LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
dcoke22

Re: LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Post by dcoke22 »

Edwood wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:05 pm
Is this drive ever going to be capable of ripping 4K UHD?
Hopefully. MakeMKV's author, Mike, is working on supporting newer versions of Pioneer firmware. He's given no timeline for when this will be available other than to say he's working on it.
sacdman

Post by sacdman »

Hi...
I have the Pioneer BDR-S13UBK and thoughtlessly updated the firmware to 1.05. I was having issues with Windows explorer and reading discs and thought it was the drive. Pretty smart, huh? Is there a way to crossflash this drive while we wait for Mike to develop another firmware to enable the LibreDrive option? Man, I feel stupid, but I really thought this drive would play 4K UHD discs still, even though I updated it.

There is something else, though. I use the aacs and bdplus folders to decrypt bluray and UHD discs. When I put in a UHD disc now, the menu starts to play and then stops, stating "Blu-ray error: This disc seems to be encrypted" in VLC. But, when I put in a standard blu-ray it plays fine. same as in MPC-HC. But if I try to play a UHD bluray, there is no way it can play it. Is this due to the firmware update to 1.05 and why would Pioneer remove this function now? Why did they include it in the drive in the first place if they were only going to remove it later. I know I was upset when I figured this out.

Please let me know if there is an option to update this now with a crossflash. Thanks.
sacdman

Post by sacdman »

You, know I have 2 UHD friendly drives in PC? I forgot that my other Asus drive plays UHD discs just fine! Now, all I got to do is wait for the update for the Pioneer one, but I can play UHD discs in the other one. Wow, my memory sucks as I get older! :D
azkey

Post by azkey »

Hey there

I got myself a second Pioneer BRD-XS07B-UHD drive from Japan. It has FW 1.00, but makemkv does not work with it . . . "Possible, not yet enabled". Did anybody (who has a drive from Japan) manage to make it work, or upgrade the FW to 1.01 or 1.02?

Code: Select all

Drive Information
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-XS07U
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: TEDLxxxxxxJP
Firmware date: 2019-01-07
Bus encryption flags: 1B
Highest AACS version: 77

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: Pioneer RS8E21
Firmware version: ID69

Debug log started at Tue Dec 26 10:55:19 2023 , written by MakeMKV v1.17.5 darwin(arm64-release)
001005:0000 MakeMKV v1.17.5 darwin(arm64-release) started
001004:0000 Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as file:///xxxxxx/MakeMKV_log.txt
Using 262272KB for read cache.
Network access is ENABLED, CURL version 8.1.2/(SecureTransport) LibreSSL/3.3.6/1.55.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin23.0) , proxy server not set.
002010:0000 Optical drive "BD-RE PIONEER BD-RW  BDR-XS07U 1.00 TEDLxxxxxxJPd" opened in OS access mode.
No  SDF v098: PIONEER_BD-RW__BDR-XS07U_1.00_TEDLxxxxxxJP
SDF id v098: PIONEER_BD-RW__BDR-XS07U_1.00_TEDLxxxxxxJP

Drive dump file dump_FW_7BF4818ACE8CA66F7A9E.tgz sent in a while ago.

I got my other Pioneer BD-RW BDR-XS07U drive from Germany some time ago with FW 1.01 and it is working perfectly fine. Any chance or tools out there to dump the FW from that drive and flash it to the new one?
The 1.01 and 1.02 (and the 1.03 bricker) firmwares from the Pioneer website seem to be EU versions ID05 and Japanese drive seems to need ID69, so the drive can't be flashed with the official updater.

Any info/help would be nice.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

PM sent.
ttnicky

Post by ttnicky »

I have this Pioneer 209M that has LibreDrive enabled but will not recognize UHD disks. Is it possible to enable UHD with this drive?

Drive Information
OS device name: Q:
Product: BD-RW BDR-209M
Revision: 1.34
Serial number: MJDL001638WL
Firmware date: 2016-04-25
Bus encryption flags: 13
Highest AACS version: 81

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: RS8600
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-209
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.34/ID60
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

PM sent
Vindictor

Post by Vindictor »

Hi there,
I wonder if I may also be able to get my drives to rip my 4K blurays?

I have a pretty old (well used) PIONEER BD-RWBDR-209M 1.33

I recently upgraded my workstation, and ended up with a case with no optical drive bay, so I've put it in a USB enclosure for now, seems to work fine.

Anyway, as you can see above, the firmware also hasn't been updated in years.... looks like I stopped after v1.33.
At the time I was burning a lot of Verbatim 50gb disks. This drive never gave me a coaster!
I still use it a lot, have been ripping my old TV DVD collection, and more recently working through bluray TV sets to copy onto a larger NAS. I also still buy a lot of CDs, and use this drive to rip with EAC. (I've been using AnyDVD to rip DVD and bluray up until this point, since before it even supported bluray)

My 4K collection is growing, so having the option to rip it would be fantastic. Googling around, I found this thread, so thought I'd make an account and ask. I've found this drive to be ultra reliable, even for disks that other drives may struggle to read (scratches, etc) but I'm sure applying a custom firmware wouldn't cause any issues with this?

