New burner for archiving

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
qwerty01

New burner for archiving

Post by qwerty01 »

Hello, I am looking for a blue-ray burner for archiving files. They will be burned on 25 GB and 50 GB mdiscs. Maybe in the future they will be 100 GB. What kind of drive should I buy? I see that the BH16NS55 is quite popular. Is there any point in flashing on WH16NS60? What will such a modification give me? I will be burning from 2 discs a year. I am interested in an internal writer.
I will not be ripping movies, so LD is unnecessary for me.
dcoke22

Re: New burner for archiving

Post by dcoke22 »

The consensus seems to be that the Pioneer drives are the best for burning.

Supposedly the LG drives often don't handle the layer change durning a burn very well. That means they can burn single layer 25GB discs okay, but not dual layer 50GB discs.

I haven't really burned a disc in years, so I don't have any personal experience here; I'm just regurgitating my received wisdom from this forum.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Please archive to hard disk. More affordable and disc quality has gone south. If you still want to burn discs read this for 50+GB discs.

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/the-lon ... -tl.86133/
qwerty01

Post by qwerty01 »

I keep photos and videos on my phones, my server, the backup will also be on another computer (in another apartment), but I also want to burn on discs (backup 3-2-1).
As far as I can see, Pioneer recorders at my place are only available externally (on USB 3).