LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
drukhari

Re: LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Post by drukhari »

Woodstock wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 5:27 pm
Firmware date: 2023-08-01
Pretty much "planned by Pioneer to not be supported" unless the firmware can be overwritten. Anything with firmware dates after December 2022 is broken deliberately.
So, do I just return this drive or is there a way to force another firmware onto the drive?

(Sorry if this has all been discussed before, but there were no posts with this specific drive model that I could find on the forum.)
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Return it. No chance at the moment.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

drukhari wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 5:36 pm
Woodstock wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 5:27 pm
Firmware date: 2023-08-01
Pretty much "planned by Pioneer to not be supported" unless the firmware can be overwritten. Anything with firmware dates after December 2022 is broken deliberately.
So, do I just return this drive or is there a way to force another firmware onto the drive?

(Sorry if this has all been discussed before, but there were no posts with this specific drive model that I could find on the forum.)
Pioneer firmware update February 2023

The short answer is return that drive and buy one with the old firmware from a seller in your region.

The slightly longer answer is after MakeMKV added support for Pioneer drives, Pioneer released a firmware update for pretty much every one of their drives that disabled MakeMKV support. The author of MakeMKV has stated that work is being done to try to overcome the barriers Pioneer put in place, but there's no time line for when, or even if, this will be accomplished.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I cannot say; I'm not one of the professionals that are working on the drive side-grades. At this point, I have not seen anyone openly claim to be able to overwrite Pioneer's firmware. It is possible that someone has, but is being quiet about it.

I can say that Pioneer didn't seem to care about the fact that MakeMKV could read UHD disks for, um, about a year (maybe two) after it became public. Then, they clamped down. This was about the same time that reading UHD disks started to be removed from the officially-supported software. That may be a coincidence.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

This is two-folded. Pioneer wanted to be clean that any circumvention of copy protection with their drives is impossible. The second aspect is another. Many Pioneer drives can be upgraded to be UHD capable if they have old firmware. It's their business model to sell pretty much the same drives with another UHD compatible firmware for a much higer price. And they wanted to stop this when the firmware flasher appeared that allowed this.
drukhari

Post by drukhari »

Thank you all for the advice. I shall return the drive. That being said, I've looked at the compatible UHD drives thread(s) and can't seem to find one that matches my requirements. The reason I found this Pioneer drive was to handle triple layer (BD100) disks but is also an externally powered USB drive.

Am I just not looking at the right forum posts? Feel free to DM me to keep this thread on topic.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Read your PM.
Quinsster

Post by Quinsster »

Hey! im pretty new here, I Bought a second Asus Bw-161DX-U and im wondering if this is also a S12U or BDR-209MBK 4k-UHD friendly?
I recieved a flashkit for my previous (thanks @coopervid) and im unsure if i can use the same kit and files for this new device?
I legit tried do the textbook stuff googling around in order to not breach the warranty on beforehand but im still thrilled how some just can tell what it is out from the specs.

Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1X-U
Revision: E113
Serial number: CIDLxxxxxxx
Firmware date: 2020-07-21
Bus encryption flags: 1B

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: Pioneer RS8F00
Firmware version: ID76
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Quinsster wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 10:54 am
Hey! im pretty new here, I Bought a second Asus Bw-161DX-U and im wondering if this is also a S12U or BDR-209MBK 4k-UHD friendly?
I recieved a flashkit for my previous (thanks @coopervid) and im unsure if i can use the same kit and files for this new device?
I legit tried do the textbook stuff googling around in order to not breach the warranty on beforehand but im still thrilled how some just can tell what it is out from the specs.

Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1X-U
Revision: E113
Serial number: CIDLxxxxxxx

LibreDrive Information
Firmware version: ID76
It's also a 212 and you need to use the flashkit also on this to make it UHD compatible.
cybertrancer

Post by cybertrancer »

Hello!

I would like to ask if the Pioneer BDR-S12XLT drive with original firmware 1.01 can be used with MakeMKV in LibreDrive mode, to rip UHD Blurays?
I have bought the "Dune" 2021 movie which includes both UHD and HD discs. I would like to make a backup of the discs. The UHD disc when inserted is apparently unreadable via MakeMKV.

The debug info from the debug file reads as follows:

WinCdArb=v1.2.0_tiny win(x64-release)
002004:0000 Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID COMMAND OPERATION CODE' occurred while issuing SCSI command 46020..00140 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom1'
001003:0020 DEBUG: Code 0 at :_D~hKrDX!l7kzzP:121271778
DEBUG: Code 3 at wsuH-I{pjx"D{a*<>oxG0$',:29395310
SDF v098: PIONEER_BD-RW___BDR-S12_1.01_"serial removed"
002004:0000 Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID COMMAND OPERATION CODE' occurred while issuing SCSI command 46020..00140 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom1'
001003:0020 DEBUG: Code 0 at :_D~hKrDX!l7kzzP:121271778

Here the drive info as seen on MakeMKV:

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-S12
Revision: 1.01
Serial number: "removed"
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: RS8F00
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-212T
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.01/ID45
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

No disc inserted

I request your support on this issue.
Best regards.
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

You have to crossflash it to S12UHT in order to rip UHD discs.
cybertrancer

Post by cybertrancer »

Hello!

I have searched for a flasher for the Pioneer drives but can't find it here on the forum. I did find flasher and bin files for another drive i have (a LG drive) which now works fine.
I wonder if someone can instruct me where to find a flasher for my Pioneer drive.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

cybertrancer wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:38 am
Hello!

I have searched for a flasher for the Pioneer drives but can't find it here on the forum. I did find flasher and bin files for another drive i have (a LG drive) which now works fine.
I wonder if someone can instruct me where to find a flasher for my Pioneer drive.
email me for the flasher
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
cybertrancer

Post by cybertrancer »

Hello Billycar11.
I have sent you an email.
Thanks for your support.
jkboyo

Post by jkboyo »

This is the information for the previous post out of MKV(hit enter too early) :')
Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-212V
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: DADL025006WL
Firmware date: 2022-05-31
Bus encryption flags: 13
Highest AACS version: 47

LibreDrive Information
Firmware version: ID06