What is the best optical drive in 2023?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Billycar11

Re: What is the best optical drive in 2023?

Post by Billycar11 »

t3t4- wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:13 am

That guide is terribly confusing! Where even is the flasher anymore? I'm sorry, but that thread is a mess.
Regardless, version 1.02 is where all my problems began. So far so good though with v1.05. But now I have 3 drives to test with so I'll get some statistical facts pretty quickly.
i mean your 3 drives dont compare to our thousands 1.05 is going to have the sleepbug and does not rip any better than WH16NS60 1.02
its pure luck it worked after that if you would have tried again on 1.02 after cleaning the disc it likely would have worked with lg/asus desktop drive sometime something as simple as ejecting and putting the disc back in makes it work sometimes.
the pioneers are better no weird jank that you need to reboot the drive after a read error to get it out a a weird mode that sees no disc like on the asus/lg
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

t3t4- wrote:
asmcom wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:56 am
t3t4- wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:50 am

Which firmware version are you running in which drive/s?

I just ripped Pacific Rim Uprising 4K in my new WH16NS40 with 1.05 firmware, no problem at all. Then put that same disk into my old WH14NS40 with 1.04 firmware and it failed with read errors. So I updated that drive to v1.05 and tried again, it worked like a charm. That old 2017 drive worked just as well as my new 2023 drive once I updated the firmware.
We advise you to use the UHD guide by Billycar11.

viewtopic.php?t=19634

Recommended Firmware to flash for MakeMKV:
WH16NS60 on any Firmware directly to > WH16NS60 1.02MK

WH14NS40 on any Firmware directly to > WH16NS60 1.02MK

WH16NS40 on any Firmware directly to > WH16NS60 1.02MK

BH16NS55 on any Firmware directly to > WH16NS60 1.02MK

UH12NS40 on any Firmware directly to > WH16NS60 1.02MK

Asus BW-16D1HT on any Firmware directly to > Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK

BU40N on any Firmware directly to > BU40N 1.03MK

BP50NB40 to > BP50NB40-NB50-1.03MK then to > BP60NB10 1.02MK or 1.00MK
NB52 to > BP50NB40-NB50-1.03MK with enc > BP50NB40-NB50-1.03MK with bootloader/full flash > BP60NB10 1.00_HBD from Marty download/file.php?id=2143
if using command line add "full" after rawflash

BP60NB10 on any Firmware directly to > BP60NB10 1.02MK
That guide is terribly confusing! Where even is the flasher anymore? I'm sorry, but that thread is a mess.
Regardless, version 1.02 is where all my problems began. So far so good though with v1.05. But now I have three drives to test with, so I'll get some statistical facts pretty quickly.
You have to remember people do this voluntarily to help and provide information for forum members like yourself. Personally, I am very grateful to Billycar11 and Martymcnuts.

Several forum members continually answer posts and provide help. These people should be thanked and appreciated for their continued help and support. The excellent UHD guide is brilliant and has helped hundreds of forum members.

Maybe you should show some respect to these guys and say a big thank you. I am sure other forum members are very grateful for all the help this forum provides and the source of valuable information. Sorry you think the thread that contains the guides is a mess.

Asmcom :mrgreen:
Last edited by asmcom on Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
t3t4-

Post by t3t4- »

Billycar11 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:02 am
t3t4- wrote:

Regardless, version 1.02 is where all my problems began. So far so good though with v1.05. But now I have 3 drives to test with so I'll get some statistical facts pretty quickly.
i mean your 3 drives dont compare to our thousands 1.05 is going to have the sleepbug and does not rip any better than WH16NS60 1.02
its pure luck it worked after that if you would have tried again on 1.02 after cleaning the disc it likely would have worked with lg/asus desktop drive sometime something as simple as ejecting and putting the disc back in makes it work sometimes.
the pioneers are better no weird jank that you need to reboot the drive after a read error to get it out a a weird mode that sees no disc like on the asus/lg
I have well over 1k rips on just my oldest drive alone, probably 600ish on my second drive, and 4 so far on my newest drive. If opening and closing or turning off/on again made any difference, I wouldn't own 3 drives! If my Pioneer BDR-S13UBK drive had worked at all for 4K, I never would have asked the question "What is the best optical drive in 2023?"..... I haven't used v1.02 on anything since sometime back in 2017. My drives don't go to sleep, they rip or they throw read errors and that's it. Didn't 'you' write/modify the MK 1.05 firmware? If it doesn't work then why put it in the list of options? I'm telling you it's been working just fine, in fact it's the only version yet that has been working just fine on troublesome 4k disks. I haven't used v1.02 in "years". Oh, and I don't just clean a questionable disk, I polish it with a drill, wool or sponge pad and some plastic polish. Been doing all of this for 'decades' now. Ha, been on this earth decades longer than that, yep I'm old now!
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

t3t4- wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:41 am
. I haven't used v1.02 on anything since sometime back in 2017.
ahh now it all comes to light wh16ns60 1.02mk did not exist in 2017 that fw did not hit the streets until late 2018/early 2019
so you were using the wrong fw likely wh16ns40 1.02
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
t3t4-

Post by t3t4- »

