Firmware flash for Bluray compatibility or just UHD support?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
DrLucky

Firmware flash for Bluray compatibility or just UHD support?

Post by DrLucky »

I have suddenly started running into issues when trying to rip some brand new blurays (not UHD)
The first disc of a series will work ok, but the next will fail about half way through.

I vaguely remembered when first looking into MakeMKV that some special drives might be required and that I felt pretty lucky that this cheap no-brand USB bluray drive off amazon was working for prior projects.
So when this failed, I figured my luck ran out and started researching drives. I read all through the flashing guide, and have planned to buy a WH16NS40 and enclosure.
I'm confident on the linux terminal for the flashing process, but still have a windows system ready in case I need the GUI.

However, the more I read, its seems I may be mistaking the necessity of one of these specific drives. I have no need for 4k/UHD ripping, just standard HD blurays.

So is the point of custom firmware for greater bluray support or simply to add UHD support?
MartyMcNuts

Re: Firmware flash for Bluray compatibility or just UHD support?

Post by MartyMcNuts »

DrLucky wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:32 am
I have suddenly started running into issues when trying to rip some brand new blurays (not UHD)
The first disc of a series will work ok, but the next will fail about half way through.

I vaguely remembered when first looking into MakeMKV that some special drives might be required and that I felt pretty lucky that this cheap no-brand USB bluray drive off amazon was working for prior projects.
So when this failed, I figured my luck ran out and started researching drives. I read all through the flashing guide, and have planned to buy a WH16NS40 and enclosure.
I'm confident on the linux terminal for the flashing process, but still have a windows system ready in case I need the GUI.

However, the more I read, its seems I may be mistaking the necessity of one of these specific drives. I have no need for 4k/UHD ripping, just standard HD blurays.

So is the point of custom firmware for greater bluray support or simply to add UHD support?
Flashing enables both libredrive and UHD support. You don't have to have either for standard BD discs but libredrive is handy as it'll stop your drive's certificate from being revoked when you insert a new BD disc that has a newer AACS version than MakeMKV can handle.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com