HL-DT-ST WH16NS58 Flashing

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Yarc1

HL-DT-ST WH16NS58 Flashing

Post by Yarc1 »

Hi, I am new to flashing drives and have just bought a WH16NS58DUP drive. I didn't realise until receiving it today that it is the DUP(lication) version so not sure if that will be an issue for making it a UHD-friendly drive and or a Libredrive ready one. As I'm new to flashing drives have become a little swamped with info on this site and whether I can flash this drive to make it LibreDrive enabled. I had originally bought this drive for DVDFab as it's listed as being UHD friendly but their tool for downgrading the firmware fails to flash this drive. Maybe it's because of the DUP, I don't know but have emailed them for support. In the meantime, thought I would investigate if it can be made Libredrive ready. When running MakeMKV I get the following Info:

Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS58
Revision: 1.V9
Serial number: [redacted]
Firmware date: 2122-03-30 14:54
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959

The Status of Possible, not yet enabled looks promising, but any help would be appreciated.
So far I have downloaded the SDtool Flasher and made a firmware dump of the current version, but stopped at this point.

Cheers,
Yarc1
Billycar11

Re: HL-DT-ST WH16NS58 Flashing

Post by Billycar11 »

Standard guide linked below should work.
Follow for the WH16NS60
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Yarc1

Post by Yarc1 »

Ok. Thanks. I have noticed there is an MKV firmware file with the same model number as my drive WH16NS58. Would you still recommend the WH16NS60 over this? I guess so as it's a later firmware.

I've realized that I should have stated the WH16NS58 is being used in a Vantec enclosure model number NST-540S3-BK, but I'm sure I read somewhere in this forum that this enclosure should be compatible with the flashing tool.

Thanks.
Yarc1

Post by Yarc1 »

Hi, decided to go ahead with your suggested firmware suggestion and it's worked. Thank you!!