Which drive to replace ASUS BC-12D2HT

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
UHDRipmytime

Which drive to replace ASUS BC-12D2HT

Post by UHDRipmytime »

Hi all,

I have a ASUS BC-12D2HT which I have been using for quite a few years now. Over the years I have had about 95% success on ripping my UHD's after quite a lot of retrying runs after cleaning/ejecting or having to do a full backup of a disk to rip it :l . I had a UHD 4k explode in my drive last week as it had trouble reading the disk, I have since stripped it all down/cleaned and updated from 3.00 to 3.11MK it ripped one UHD after this but recent disk's i have are failing backups or half way etc. Might be the disk's but never seemed to had this many issues even one 1080BD is giving me issue

Looking at Pioneer-BDR-XD07TB-Slim-Portable-Burner £95

Looking for suggestions because i'm willing to spend more if another drive is known to be more reliable

Thanks in advance
Billycar11

Re: Which drive to replace ASUS BC-12D2HT

Post by Billycar11 »

Not going to work out of the box and you can't flash it pioneers need to be flashed by a seller who sells pioneers for now
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
UHDRipmytime

Post by UHDRipmytime »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:56 pm
Not going to work out of the box and you can't flash it pioneers need to be flashed by a seller who sells pioneers for now
Thanks I did not know that about pioneers. Any other manufacturers you cant flash? I had to flash my ASUS a few versions before I got it down to 3.00 4 years ago.
reliablemkvmachine

Post by reliablemkvmachine »

Hey OP,

Check out the Pioneer BDR-S13J-X. If you are happy for going reliability over the price + never having to worry about flashing firmware. Grab that, it's expensive but an absolute machine that works with the UHD discs with no messing about required. Ripped 100+ discs now and am loving it!

It's actually come down a lot in price since I bought mine, so I definately recommend picking it up!
The Pioneer BDR-S13J-X never fails.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

reliablemkvmachine wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:40 am
Hey OP,

Check out the Pioneer BDR-S13J-X. If you are happy for going reliability over the price + never having to worry about flashing firmware. Grab that, it's expensive but an absolute machine that works with the UHD discs with no messing about required. Ripped 100+ discs now and am loving it!

It's actually come down a lot in price since I bought mine, so I definately recommend picking it up!
Not right now. Since Dec 2022 they come with a firmware that doesn't work for UHD ripping. If you want to rip with a Pioneer get a drive from the sellers in this forum or wait until a fix for the new firmware is available.