Writing to NAS

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Hoarditall

Writing to NAS

Post by Hoarditall »

Have a LG WP/BP50. When backing up UDs Tia NAS in a RAID 0 configuration, it would typically take a little over an hour. Backed up around 70 discs this way, no problem

I recently changed my NAS to a RAID 5 configuration, and now am having problems backing up to the NAS, was getting errors a lot, and the one successful attempt took over 2 hours.

I thought my drive was failing, but then tried backing up to the PC first rather than the NAS, and now it’s super fast getting done in about 40 min.

Am I not supposed to be backing up directly to a NAS?
Radiocomms237

Re: Writing to NAS

Post by Radiocomms237 »

My workflow is to backup to PC, then I rip any .mkv files needed, then I upload the whole folder (including the backup) to my NAS.

I only have a single 1Gb/s Ethernet cable between this PC and my NAS and it takes about three or four times longer to upload to the NAS than it does to do the backup itself (granted, there are more files in the folder by the time that happens), so my LAN transfer speed is definitely MUCH slower than my optical drive can read.

However, I'm very wary of file copy errors. When I transfer from PC to NAS I use Teracopy to verify the source & target files are identical (using CRC) so I pickup any errors, and it happens more often than you would think!

So I'm not confident enough to backup a disc directly across a LAN.

I know MakeMKV (supposedly) verifies the integrity of the transport streams (.m2ts files), and almost everything else on a disc has a redundant backup, but as stated, file copy errors do happen more often across my LAN than just transferring files within my PC.
flojo

Post by flojo »

Radiocomms237 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:33 pm
...my LAN transfer speed is definitely MUCH slower than my optical drive can read.
Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt (F.U.D.)

Your network is broken, be careful with the F.U.D. as other users might think this is normal. You should make sure your NIC is in gigabit mode, bad cables or hardware will drop it to 100mbit. If that is the case, usually unplugging it and plugging it back in will reset it. A more permanent fix is to use a better cable, 26 awg or better, s/ftp. If that doesn't work, your hardware is bad.

For the average user with a gigabit network, yes you can backup directly across it. 1000000000/8 = 125MB... in theory at least. In practice you should get ~117MB, which is much faster than any UHD drive can read.

For the RAID 5, is one or more of the drives not like the others? Is one of the drives a 2.5 HDD !!!
hydroptix

Post by hydroptix »

I rip directly to my tiny RAID 1 NAS for everything (over wifi 6!). Haven't had any issues. If it was working before with RAID 0, sounds like the NAS just can't keep up or there's a different network issue.
Probably currently watching Baby Driver on bluray, because all the streaming versions suck.