Do UHD drives in general support Blu-Ray game dumping?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Szeizer357

Do UHD drives in general support Blu-Ray game dumping?

Post by Szeizer357 »

Hey all. I'm interested in purchasing a UHD drive to dump some PS3 preview games.

The RPCS3 website lists drives that can be used for this, but the list doesn't include some of the UHD drives advertised on this forum. I'm wondering if UHD drives have, or can be expected to have, general PS3 game compatability of if there's some technical aspect which prevents UHD drives and PS3 compatible drives from fully overlapping.

Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: Do UHD drives in general support Blu-Ray game dumping?

Post by Woodstock »

Are you talking on a PS3, or on a PC/Mac/Linux box?

The PS3 would require a drive that had been modified to allow UHD. Many can be modified to do that on a computer, but not Pioneer drives built after 12/22/2022.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Szeizer357 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:44 pm
Hey all. I'm interested in purchasing a UHD drive to dump some PS3 preview games.

The RPCS3 website lists drives that can be used for this, but the list doesn't include some of the UHD drives advertised on this forum. I'm wondering if UHD drives have, or can be expected to have, general PS3 game compatability of if there's some technical aspect which prevents UHD drives and PS3 compatible drives from fully overlapping.

Thanks!
On that list, I see 2 "Official" UHD drives:

LG BU40N
LG WH16NS60

and many "Unofficial" UHD capable drives, once flashed/cross-flashed. The most popular of those are:

LG BH16NS55
LG WH14NS40
LG WH16NS40
LG BP50NB40 (cross-flashed to BU40N will also allow UHD reading)
LG WP50NB40 (cross-flashed to BU40N will also allow UHD reading)
ASUS BW-16D1HT

Any of these drives will allow you to rip UHD discs and also should read PS3 discs according to that list.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com
Szeizer357

Post by Szeizer357 »

I'm looking for an external, portable USB-powered drive.
Any of these drives will allow you to rip UHD discs and also should read PS3 discs according to that list.
I am indeed considering the LG BU40N but have been informed it's poor at burning; besides PS3 game support I'd like the drive to have full read, dump, and burn support. There are many drives advertised on this sub to be superb in all, but if it's not listed on the RPCS3 website I wonder if game dump support is somehow missing. I suppose it's not easy to say. I might see if sellers can test promising drives for me before I make a purchase.

In any case, thanks for the replies!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Szeizer357 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:18 pm
I'm looking for an external, portable USB-powered drive.
I am indeed considering the LG BU40N but have been informed it's poor at burning; besides PS3 game support I'd like the drive to have full read, dump, and burn support. There are many drives advertised on this sub to be superb in all, but if it's not listed on the RPCS3 website I wonder if game dump support is somehow missing. I suppose it's not easy to say. I might see if sellers can test promising drives for me before I make a purchase.

In any case, thanks for the replies!
For the PS3 games, you would want to write at 1x or 2x anyway, so as long as you have decent blank media, it should write them fine. That's really the only option for a portable, external option. You could get 2 drives, one being a Pioneer for writing as they are the best at it!

I have no idea if Pioneer drives are capable of reading PS3 discs. If they are, the Verbatim 43888 (contains a Pioneer BDR-UD04 inside) could be another option.

Do you know what software is used to read the PS3 game discs? I do have a Verbatim in stock and may be able to dust off one of my old PS3 games and test it for you...
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

pioneers do not read ps3 discs fyi
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Szeizer357

Post by Szeizer357 »

Do you know what software is used to read the PS3 game discs?
In the case of an external Blu-Ray drive the RPCS3 wiki dump guide uses the aptly named PS3 disc dumper.

Thanks for offering to make a test, even if it's a no-go with a Pioneer drive!