Samsung SE 506 info

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Billycar11

Re: Samsung SE 506 info

Post by Billycar11 »

frankhedman wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:05 pm
I have tried using makemkv, but I couldn’t get it to work with the samsung drive. I have tried using VLC with that method, but no luck so far.

I don’t use the computer for viewing movies, more for making backups.

I think that a updated firmware could make it possible to turn a useless drive (that is cheap in the used market) to a great drive. When I found the original firmware I thought it was worth a shot adding it to this forum that seems to have alot of experts.

I have the Samsung BD-SE506, but I can't play any blu-ray discs on it, Samsung, or TSST (ToshibaSamsungStorageTechnology) that support that drive seems to have gone into liquidation.

There is alot of problems regarding this model, and alot of people is searching for a update, I might have a firmware file that could be able to modify, if someome could help out.

/Frank
well you have another problem then that drive should read standard blu rays in makemkv no problem
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
frankhedman

Post by frankhedman »

I got the drive to work now.

Anyway, you got the original firmware, hopefully it can help to make a modified firmware version in the future.

/Frank
Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:40 am
frankhedman wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:05 pm
I have tried using makemkv, but I couldn’t get it to work with the samsung drive. I have tried using VLC with that method, but no luck so far.

I don’t use the computer for viewing movies, more for making backups.

I think that a updated firmware could make it possible to turn a useless drive (that is cheap in the used market) to a great drive. When I found the original firmware I thought it was worth a shot adding it to this forum that seems to have alot of experts.

I have the Samsung BD-SE506, but I can't play any blu-ray discs on it, Samsung, or TSST (ToshibaSamsungStorageTechnology) that support that drive seems to have gone into liquidation.

There is alot of problems regarding this model, and alot of people is searching for a update, I might have a firmware file that could be able to modify, if someome could help out.

/Frank
well you have another problem then that drive should read standard blu rays in makemkv no problem
bigman80

Post by bigman80 »

I have a Sumsung se-506AB drive, obviously no firmware update available. I have never had a problem using this drive in any way. It's always played blu rays on windows 10 which people seem to have had a problem with.

Is libredrive support ever going to be done for this drive is my question? When I bought the drive it said it was capable of using bd100 discs but clearly never got that to work.

I am not completely dumb but not as savvy as I may of once been, just putting it out there
freebird

Post by freebird »

frankhedman wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:12 am
I got the drive to work now.

Anyway, you got the original firmware, hopefully it can help to make a modified firmware version in the future.

/Frank
Would you mind sharing what you did to get the drive work? I have the exact problem like you did. Got a SE-506BB that worked in Win 7 perfectly for any bluray disc but after I upgraded to Win 10, it now doesn't recognize any bluray disc I put in. It only read DVDs and CDs.
frankhedman

Post by frankhedman »

After updating to win11 i had the same error once again, the drive only read CD/DVD and solved it from a hint in another forum.

A real Occam's Razor experience, I felt really stupid forgetting to check the most obvious problem...

Use a USB Y-power cable, I guess the drive needs more power when it's going to read a BD-disc.
DaveFlash

Post by DaveFlash »

bigman80 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:44 pm
(...)

When I bought the drive it said it was capable of using bd100 discs but clearly never got that to work.

(...)
yeah, the Samsungs in my experience, just like the LG's, have trouble with the layer breaks on 50GB or larger BD-R discs.
I wish I would've read about that earlier, as it costs me about 9 50GB BD DL discs that now have become expensive coasters.
At least the Samsungs have no trouble burning cd's, dvd's and single layer blu-rays, none of those have failed with me, with cd copies even getting an accurate rip themselves from the appropriate audio cd rippers out there that support AccurateRip, though with so called 'different offset'.

So, I really do hope the folks on here can figure out a patched firmware to be flashed to these, to make them more useful. maybe even cross-flashed?

In any case, I'll include my Samsung bd-drive's specs as reported by MakeMKV, below for you fine folks:

Code: Select all

Drive information
Manufacturer: TSSTcorp
Product: BDDVDW SE-506BB
Revision: TS00
Serialnumber: withheld
Bus encryptie flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 72

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1939
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 11.13
DVD all regions: Possible, not yet enabled
BD raw data read: Possible, not yet enabled
BD raw metadata read: Possible, not yet enabled
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled
kocoman

Post by kocoman »

why my drive missing Highest AACS version: XX line ?
also is there any patch? for newer fw etc??
thx
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

DaveFlash wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:59 pm
bigman80 wrote:
(...)

When I bought the drive it said it was capable of using bd100 discs but clearly never got that to work.

(...)
yeah, the Samsungs in my experience, just like the LG's, have trouble with the layer breaks on 50GB or larger BD-R discs.
I wish I would've read about that earlier, as it costs me about 9 50GB BD DL discs that now have become expensive coasters.
At least the Samsungs have no trouble burning cd's, dvd's and single layer blu-rays, none of those have failed with me, with cd copies even getting an accurate rip themselves from the appropriate audio cd rippers out there that support AccurateRip, though with so called 'different offset'.

So, I really do hope the folks on here can figure out a patched firmware to be flashed to these, to make them more useful. maybe even cross-flashed?

In any case, I'll include my Samsung bd-drive's specs as reported by MakeMKV, below for you fine folks:

Drive information

LibreDrive Information
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 11.13
DVD all regions: Possible, not yet enabled
BD raw data read: Possible, not yet enabled
BD raw metadata read: Possible, not yet enabled
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled
Not much point. It is too old for anything as the drive platform is MT1939.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

DaveFlash wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:59 pm
bigman80 wrote:
(...)

(...)

Drive information

LibreDrive Information