Drive has problem opening/reading some UHD

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
jontre

Drive has problem opening/reading some UHD

Post by jontre »

Hi Everyone,

I bought myself a 4K projector and has started to purchase UHD discs instead of regular blu-ray discs.

I bought a total of 15 movies on the black friday sale. 13 of these movies I was able to open and convert to MKV without a problem.

Unfortunately, the blu-ray driver does not seem to be able to open 2 of the discs. After standing for a good while and trying, it finally says that it is "no disc inserted". One of the movies the reader managed to open the second time I put it in the reader but as soon as I got to the menu to select titles it disappeared from the drive again which then reported "no disc inserted again".

I´ve not flashed my drive which is an Asus BW-16D1HT running on firmware 3.01, could a flash resolve this issue? The movies I cant open is The Super Mario Bros movie and Aquaman, and Super Mario is the one that the drives manage to open after a lot trouble and sounding really strained.

Thanks in advance! BR Jontre

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.01
Serial number: SIK91H9MI122
Firmware date: 2117-03-31 14:26
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 77

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 3.01
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
MartyMcNuts

Re: Drive has problem opening/reading some UHD

Post by MartyMcNuts »

jontre wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:51 am
Hi Everyone,

I bought myself a 4K projector and has started to purchase UHD discs instead of regular blu-ray discs.

I bought a total of 15 movies on the black friday sale. 13 of these movies I was able to open and convert to MKV without a problem.

Unfortunately, the blu-ray driver does not seem to be able to open 2 of the discs. After standing for a good while and trying, it finally says that it is "no disc inserted". One of the movies the reader managed to open the second time I put it in the reader but as soon as I got to the menu to select titles it disappeared from the drive again which then reported "no disc inserted again".

I´ve not flashed my drive which is an Asus BW-16D1HT running on firmware 3.01, could a flash resolve this issue? The movies I cant open is The Super Mario Bros movie and Aquaman, and Super Mario is the one that the drives manage to open after a lot trouble and sounding really strained.

Thanks in advance! BR Jontre

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.01
Serial number: SIK91H9MI122
Firmware date: 2117-03-31 14:26
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 77

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 3.01
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
Flashing won't help. Try cleaning the discs before trying again.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Wash the discs.
jontre

Post by jontre »

Thanks for reply, Aquaman did actually have a little fingerprintlike 3-4mm from the edge. After cleaning that away the drive managed to read the disc. The Super Mario disc however was as clean as one could ask in a none labratorie enviroment. However I gave it a wipe with microfiber cloth and managed to convert that one as well, even though it felt as the drive struggled with opening it.

Anyway, thanks again for the help!

Would my drive benefit if I flash if to a newer firmware? Or should just leave atm since everything seems to work!?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

UHDs have a very high data density compared to regular blu-rays and especially DVDs. A UHD might have 20x more data packed into the same area as a DVD. As such, UHDs are much more sensitive to dirt or scratches.

Others here can advise you on the best firmware for your drive. I would be inclined to leave your drive's firmware alone.

Probably the best thing you can do to improve your odds of getting a clean rip is to get a different, additional optical drive. In my experience, some drives just don't like some discs. I have 3 different optical drives and in the uncommon case that my main drive can't get a good rip, almost always one of my other drives can.