LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
TeddyRaspin

Re: LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Post by TeddyRaspin »

Here me back. Drive BDR-S12UHT properly mounted and with native 1.01 firmware.

The strange thing is that after a reboot Windows doesn't see drive anymore. I've to turn my PC off
and restart again (I'm investigating this issue).

Furthermore I can't rip at any speed higher than 4x and MakeMKV doesn't add any Pioneer entry
inside regedit (instead of LG drives).

I've also tried to use the "Performance Mode" from Pioneer Utility but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Any help would be really appreciated.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Chris Kelly wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:58 pm
This is awesome news, and it looks like it's only six days old! Isn't the latest version of MakeMKV from 2021?
This is one of the design goals of LibreDrive - separate (frequently changing) drive logic from a (rarely changing) library runtime. And the target goal - a fully open-source library runtime that doesn't change in ages...
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

TeddyRaspin wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:18 pm
Here me back. Drive BDR-S12UHT properly mounted and with native 1.01 firmware.

The strange thing is that after a reboot Windows doesn't see drive anymore. I've to turn my PC off

Furthermore I can't rip at any speed higher than 4x and MakeMKV doesn't add any Pioneer entry
inside regedit (instead of LG drives).

I've also tried to use the "Performance Mode" from Pioneer Utility but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Not to burst your bubble but 4x is the max speed on UHD for pioneer drives even in performance mode
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

TeddyRaspin wrote:
There are several reports that LibreDrive mode manifests insufficient USB power issue - drive disconnects after LibreDrive handshake but works fine with LibreDrive disabled. Almost in all cases it was confirmed (with Pioneer utility) that insufficient USB power was the case, but still it happened only with LibreDrive.

The latest SDF v84 has changes for this, it forces low-power mode and adds some timeouts for capacitors to charge back, please try it and post if this changes anything.
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

Thanks as always my dear friend,

I already have sdf v84 inside my APPDATA dir (inside _private_data.tar file). I've rolled back to a previous bios version on my motherboard
as I was using latest beta (with new AGESA which could have some issues) and bdr-s12uht is working fine now and it is connected via sata
cable inside PC. I'm not using any USB enclosure.

Regarding UHD ripping speed, this drive reads any UHD disc I have instantly, light years better than any LG drive I ever had, but I've seen
on Pioneer specs site 4x is the maximum read speed for UHD 4K TL discs.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

TeddyRaspin wrote:
MakeMKV doesn't add any Pioneer entry inside regedit (instead of LG drives).
You can add it manually - lower-case "speed" + underscore + drive id from sdftool or MakeMKV log file.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

mike admin wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:20 pm
Chris Kelly wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:58 pm
This is awesome news, and it looks like it's only six days old! Isn't the latest version of MakeMKV from 2021?
This is one of the design goals of LibreDrive - separate (frequently changing) drive logic from a (rarely changing) library runtime. And the target goal - a fully open-source library runtime that doesn't change in ages...
A Libredrive runtime sounds great! Any idea Mike regarding timing since all the Pioneer firmwares should be soon supported - so I hope?
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

mike admin wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:57 pm
You can add it manually - lower-case "speed" + underscore + drive id from sdftool or MakeMKV log file.
Already done but, of course, I can't rip higher than 4x speed. :wink:

Anyway, it's a great thing the Pioneer libredrive support. Thanks for your hard work. :D
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

TeddyRaspin wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:17 pm

Anyway, it's a great thing the Pioneer libredrive support. Thanks for your hard work. :D
You're looking at it all wrong. :) The Pio takes its time reading troublesome discs with extreme accuracy, that's all. :D
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:31 pm
TeddyRaspin wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:17 pm

You're looking at it all wrong. :) The Pio takes its time reading troublesome discs with extreme accuracy, that's all. :D
And you have a fantastic burner for 50GB discs. The LGs all have issues at the layer break. 50GB discs burnt with LGs are all troublesome and video will must likely stutter at the layer break. Even worse if you want to store important data files that can't be read back.
But watch out: You should also burn these at the lowest speed (2x) with your Pioneer drive.
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

When I'll find also a BDR-212UBK at the same price of S12-UHT (which I think they are the same device),
I'll be very happy to change the other LG drive too.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the precious gift mike give us with Libredrive support also for Pioneer UHD drives. :wink:
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

TeddyRaspin wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:42 pm
When I'll find also a BDR-212UBK at the same price of S12-UHT (which I think they are the same device),

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the precious gift mike give us with Libredrive support also for Pioneer UHD drives. :wink:
I searched. No chance....
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

TeddyRaspin wrote:

I just grabbed one here in the states but it was not cheap by any means.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:30 pm
TeddyRaspin wrote:

I just grabbed one here in the states but it was not cheap by any means.
Yeah the S12 seam to be more affordable than the 212 UHD types.
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

Coopervid wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:16 pm
Yeah the S12 seam to be more affordable than the 212 UHD types.
And I can't understand why as 212UBK reads 4K discs at the same speed of S12UHT
as well as it shares same specs.