Pioneer firmware update February 2023

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Chris Kelly

Re: Pioneer firmware update February 2023

#211 Post by Chris Kelly » Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:16 am

I just upgraded my BDR-212UBK from 1.02 to 1.05. It's no longer a libreDrive. I wish I discovered this thread before I did this. I do believe in firmware updates for the sake of bug fixes, read/write issues with certain discs, etc.. At least with LG, MK firmware is released not long after the official firmware. If you have a Pioneer drive that's a LibreDrive in MakeMKV, don't update it to anything starting from the end of 2022 unless a miracle happens, and if it does, find out the next threshold date before you lose LibreDrive in MakeMKV again.

dizzy

#212 Post by dizzy » Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:12 am

Sorry if this is a stupid question: I just got a new Pioneer drive off Amazon:

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-213M
Revision: 1.05
Serial number: ...
Firmware date: 2023-08-01
Bus encryption flags: 1B
Highest AACS version: 78

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: Pioneer RS9200
Firmware version: ID56
Now, I have 0 interest in UHD/4k (I don't own any 4k discs and have no plans to ever buy one) but I do care about everything else LibreDrive offers (disabling forced revoked host certificate lists, no region locking, etc). Does that mean that I should return the drive and get one from Billy?

Also, I just successfully ripped a BluRay using this new Pioneer drive (the same disc was returning errors in my older LG WH14NS40 1.02 drive that has full LibreDrive support) and it said it opened the drive in "direct disc mode" which (after some Googling) seems to be the same as LibreDrive, so I'm very confused as to if I need a special firmware or not to get those LibreDrive features (again, don't care about 4k).

Thanks!

Billycar11

#213 Post by Billycar11 » Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:29 am

dizzy wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:12 am
Sorry if this is a stupid question: I just got a new Pioneer drive off Amazon:

Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Product: BD-RW BDR-213M
Revision: 1.05
Serial number: ...
Firmware date: 2023-08-01
Highest AACS version: 78

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: Pioneer RS9200
Firmware version: ID56
Now, I have 0 interest in UHD/4k (I don't own any 4k discs and have no plans to ever buy one) but I do care about everything else LibreDrive offers (disabling forced revoked host certificate lists, no region locking, etc). Does that mean that I should return the drive and get one from Billy?

Also, I just successfully ripped a BluRay using this new Pioneer drive (the same disc was returning errors in my older LG WH14NS40 1.02 drive that has full LibreDrive support) and it said it opened the drive in "direct disc mode" which (after some Googling) seems to be the same as LibreDrive, so I'm very confused as to if I need a special firmware or not to get those LibreDrive features (again, don't care about 4k).

Thanks!
direct disc mode is not the same as libredrive + that only libredrive can get around buss encryption and revoked host certificates.
but for the most part its only needed for 4K most times makemkv will be updated so support new aacs versions.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com

dcoke22

#214 Post by dcoke22 » Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:15 pm

dizzy wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:12 am

Thanks!
MakeMKV works pretty well for DVDs and regular blu-rays with almost any blu-ray capable drive. If you want to rip 4K UHDs, then you must get a drive that supports LibreDrive. Since you don't care about 4K, then you don't need it.

However, there are certain edge cases where not having LibreDrive might cause you some difficulty. Billycar11 mentioned AACS versions. AACS is occasionally updated to a newer version. LibreDrive capable drives can rip blu-rays with the newest AACS even if MakeMKV does not yet have explicit support for it. Without LibreDrive, you might have to wait until a new version of MakeMKV is released with explicit support for that version of AACS before you can rip a new disc.

In my view, using a drive without LibreDrive support is fine, especially if you're using an existing drive you already have. If you're going to buy a new drive, it makes the most sense to get one that can support LibreDrive, even if you don't want to rip 4K discs. Pioneer drives are generally more reliable than other brands of drives. Pioneer's firmware situation means buying a drive from a seller in your region. Unless you have a strong aversion to it (or got a great deal on your current drive), I'd return the drive you bought and buy a LibreDrive capable drive from a seller. Your new-drive-money might as well buy you freedom from rare edge cases as well.

dizzy

#215 Post by dizzy » Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:43 pm

Thanks, that clears out some things.
Unless you have a strong aversion to it (or got a great deal on your current drive), I'd return the drive you bought and buy a LibreDrive capable drive from a seller. Your new-drive-money might as well buy you freedom from rare edge cases as well.
I guess it comes down to $$$. I paid $120 for the drive (which according to camelcamelcamel seems to be the only price it's been at, from the "Pioneer Store"). That's more than double vs getting an LG WH14NS40 (that also happens to be Libre Drive compatible). If the Pioneer doesn't last at least twice the time the LG would last then I just wasted some money.

Now Billy's version would be ~$100 more, almost double than the Pioneer base price. Just to be clear, the pricing for what's on offer is probably fine, I just have a bit of conundrum from where I'm sitting at because I don't need UHD. Following the same logic if this drive doesn't last 4 times more than the LG drive then I'd be really wasting money :)

Billycar11

#216 Post by Billycar11 » Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:09 am

dizzy wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:43 pm
Thanks, that clears out some things.
Unless you have a strong aversion to it (or got a great deal on your current drive), I'd return the drive you bought and buy a LibreDrive capable drive from a seller. Your new-drive-money might as well buy you freedom from rare edge cases as well.
I guess it comes down to $$$. I paid $120 for the drive (which according to camelcamelcamel seems to be the only price it's been at, from the "Pioneer Store"). That's more than double vs getting an LG WH14NS40 (that also happens to be Libre Drive compatible). If the Pioneer doesn't last at least twice the time the LG would last then I just wasted some money.

Now Billy's version would be ~$100 more, almost double than the Pioneer base price. Just to be clear, the pricing for what's on offer is probably fine, I just have a bit of conundrum from where I'm sitting at because I don't need UHD. Following the same logic if this drive doesn't last 4 times more than the LG drive then I'd be really wasting money :)
i have had lg/asus drives last 0 days so yes pioneers last more than 4 days worth it ! lol
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com

BaiDuYunPan

#217 Post by BaiDuYunPan » Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:28 pm

Hello guys, can anyone tell me how to apply the patch or how to make him able to rip UHD?
Thank you

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Product: BD-RW BDR-S13JX
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: CADL000339CN
Firmware date: 2022-07-26
Highest AACS version: 81

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: RS9201
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-213T
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.03/ID72
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

No disc inserted

InfinityX

#218 Post by InfinityX » Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:35 pm

BaiDuYunPan wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:28 pm
Hello guys, can anyone tell me how to apply the patch or how to make him able to rip UHD?
Thank you

Drive Information

LibreDrive Information

No disc inserted
you have a UHD ready unit version 1.03 is the latest version supported by libedrive, what error do you get?

BaiDuYunPan

#219 Post by BaiDuYunPan » Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:19 am

InfinityX wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:35 pm
BaiDuYunPan wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:28 pm
Thank you

Drive Information

LibreDrive Information

No disc inserted
you have a UHD ready unit version 1.03 is the latest version supported by libedrive, what error do you get?
It shows that it cannot be decrypted, thank you.

Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive
Downloading latest HK to C:\Users\百度云盘/.MakeMKV ...
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\百度云盘/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v77_The_wandering_earth_E3F2.tgz
LibreDrive compatible drive is required to open this disc - video can't be decrypted.
Backup failed