something different?
The latest version of MakeMKV can decode discs with MKBv72 (AACS v72) but cannot get past the revocation table without LibreDrive. You should take the time to read https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 19&t=18856
TheFatWookie

Post by TheFatWookie »

jinx100 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:30 pm
The latest version of MakeMKV can decode discs with MKBv72 (AACS v72) but cannot get past the revocation table without LibreDrive. You should take the time to read https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 19&t=18856
Thank you thank you. I had read the article on "What is LibreDrive" before but was not getting that the decoding and having a key to get past the revocation were two different things. This brought it home: "The latest version of MakeMKV can decode discs with MKBv72 (AACS v72) but cannot get past the revocation table without LibreDrive". I have noted that MakeMKV seems to get updated periodically so I will need to wait until I see a new release of MakeMKV with release notes: "Added support for AACS v72 (for those poor souls without LibreDrive).... or invest in a libredrive enabled drive as I have seen in the UHD sub forum.
TheFatWookie

Post by TheFatWookie »

Well. So after much discussion I discovered that the GoT S8 Blu-Ray discs (again NOT the 4K UHD but the 1080p discs) actually only have AACS v68 (at least in my country). I was able to rip them on my non-libredrive Drive just fine with MakeMKV 1.14.7. But thanks for the help/education in learning about libredrive and the whole AACS thing!
frankhedman

Post by frankhedman »

I have the Samsung BD-SE506, but I can't play any blu-ray discs on it, Samsung, or TSST (ToshibaSamsungStorageTechnology) that support that drive seems to have gone into liquidation.

There is alot of problems regarding this model, and alot of people is searching for a update, I might have a firmware file that could be able to modify, if someome could help out.

/Frank
Attachments
Samsung SE-506 AB and SE- 506BB and mounting program.rar
(2.66 MiB) Downloaded 730 times
frankhedman

Post by frankhedman »

Just to explain my latest post.

The firmware of SE506 combined with Win10 somehow makes it impossible to watch blu-ray movies on a PC, but it is possible to use the drive for CD and DVD.

So I was thinking that there might something in the firmware that could be modified.

If it's hard to modify, shouldn't someone have bought the old TSST manufacturing plant, and still be using firmware similar to TSST. I've read that someone thought that Liteon bought the plant.

If a firmware update on se506 could be made, there is alot of drives out there that could be updated and put to good use again.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

frankhedman wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:25 pm
I have the Samsung BD-SE506, but I can't play any blu-ray discs on it, Samsung, or TSST (ToshibaSamsungStorageTechnology) that support that drive seems to have gone into liquidation.

There is alot of problems regarding this model, and alot of people is searching for a update, I might have a firmware file that could be able to modify, if someome could help out.

/Frank
are you even using makemkv?
makemkv is not primarily used to watch movies but can be if you follow this guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... ibs#p70794
it has nothing to do with firmware you just don't have software to play blurays since your player probably came with player software if you just want to watch movies off the disk
it will be more user friendly then makemkvs libs
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
frankhedman

Post by frankhedman »

I have tried using makemkv, but I couldn’t get it to work with the samsung drive. I have tried using VLC with that method, but no luck so far.

I don’t use the computer for viewing movies, more for making backups.

I think that a updated firmware could make it possible to turn a useless drive (that is cheap in the used market) to a great drive. When I found the original firmware I thought it was worth a shot adding it to this forum that seems to have alot of experts.

Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:22 am
frankhedman wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:25 pm

/Frank
are you even using makemkv?
makemkv is not primarily used to watch movies but can be if you follow this guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... ibs#p70794
it has nothing to do with firmware you just don't have software to play blurays since your player probably came with player software if you just want to watch movies off the disk
it will be more user friendly then makemkvs libs