Which companies still make drives for computers?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
homebdr

Which companies still make drives for computers?

Post by homebdr »

Curious as to who is making bluray drives for computers. From what I can tell not very many. Besides LG and Pioneer you may have Bufffalo. Then you have ASUS and Verbatim which for the most part are rebadged pioneer drives. But many others just didn't keep at it.

Companies I think of that I remember back in the day:

NEC
Sony/Optiarc
Benq
Creative Labs
Lite-On
Plextor
Yamaha

I miss having a choice in the market place. LG and Pioneer both have a few options in their brands for sure.
If there are any main stream brands that are supported in ripping UHD discs I would welcome the input.

Would really like a choice of drive manufacture besides just these 2 and I cannot see another brand that I am aware of that supports UHD Ripping. Which is why I welcome any input.

Appreciate comments and suggestions.
MartyMcNuts

Re: Which companies still make drives for computers?

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Nope, just LG and Pioneer.

I think ASUS are generally rebadged LG or Pioneer drives. Verbatim are rebadged Pioneer drives and Buffalo are rebadged LG drives.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
homebdr

Post by homebdr »

Just picked up this drive:

ASUS BW-16D1HT

Updated firmware and tested ripping 4k UHD without incident. I am noticing one weird thing I have never heard or seen before. The tray on the Asus when it opens up appears to be slamming open and makes a loud thud like it's hitting something or maybe the tray is just loud to open. I didn't think to check this out before updating the firmware so can't say if that is the issue or not.

The ripping though wasn't all that loud and it did take down Fast X in just 55 minutes so that's not bad. :D
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

homebdr wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:17 pm

ASUS BW-16D1HT

Updated firmware and tested ripping 4k UHD without incident. I am noticing one weird thing I have never heard or seen before. The tray on the Asus when it opens up appears to be slamming open and makes a loud thud like it's hitting something or maybe the tray is just loud to open. I didn't think to check this out before updating the firmware so can't say if that is the issue or not.

The ripping though wasn't all that loud and it did take down Fast X in just 55 minutes so that's not bad. :D
You worry about the wrong things. Pioneers are the better readers and burners. The LG / ASUS are faster but they tend to die early and they are finicky with 3-layer discs.
homebdr

Post by homebdr »

Coopervid wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:38 pm
homebdr wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:17 pm

ASUS BW-16D1HT

You worry about the wrong things. Pioneers are the better readers and burners. The LG / ASUS are faster but they tend to die early and they are finicky with 3-layer discs.
Thank You
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

You are welcome. And don't assume that everything is free and please be humble as a new member. The experience of the long term members is invaluable.