In my old HTPC/file server I also have a Pioneer optical drive. Newer than my 209, but barely used, to be honest. I'll boot that machine up to check what it is.... OK, it appears to be a

Pioneer BD-RW BDR-211M and appears to have firmware 1.02

From Device Manager
SCSI\CdRomPIONEER_BD-RW___BDR-211M1.02

and from Device Manager of the machine with the 209M, connected via USB
USBSTOR\CdRomPIONEER_BD-RW___BDR-209M1.33

Are either (or better still, both) of these drives suitable for a firmware update which would see them capable of reading / ripping 4K blurays?

With thanks for the help,
Kind regards,
Vin.
Vindictor

Post by Vindictor »

Sorry, I should've posted info from MakeMKV in my previous post.

The system with the 209M is currently busy ripping a disk, but I've just installed the MakeMKV trial on my other system, with the BDR-211M, and this is the info I get. Hopefully I'll get lucky!

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Product: BD-RW BDR-211M
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: ****
Firmware date: 2017-02-23

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: RS8800
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-211
Firmware version: 1.02/ID60
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Vindictor wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:09 pm
Sorry, I should've posted info from MakeMKV in my previous post.

The system with the 209M is currently busy ripping a disk, but I've just installed the MakeMKV trial on my other system, with the BDR-211M, and this is the info I get. Hopefully I'll get lucky!

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Product: BD-RW BDR-211M
Revision: 1.02
Firmware date: 2017-02-23

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: RS8800
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-211
Firmware version: 1.02/ID60
Email me that info for both I have an automated flasher for them
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Vindictor

Post by Vindictor »

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:12 pm
Email me that info for both I have an automated flasher for them
Thanks, I'm just composing an email while I wait for the machine with the 209M to finish ripping a bluray.
I popped my Trading Places 4K bluray into the machine with the BDR-211M and I'm a little surprised that it just appears to have worked?
It seems to have taken a few secs to download something, and decrypt the AACS, and it looks as though I can now rip the disk.
While that page of text has now disappeared, it said something along the lines of max AACS v77, and the AACS of the disk is v77

I've just tried the same Trading Places disk in my BDE-209M and after spinning for a while, it's failed to do anything.
So maybe I got lucky with the BDR-211M drive. It DOES have an UltraHD logo on the front of it, but back when I first got it, I hadn't yet realised that the older CPU/chipset of my old HTPC wouldn't allow me to watch UHD disks on it.
Maybe now, years later, the drive will finally find a purpose.

I just wanted to mention that, in case anyone else comes across this who has a BDR-211M. Mine appears to work with standard firmware, unlike the 209M.
Vindictor

Post by Vindictor »

Well, it seems my BDR-209M v1.33 is not able to read UHD disks..... at least with this old firmware. I wonder if a slightly newer firmware would help? Would this help it to support a higher AACS version (my other drive seems to be AACS 78) which would allow it to read UHD disks, or is this irrelevant to MakeMKV? The latest official firmware I found for the BDR-209M appears to be v1.51 from August 2018, as found here. https://www.firmwarehq.com/Pioneer/BDR-209M/files.html
I wouldn't put a much newer one on there anyway, in case they lock out UHD ripping.

Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Revision: 1.33
Firmware date: 2015-12-09
Highest AACS version: 12

LibreDrive Information
Firmware version: 1.33/ID60

However, my barely used BDR-211M v1.02 (info posted above) did appear to be able to recognise my Trading Places UHD that I used as a test.

I've sent an email to Billycar11, as requested.
Thanks for any assistance, and also for this forum, and of course for MakeMKV.
Vindictor

Post by Vindictor »

ttnicky wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:16 pm
I have this Pioneer 209M that has LibreDrive enabled but will not recognize UHD disks. Is it possible to enable UHD with this drive?

Drive Information
OS device name: Q:
Revision: 1.34
Serial number: MJDL001638WL
Firmware date: 2016-04-25
Highest AACS version: 81

LibreDrive Information
Firmware version: 1.34/ID60
Did you have any luck with this?
Mine has a slightly older firmware than yours, with v1.33, and shows Highest AACS version:12
It would be immensely convenient to get this drive running with UHD disks.
Fingers crossed for some progress :)
Vin
ttnicky

Post by ttnicky »

Sent you a PM
merc_for_god

Post by merc_for_god »

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a drive and am looking for some assistance. The drive has the following firmware details. Could anyone provide the correct firmware and flash tool to make it compatible with MakeMKV? I tried using a shared drive link provided by someone, but I keep encountering errors. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Product: BD-RW BDR-UD03
Revision: 1.14
Serial number: ......
Firmware date: 2020-06-15
Bus encryption flags: 1B

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: RS8511