Billycar11 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:00 am
t3t4- wrote:
ahh now it all comes to light wh16ns60 1.02mk did not exist in 2017 that fw did not hit the streets until late 2018/early 2019
Yeah that could very well be. It's been a long time ago and my memory, well, sucks. I ran Asus drives until my first wh14ns40 when I began to play 4K disks back in 2017. I only remember the date because it's written on the drive itself lol.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Billycar11 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:00 am
t3t4- wrote:
Well Done Billy! You got to the bottom of the issue.

audiom3

Post by audiom3 »

asmcom wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=19634
I am running 1.02 with all three of my LGs (BP60 included). Four if you include my dead one.
1.01 on my Pioneer because it came with that FW.
And my ASUS (x2) are on 3.10.
asmcom wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:47 am

You have to remember people do this voluntarily to help and provide information for forum members like yourself. Personally, I am very grateful to Billycar11 and Martymcnuts.

Several forum members continually answer posts and provide help. These people should be thanked and appreciated for their continued help and support. The excellent UHD guide is brilliant and has helped hundreds of forum members.

Maybe you should show some respect to these guys and say a big thank you. I am sure other forum members are very grateful for all the help this forum provides and the source of valuable information. Sorry you think the thread that contains the guides is a mess.

I agree 100%. Without those guys, none of us would be ripping discs with our own drives unless we happened to stumble upon a Pioneer that worked out of the box...

I am pointing out my real world experience and I think those who claim Pioneer is the best drive just need to be careful. The best UHD drive? Yes. But in this thread, they asked for the best drive to 'rip all media types available'. To recommend a Pioneer would be a mistake because it does not do well with 720/1080 BD (and I suspect DVD) media. I will stand by my 'there is not a one best drive to rip all types of media' statement. Because there just isn't. You need more than one drive and ideally, more than one make of drives.
And don't be sorry for my skepticism. I was correct with it in that you did not test the Pioneers with any Bluray media. That makes sense and I can fully respect and trust your testing protocol now.
t3t4-

Post by t3t4- »

audiom3 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:50 pm
asmcom wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=19634
I am running 1.02 with all three of my LGs (BP60 included). Four if you include my dead one.
asmcom wrote:

I agree 100%. Without those guys, none of us would be ripping discs with our own drives unless we happened to stumble upon a Pioneer that worked out of the box...

I am pointing out my real world experience and I think those who claim Pioneer is the best drive just need to be careful. The best UHD drive? Yes. But in this thread, they asked for the best drive to 'rip all media types available'. To recommend a Pioneer would be a mistake because it does not do well with 720/1080 BD (and I suspect DVD) media. I will stand by my 'there is not a one best drive to rip all types of media' statement. Because there just isn't. You need more than one drive and ideally, more than one make of drives.
And don't be sorry for my skepticism. I was correct with it in that you did not test the Pioneers with any Bluray media. That makes sense and I can fully respect and trust your testing protocol now.
I have nothing but appreciation and respect for the help and tools that have been given to me over the years!

But this is exactly what happens in every forum everywhere! Most don't or can't read and understand simply what was written, they cannot and will not ask questions to gain clarification, Instead, the 99% just make wildly bold and inaccurate assumptions and make a total mess of every page because of it!

Ya see, I have that disorder where I simply tell the truth and it pisses people off. I don't know what they call it, but I was born with it.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

t3t4- wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:24 pm
audiom3 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:50 pm
asmcom wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=19634
asmcom wrote:

I have nothing but appreciation and respect for the help and tools that have been given to me over the years!

But this is exactly what happens in every forum everywhere! Most don't or can't read and understand simply what was written, they cannot and will not ask questions to gain clarification, Instead, the 99% just make wildly bold and inaccurate assumptions and make a total mess of every page because of it!

Ya see, I have that disorder where I simply tell the truth and it pisses people off. I don't know what they call it, but I was born with it.
No worries, friend. I understand that most people on these forums have full-time jobs and help out here in their spare time as a hobby and like helping others.

These people were also born with a special gift as in they are givers that tend to provide support to others with no strings attached. I admire the support and appreciate all the help that these people give and the kind help they offer. These people ( the givers in life) are a great example of how we all should be. So a big thank you to all these great forum members we have.

I guess no harm was done. I am wishing you health and happiness and good luck with the gift you were born with.

Asmcom
t3t4-

Post by t3t4- »

I guess no harm was done. I am wishing you health and happiness and good luck with the gift you were born with.

Asmcom
🍻
t3t4-

Post by t3t4- »

The best drive I guess is which ever one you have that works.

The problem I was plagued with was apparently all firmware related. My oldest drive from 2017 is copying 4K every bit as good now as my newest 2023 drive. Out of 24 UHD 4K disks tested, these are the results:

wh14ns40 - (2017) firmware version 1.05mk. 24 UHD disks tested 100% success.
wh14ns40 - (2020) firmware version 1.03/4. 24 UHD disks tested 70% read error failure.
wh16ns40 - (2023) firmware version 1.05mk. 24 UHD disks tested 100% success.

As previously stated, v1.02 is where my troubles began many years ago and I have not used v1.02 since. "IF" there is a newer version of the 1.02 firmware available, I don't know and have not tested. So far v1.05 is working 100% of the time, and if it ain't broke then I ain't fixin it!