Newbie with a drive question§

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
SafetyThird

Newbie with a drive question§

Post by SafetyThird »

Hello all,

I've used makemkv to rip the occasional bluray and dvd recently since discovering it. I'm now looking to rip a 4k bluray so that I can have it on my server as I don't have a bluray drive for tv watching. I've not bought a 4k disk yet, I'm just trying to figure out if I either have what I need or what I would need to buy before investing in some 4k disks.

The drive I've had for a few years is a Buffalo BRXL-PT6U2V external usb drive which I understand is just a rebadged LG BU40N drive. When I run makemkv (beta) with no disk in the drive, I see the following:

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/rdisk6
Current profile: DVD-ROM
Manufacturer: BUFFALO
Product: Optical Drive
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: [redacted]
Bus encryption flags: 1B

No disc inserted

Does this mean I have version 1.00 firmware on it? There's no mention of it being libredrive capable, would anyone kindly be able to tell me how I would get more information on the drive and whether I'd need to flash it to be able to rip a 4k disk please. I'm reading through the main flashing guide and trying to figure out exactly what I need but it's taking me a little while to get my head round everything.

I'm mainly working on a Mac but have a PC gaming rig I can use for flashing if necessary.

Many thanks,
Coopervid

Re: Newbie with a drive question§

Post by Coopervid »

Post the complete Makemkv info.
SafetyThird

Post by SafetyThird »

Could you explain why you mean by ‘the complete makemkv info’ please. The info I pasted about is what it shows me when I connect the drive and click on it in makemkv. Is there another option to get additional information about the drive?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

SafetyThird wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2024 3:35 pm
Could you explain why you mean by ‘the complete makemkv info’ please. The info I pasted about is what it shows me when I connect the drive and click on it in makemkv. Is there another option to get additional information about the drive?
What you posted is the 'Drive Information' section. Can you also post the 'LibreDrive Information' section as well?
SafetyThird

Post by SafetyThird »

Sorry for continued, presumably, dumb questions but where do I find that libreDrive info? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm using Makemkv version 1.17.7 (beta) on a Mac. I've been through the preferences options, clicked on every tab in the interface but can't see anywhere that will give me that information.

I don't have a 4k bluray yet, do I need one to activate/show the libredrive info? My thought was to find out if I have everything I need or what I would need to buy before buying some disks in case it turns out it would be expensive to go down the route of ripping 4k disks.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2024 7:25 pm
\What you posted is the 'Drive Information' section. Can you also post the 'LibreDrive Information' section as well?
Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/rdisk6
Current profile: DVD-ROM
Manufacturer: BUFFALO
Product: Optical Drive
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: [redacted]
Bus encryption flags: 1B

No disc inserted
I interpret the 'No disc inserted' w/out any LibreDrive info in between to indicate that, in this case, it does not exist. Missing .sdf update? Not sure what to make of it?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

It should be right on the first screen of MakeMKV.

https://imgur.com/a/6FAdppt
SafetyThird

Post by SafetyThird »

So this is what I see

https://imgur.com/a/hXZoRm8

No libredrive info, I was wondering if I needed to put in a 4k disk before it would show that or not, hence my regional question.
SafetyThird

Post by SafetyThird »

I'm on what appears to be the latest version of the software, but it's the beta, unpaid, version. I don't want to shell out £50 to find out if what I have will work and was hoping the beta would at least work to allow me to test everything before investing money into a registered copy of makemkv and a 4k disk, which amounts to about £70 which I'd be out if it doesn't work or would need to invest in a whole new drive which would be that much again.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

SafetyThird wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:46 pm
So this is what I see

https://imgur.com/a/hXZoRm8

No libredrive info, I was wondering if I needed to put in a 4k disk before it would show that or not, hence my regional question.
Put a BD movie in the drive. And now?
SafetyThird

Post by SafetyThird »

I've just deleted the installed version of make mkv and then downloaded a fresh new install, installed it and when I run it I get the same screen with no libredrive info.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

SafetyThird wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:55 pm
I've just deleted the installed version of make mkv and then downloaded a fresh new install, installed it and when I run it I get the same screen with no libredrive info.
Put a BD in that drive. Does it change or not?
SafetyThird

Post by SafetyThird »

Put in a lurch disk and it recognised the disk. Tried to play it with vlc and it says the disk is corrupted. Disk is brand new and unplayed. Will do and plug the drive into the gaming pc and see what that says.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

SafetyThird wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:17 pm
Put in a lurch disk and it recognised the disk. Tried to play it with vlc and it says the disk is corrupted. Disk is brand new and unplayed. Will do and plug the drive into the gaming pc and see what that says.
I meant the status message....
SafetyThird

Post by SafetyThird »

put the drive on the gaming rig, did the same thing.

So, back on the Mac, I put the bluray disk back in and makemkv can see it and recognise the title and type as follows

https://imgur.com/L80G3qy

However, if I put a regular dvd disk in it shows the following error at the bottom

https://imgur.com/cbO0igx

So is makemkv is trying to authenticate some scrambled disk data but being unable to and does that mean there's a file missing somewhere that I need to get?