Asus BW-16D1X-U

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
RedLine

Re: Asus BW-16D1X-U

Post by RedLine »

First and foremost,
I want to thank everyone that helped me. The amount of information in these forums and the quick responses to my questions was incredible!

TL:DR: I purchased an ASUS BW-16D1X-U from Amazon, used the GUI "SDFtool Flasher" to backup my current firmware and flashed to "DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.10_MK". The drive is now able to read UHD 4K disks!

My Pioneer BDR-XD07UHD drive was having read issues on a few discs. One suggestion was to flash to the latest firmware version. It didn't even cross my mind to check the MakeMKV forums, so after the flash, it no longer supports MakeMKV and UHD discs. With some help from a few forum users and all the great posts (like this one), I purchased an ASUS BW-16D1X-U from Amazon. I used the GUI "SDFtool Flasher (v1.3.5)" to backup my current firmware and flashed the drive to "DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.10_MK".

For testing, I used Monster Hunters (2020) 4K Ultra HD + BLU-RAY + Digital discs. Before flashing the drive, I verified the UHD 4K disc could not be read. I ripped the Blu-Ray disc and it took just under 18 minutes. I flashed the drive and verified the 4K UHD disc could be read. I then ripped the Blu-Ray disc a second time. The rip time remained roughly the same - just under 18 minutes. I ripped the 4K UHD disc without any issues.

UPDATE | EDIT
Per Coopervid's answer to one of my questions, I flashed the drive with the "HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.03-NM00600-212005081010.bin" firmware. The drive was able to read the Monster Hunter 4K / UHD disc. I ripped the Monster Hunters Blu-Ray disc a third time and the rip completed 1 minute faster.

SDFtool Flasher (v1.3.5)
MT1956 Platform (flagged - green checkmark)
Encrypted Firmware (flagged - green checkmark)

Pre-Flash Drive Information
Drive Information
OS device name: I:
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1X-U
Revision: A105
Serial number: xxxxxxxxxx
Firmware date: 2120-12-02 11:14
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959

Post Flash Drive Information
Drive Information
OS device name: I:
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.10
Serial number: xxxxxxxxxx
Firmware date: 2119-01-04 10:14
Bus encryption flags: 1F

LibreDrive Information
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Update| Edit
Drive Information After 1.03 Flash
Drive Information
OS device name: G:
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS60
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: xxxxxxxx
Firmware date: 2120-05-08 10:10
Bus encryption flags: 17

LibreDrive Information
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.03
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

I do have two questions.
  • In this post, someone mentioned the following. After flashing this drive, it can no longer write discs. Is that correct?
  • In this post, people used two different firmware to flash this drive. "DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.10_MK" which comes in the Marty's firmware pack and "HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin" or the 1.03 version that you download from GetHub. Which is best or does it even matter?
Again, thanks everyone!!!!
Last edited by RedLine on Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

1) AFAIK this doesn't affect burning but you should burn with you Pioneer anyway as this is the better burner (even it doesn't read UHDs anymore after you f..ed it up).

2) The official firmware from WH16NS60 doesn't have the sleep bug and it reads 3-layer discs better than the friendly ASUS firmware.
RedLine

Post by RedLine »

Coopervid wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:41 pm
1) AFAIK this doesn't affect burning but you should burn with you Pioneer anyway as this is the better burner (even it doesn't read UHDs anymore after you f..ed it up).

2) The official firmware from WH16NS60 doesn't have the sleep bug and it reads 3-layer discs better than the friendly ASUS firmware.
Coopervid,

Thanks for the information!!!
amateurhour999

Post by amateurhour999 »

Hi clever people, I don't know if anyone will even see this, and please be even gentler with me, I am a painfully novice. I seek your kind assistance please.

I have the exact same Asus 16D1X-U external drive
I want to be able to rip blu ray discs
I've downloaded MKV, I've downloaded the SDF flasher and the 'All you need...' firmware pack
I also read somewhere I need Java runtime environment, so I downloaded that too
In the SDF flasher, when I try to select the firmware from my recent downloads it is not visible
I then saved the individual firmware packs as separate notepad documents to my desktop
This made them visible on SDF
But none of them do anything when I run them, all have same same error: "Command produce error code 0xfffffffff"

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

amateurhour999 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:20 pm
Hi clever people, I don't know if anyone will even see this, and please be even gentler with me, I am a painfully novice. I seek your kind assistance please.

I have the exact same Asus 16D1X-U external drive
I want to be able to rip blu ray discs
I've downloaded MKV, I've downloaded the SDF flasher and the 'All you need...' firmware pack
I also read somewhere I need Java runtime environment, so I downloaded that too
In the SDF flasher, when I try to select the firmware from my recent downloads it is not visible
I then saved the individual firmware packs as separate notepad documents to my desktop
This made them visible on SDF
But none of them do anything when I run them, all have same same error: "Command produce error code 0xfffffffff"

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Post your Makemkv information for your drive. It can be a LG type or a Pioneer type. We have to see to help you.
amateurhour999

Post by amateurhour999 »

Thank you for responding!
amateurhour999

Post by amateurhour999 »

I sent the specs on the first message but the board wont let me attach a screenshot so here goes:

Drive information
OS device name: G:
current profile: DVD rom
Product BW-16D1X-U
Revision: E113
Serial number: CHDL....
Firmware update: 2020-07-21
Bus encryption: 1B

Libre drive info
Drive platform: Pioneer RS8F00
Firmware version: ID76