Recommendation for best (most reliable and versatile) LibreDrive for 2024?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
baller

Re: Recommendation for best (most reliable and versatile) LibreDrive for 2024?

Post by baller »

Coopervid wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 8:58 am
baller wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 8:31 pm
Hi, I'm in the US. Can I get a PM for a recommendation for an external bluray drive, possibly USB3.0? I don't need UHD unless the price difference is negligible. Is there one from Amazon that is either ready to go out the box or easy to flash? Thanks in advance.
PM sent.
Hey, couldn't PM back but which one from that brand? The 43888 one? Cuz that one is hard to find for me in the US.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

The 43888 is not available in the US. Check your PM.
baller

Post by baller »

Coopervid wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 12:47 pm
I just ordered the 43890 which as I understand it should be technically the same as the 43888 except will not support UHD right out of the box? Will it work fine with BD50 out of the box? Anyways I should find out for myself tomorrow but feel free to PM info about any flashing required. Thanks for your help, coopervid!
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

baller wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 3:27 pm
Coopervid wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 12:47 pm
I just ordered the 43890 which as I understand it should be technically the same as the 43888 except will not support UHD right out of the box? Will it work fine with BD50 out of the box? Anyways I should find out for myself tomorrow but feel free to PM info about any flashing required. Thanks for your help, coopervid!
BD50 will work. Regarding the rest check your PM.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Ambishooter wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 8:48 pm
Hey @Coopervid.
You seem to know a lot of LibreDrive Compatible drives.
Can you PM me some Models?
Im living in Germany and I am trying to rip my 4k BluRay collection.

I don't really Care about the size of the Drive.
USB would be preffered tho.

Thanks in advance!
Just a warning: Your PM will expire in a week and will be deleted if not read. I hate slow people who initiate stuff and then just disappear.
wibbl3

Post by wibbl3 »

UK, what am I best off getting?

I read some posts about Verbatim drives being unreliable but they were from a drive seller/hoarder, so... :wink:

Thanks
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

wibbl3 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:29 pm
UK, what am I best off getting?

I read some posts about Verbatim drives being unreliable but they were from a drive seller/hoarder, so... :wink:

Thanks
The assumption is that he received a bad batch since he also sells that drive again. Look for the Verbatim that says 43888 in the description in Amazon. It will play UHDs right out-of-the-box. Beware: It's very power hungry and might not work with all USB3 ports. You might need a powered USB hub. And yes, the enclosure electronics is not the best and I have read that some failed while the internal drive was still OK.
wibbl3

Post by wibbl3 »

Coopervid wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:59 am
The assumption is that he received a bad batch since he also sells that drive again. Look for the Verbatim that says 43888 in the description in Amazon. It will play UHDs right out-of-the-box. Beware: It's very power hungry and might not work with all USB3 ports. You might need a powered USB hub. And yes, the enclosure electronics is not the best and I have read that some failed while the internal drive was still OK.
Thank you. I can also get ahold of the BDR-212V for around the same cost. A better choice? I already have have usb converters that work with other optical drives.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

wibbl3 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:14 am
Coopervid wrote:
Thank you. I can also get ahold of the BDR-212V for around the same cost. A better choice? I already have have usb converters that work with other optical drives.
This drive is very reliable. Get it and post again when you have it. You will being helped with it.
redboyle

Post by redboyle »

Coopervid wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:11 pm
wibbl3 wrote:
Coopervid wrote:
This drive is very reliable. Get it and post again when you have it. You will being helped with it.
I ordered the Amazon fr vantec enclore for the drive. And just now I checked again and the picture shows it's like US plug. So I'm mailing the seller to ask if it's EU plug. Was sad that I didn't see it sooner. Because I just bought the one that showed recommended under the drive and thought I would be ok. Now I'm worried.
abrooks98

Post by abrooks98 »

Hello! I am in the US and looking for a recommendation on a second internal drive. I have a WH16NS60 which works okay, but is prone to SCSI errors. UHD support would be nice, but isn't a deal-breaker. Thanks!
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

redboyle wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:47 pm
Coopervid wrote:
wibbl3 wrote:

I ordered the Amazon fr vantec enclore for the drive. And just now I checked again and the picture shows it's like US plug. So I'm mailing the seller to ask if it's EU plug. Was sad that I didn't see it sooner. Because I just bought the one that showed recommended under the drive and thought I would be ok. Now I'm worried.
It's very easy to change the connector if it would be the wrong one. Just a few Euros and connecting two or three wires.
LordByron_

Post by LordByron_ »

Hey, I live in Germany and if anyone has some time, would love to get a recommendation for a usb drive and a 5,25" one. Thank you in advance :D
redboyle

Post by redboyle »

Coopervid wrote:
It's very easy to change the connector if it would be the wrong one. Just a few Euros and connecting two or three wires.
The seller confirmed that the plug is US. I don't know what to buy before the enclosure arrives.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

LordByron_ wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:09 pm
Hey, I live in Germany and if anyone has some time, would love to get a recommendation for a usb drive and a 5,25" one. Thank you in advance :D
Read your PM.